Upgrad to OS 3 stuck on setting up Wifi

TEH BUTCHER

Waited for a long time ended up doing a power cycle which took me back to the same spot "setting up wifi".

Ended up doing a physical reset using to the back button and on reboot took me back through the 3.0 setup and let me in /shrug

Only issue I have right now is accessing the OS over wifi it times out using the router IP, I can access via Ethernet though.

1 hour ago, Netduma Liam said:

Good work fixing that!

Are you able to connect to the Wi-Fi network OK? Does the password appear to be correct?

Actually I have some configuration I need to figure out, I probably need to make a thread on this but my network is fiber modem wired to R1, R1 wired to an EERO mesh router and my Xbox. The R1 can't handle the wireless for my home so I use a different router for that.

I only really care about geo filter and packet prioritization for my xbox regarding features. My connection is like 200 down 130 up so I congestion hasn't been an issue.

Right now my xbox has a static IP it isn't able to get out to the internet wired to my R1 that's the problem I'm trying to solve. Right now I'm running in over WIFI connected to the EERO.

I think I should be able to disable WIFI on the R1 and use it as a gateway to the EERO and still use a wired connection off the R1 to the xbox?

Any thoughts or general advice for my environment?

19 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It doesn't get an internet connection at all or a strict NAT?

You can definitely disable the WiFi on the R1 and use the Eero WiFi instead and you can connect the Xbox to it still. 

No connection when wired, the tests i did was an inability to connect to xbox live and the xbox test connection options failed. It has to be something small but I'm not sure what to check.

It has a static IP assigned currently which I used under the old configuration for port forwarding. I didn't save configuration so there are currently no rules.

11 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Have you disabled DHCP on the R1 by any chance? Did you assign that IP on the console itself? If so switch to automatic, does it regain a connection?

DHCP is turned on on the R1. The IP is assigned on the console itself. I'll try auto when I get home tonight.

I can't get to the DumaOS now wired connected directly or wireless connected through the 2nd router (wifi is disabled on the R1) Windows isn't even seeing it in the network center even though I'm wired to the R1 and showing connected to a connection windows is calling "Network 2"

I did try Automatic for the IP on the xbox before I tried getting into the DumaOS and it didn't work. It works fine on WIFI connected to the second router but once I disable wifi with wired into the R1 no dice.

I have fully power cycled everything a couple times.

So I'm really stumped now since I can't even get to the interface.

Got in by disconnecting everything except Modem wired to router and computer wired to router. The Mesh router is disconnected and powered off.

Is it possible since the wifi setup botched on the upgrade that the wifi configuration is messed up? The ethernet connection into the R1 is showing an ID of "Pretty Fly for a Wifi" which is the SSID I used on the R1 before adding the EERO. As you can see in the SS below that SSID isn't showing on the R1.

So I'm getting out to the internet wired through the R1 right now but when I try to add the xbox it isn't able to get out with IP and MAC set to automatic. It feels like a botched upgrade to me?

883297732_WifiOff.png.54a276db7d65d0482d3301fb44674881.png

• Administrators

That was a rollercoaster read! Didn't really make sense why that device specifically but that would explain it! Is it all working as expected now? Next step would be connecting the mesh and double checking if everything has full functionality. 

8 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That was a rollercoaster read! Didn't really make sense why that device specifically but that would explain it! Is it all working as expected now? Next step would be connecting the mesh and double checking if everything has full functionality. 

Plugged in mesh and it fired right up...

Now I just need to work on getting my NAT open again when wired. Showed open when connected with the wireless. Any thoughts there?

IIRC I had to use port forwarding to get the NAT open when wired.

12 hours ago, TEH BUTCHER said:

Plugged in mesh and it fired right up...

Now I just need to work on getting my NAT open again when wired. Showed open when connected with the wireless. Any thoughts there?

IIRC I had to use port forwarding to get the NAT open when wired.

Where are you seeing this, in-game? Does this change if you temporarily disable Geo-filter? 

If not, you could try accessing your modem's interface and put the R1s WAN IP in it's DMZ, I'd also suggest reserving this IP for the R1 so it doesn't change in the future.

1 hour ago, Netduma Liam said:

Where are you seeing this, in-game? Does this change if you temporarily disable Geo-filter? 

If not, you could try accessing your modem's interface and put the R1s WAN IP in it's DMZ, I'd also suggest reserving this IP for the R1 so it doesn't change in the future.

On the Xbox itself showing Nat moderate from the xbox's test NAT function. I'll have to verify in game as well IIRC i've seen the console and the game itself conflict regarding NAT.

I'm not sure how to reserve the WAN IP for the R1 unless I'm thinking of the wrong thing I believe my ISP assigns it and it doesn't change unless the mac address changes.

9 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

What is the modem/router the R1 is plugged into? Then we can best advise.

Internet is FTTP coming into a G-240G-A ONT, there is also a little TL-SF1005D switch in the box with the ONT which I'm not sure why it's there since I only have 1 cable that's active coming into the house and the ONT has enough ports(maybe I''m missing the purpose I'll have to chase all the wires I suppose)The house has ethernet runs to a few rooms but I don't use them they don't even have sockets on them. 

From there I have a cable directly to the R1, the R1 is wired to the Xbox, and wired to the EERO mesh router.

Connection limit I pay for is 200, Duma OS test showed 167 down 88 up so I don't really have congestion concerns. My main goals are Open NAT and the Xbox and traffic priority/lowest possible ping on the xbox. Everything else in the house is handled fine by the mesh system w/o latency concerns (no other gaming)

Network Map.PNG

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Does the ONT have an interface that you're aware of? What is the WAN IP of the R1 shown in System Information - does it start with 192.168 or 184.170?

I'm not sure the ISP wants homeowners to access the ONT they always said if they need to reset it or makes changes they'll do it remote.

WAN IP starts 100.95

• Administrators

That's interesting because that isn't your public IP at all, so you're double NATd it seems like which is why you're having trouble. Could you call them and see what is happening in that regard?

6 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That's interesting because that isn't your public IP at all, so you're double NATd it seems like which is why you're having trouble. Could you call them and see what is happening in that regard?

Yeah I can call. I really am not sure what to ask though? What should I ask about or ask them to change?

Yeah they're using CGNAT according to that. 4 hops to hit my public IP.

Haven't asked them yet myself but found a reddit post saying they charge an extra $10 a month for a static IP.

Everything seems to be working fine for the most part from a pure latency standpoint (was getting sub 10ms connections last night) Which as we know is about is good as it gets for online play.

That has me wondering though because in game the ping was showing 40-50ms but the dumaOS was showing like 10ms. Is it possible the Duma was showing the ping to my ISP and not the game server? (because of CGNAT)

Also was reading they don't support IPV6 so should I turn that off on the router or is it irrelevant?

Also just for reference the first hop was my mesh router, then the R1, then the WAN IP according to Duma OS, then my public IP per google.

• Administrators

It's worth contacting them anyway, as someone who discovered they had CGNAT recently was offered a static IP for free and completely resolved their NAT issues. Say you're having NAT issues, don't mention any other routers or anything like that and see what they come back with. Say you're directly connected to the ONT/switch.

That discrepancy will be because DumaOS is pinging the server directly whilst the extra ping will come from processing delay etc, you might find a server with lower delay but slightly higher ping to the server directly but overall may be better.

If you don't have IPv6 then I'd suggest disabling in WAN/LAN yes but unlikely to make much difference.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It's worth contacting them anyway, as someone who discovered they had CGNAT recently was offered a static IP for free and completely resolved their NAT issues. Say you're having NAT issues, don't mention any other routers or anything like that and see what they come back with. Say you're directly connected to the ONT/switch.

That discrepancy will be because DumaOS is pinging the server directly whilst the extra ping will come from processing delay etc, you might find a server with lower delay but slightly higher ping to the server directly but overall may be better.

If you don't have IPv6 then I'd suggest disabling in WAN/LAN yes but unlikely to make much difference.

Will do thanks.