Internet connection drops

Hi guys,

Lately, I've been getting connection drops where my device is left hanging, waiting on something to load. I was wondering how to debug this issue? The network views appear to be live so it's difficult to see if the router stops sending traffic to that device. Is there any way to see a historical view of the network monitor? Or even an API where I can output logs to something like Kibana/ Grafana to have a view of it? My modem shows it's staying up and SNR is 6 which is healthy, it also shows the correct max upload and download I should be getting.

In the Duma logs, I can only see constant DOS/ Fraggle Attacks, should these be of worry? 

[DoS attack: Fraggle Attack] from source UNKNOWN,port 19893 Monday, Mar 29,2021 09:53:16
[DoS attack: Fraggle Attack] from source UNKNOWN,port 19848 Monday, Mar 29,2021 09:53:06
[DoS attack: Fraggle Attack] from source UNKNOWN,port 19816 Monday, Mar 29,2021 09:52:56
[DoS attack: Fraggle Attack] from source UNKNOWN,port 19739 Monday, Mar 29,2021 09:52:46
[DoS attack: Fraggle Attack] from source UNKNOWN,port 19704 Monday, Mar 29,2021 09:52:36
[DoS attack: Fraggle Attack] from source UNKNOWN,port 19612 Monday, Mar 29,2021 09:52:26
[DoS attack: Fraggle Attack] from source UNKNOWN,port 19608 Monday, Mar 29,2021 09:52:26
[DoS attack: Fraggle Attack] from source UNKNOWN,port 19608 Monday, Mar 29,2021 09:52:16
[DoS attack: Fraggle Attack] from source UNKNOWN,port 19490 Monday, Mar 29,2021 09:52:06
[DoS attack: Fraggle Attack] from source UNKNOWN,port 19460 Monday, Mar 29,2021 09:51:56
[DoS attack: Fraggle Attack] from source UNKNOWN,port 19348 Monday, Mar 29,2021 09:51:46
[DoS attack: Fraggle Attack] from source UNKNOWN,port 19345 Monday, Mar 29,2021 09:51:36
[DoS attack: Fraggle Attack] from source UNKNOWN,port 19278 Monday, Mar 29,2021 09:51:26
[DoS attack: Fraggle Attack] from source UNKNOWN,port 19225 Monday, Mar 29,2021 09:51:16
[DoS attack: Fraggle Attack] from source UNKNOWN,port 19202 Monday, Mar 29,2021 09:51:06
[DoS attack: Fraggle Attack] from source UNKNOWN,port 19184 Monday, Mar 29,2021 09:50:56
[DoS attack: Fraggle Attack] from source UNKNOWN,port 19117 Monday, Mar 29,2021 09:50:46
[DoS attack: Fraggle Attack] from source UNKNOWN,port 19080 Monday, Mar 29,2021 09:50:36
[DoS attack: Fraggle Attack] from source UNKNOWN,port 19027 Monday, Mar 29,2021 09:50:26
[DoS attack: Fraggle Attack] from source UNKNOWN,port 18899 Monday, Mar 29,2021 09:50:16
[DoS attack: Fraggle Attack] from source UNKNOWN,port 18816 Monday, Mar 29,2021 09:50:06
[DoS attack: Fraggle Attack] from source UNKNOWN,port 18755 Monday, Mar 29,2021 09:49:56
[DoS attack: Fraggle Attack] from source UNKNOWN,port 18750 Monday, Mar 29,2021 09:49:46
[DoS attack: Fraggle Attack] from source UNKNOWN,port 18685 Monday, Mar 29,2021 09:49:36
[DoS attack: Fraggle Attack] from source UNKNOWN,port 18579 Monday, Mar 29,2021 09:49:25

Not sure if this could be my modem doing something either? Any help would be much appreciated.

What device are you seeing this on? Your PC or perhaps a mobile device? 

So you're able to access the interface while you're experiencing this issue? Does the resource you're waiting to load eventually load or do you have to manually reboot anything in order to get it to load?

Those DoS attacks unfortunately appear in logs frequently and are almost always harmless, do any entries show an IP or do they all say 'UNKOWN'?

1 minute ago, Netduma Liam said:

What device are you seeing this on? Your PC or perhaps a mobile device? 

So you're able to access the interface while you're experiencing this issue? Does the resource you're waiting to load eventually load or do you have to manually reboot anything in order to get it to load?

Those DoS attacks unfortunately appear in logs frequently and are almost always harmless, do any entries show an IP or do they all say 'UNKOWN'?

Thanks very much for the prompt response!

Seeing it on mobile devices. Both on iPhone and iPad. 

The dropout seems to be quick. So if I get disconnected from a video call, I can just call back ok - I connected to the interface after the dropout and tried monitoring the logs but didn’t experience anymore dropout during that time. Happened loading YouTube as well, disconnecting/ reconnecting seemed to solve the issue. 

I don’t have to reboot the router to get things to work again but during important calls, I can’t afford dropouts unfortunately. 

In the logs, there’s no IP address for those logs, they all appear as unknown. 

1 hour ago, TheJam said:

Thanks very much for the prompt response!

Seeing it on mobile devices. Both on iPhone and iPad. 

The dropout seems to be quick. So if I get disconnected from a video call, I can just call back ok - I connected to the interface after the dropout and tried monitoring the logs but didn’t experience anymore dropout during that time. Happened loading YouTube as well, disconnecting/ reconnecting seemed to solve the issue. 

I don’t have to reboot the router to get things to work again but during important calls, I can’t afford dropouts unfortunately. 

In the logs, there’s no IP address for those logs, they all appear as unknown. 

Thanks for the information! OK so how is your QoS currently configured? Is share excess enabled? Do you have the same issues with QoS fully disabled from the three line menu in Congestion Control? How far are the devices from the router when you experience these issue or does it occur anywhere? 

QoS is currently configured by device type. 23% for gaming and 9% for all other categories. 

I’ve not tried disabling QoS yet. Should that be my next troubleshooting step?

Devices are close to the router. iPad is in the same room as an AP (<2m away with no obstructions) - the AP (Netgear Orbi) which is hard wired to the router. 

iPhone is in a room next to the router (again about 2m away but with a wall in between). Typically has had good signal (no signal stats showing in the device table in the router though). I’ve already mapped that part of the house and it’s on its own 5GHz channel. Several devices in the same room as the iPhone don’t have the same issue - Apple TV, Sony TV, Apple HomePod. 

With the share excess, it will be on the default setting, I’m not at my router to check but it’s not an option I’ve ever changed. Once I check, I can confirm that with you though (currently away from the router). 

4 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Thanks for the information! OK so how is your QoS currently configured? Is share excess enabled? Do you have the same issues with QoS fully disabled from the three line menu in Congestion Control? How far are the devices from the router when you experience these issue or does it occur anywhere? 

Share excess is enabled for both upload and download

• Administrators

It's unlikely to be QoS but it's possible it sees it as traffic worth dropping, thus causing the issue so yes go ahead and disable that fully but first, on the Apple devices do you have Private address enabled on the devices? By default it is enabled, disable this and see whether that resolves it. 

On 3/31/2021 at 12:31 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

It's unlikely to be QoS but it's possible it sees it as traffic worth dropping, thus causing the issue so yes go ahead and disable that fully but first, on the Apple devices do you have Private address enabled on the devices? By default it is enabled, disable this and see whether that resolves it. 

Cheers Fraser. I did check and it does have Private address enabled. Is this known to cause issues with Netgear devices? What issues can it cause?

• Administrators

Not necessarily known no but it randomizes the MAC address and for a router that relies on applying settings to specific devices you can see where that may cause some problems. Possible disconnections, TP not applying properly etc.

37 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Not necessarily known no but it randomizes the MAC address and for a router that relies on applying settings to specific devices you can see where that may cause some problems. Possible disconnections, TP not applying properly etc.

Ah, I see. That’s good to know, thanks very much for the info!