Two Xbox's Issues

Hi,

I'm currently trying to set up my router to allow 2 xbox's to work at the same time. The current issues with RDR2 Online is that it takes multiple attempts to join my brother, who's on the same network, and we got disconnected half way through a mission as well. Overall, it wasn't great. At the moment, I just have UPnP enabled, I forgot to set up static IP's so I'll do that and test again tonight.

What would the recommended steps be to take to get 2 xbox's working together ok? I don't want to waste a huge amount of time like I have done with my previous router. Unfortunately, I've tried asking others in the house if I could DMZ the router on the modem but everyone refused so that's not an option. I noticed with port forwarding for Call of Duty and RDR2 Online, they only give the option of one port instead of a range for some of them to be able to port forward 2 consoles. I also manually assigned both xbox's to use separate manual ports rather than having one on 3075 and that didn't work either. 

As I'll have to factory reset the router with the beta firmware to fix the NAT issue with multiple xbox's, I want to leave applying that until last as I've set up every device in the house to have a unique name (50+ devices) so I want to avoid doing that all again if possible.

Any recommendations would be hugely appreciated.

On another note, there seems to be an issue with Geo-Filtering. I played Red Dead Redemption 2 with Geo-Filtering on to 1200m, both Xbox's added as devices. It joined me into a server but I couldn't join the server for the other xbox which is in my household, or another friend from another household. They also couldn't join me. Disabling geo-filtering and restarting the game worked ok. I also couldn't get Call of Duty Warzone to connect with Geo-Filtering on either with just one xbox on, it kept refusing access on start-up. When disabling it, it would work again so I'm not sure what the issue is with it. I could only get it to work for Rocket League online. In the Ping Heatmap for RL, it only shows several servers worldwide, is there an issue or is there just hardly any servers available anymore?

• Administrators

Is your modem and modem/router that provides WiFi? If so, without putting the XR into the DMZ of that then it won't be possible to get an open NAT. I wouldn't use the Geo for RDR2 as we haven't specifically tested it for that game so that should help with the connectivity issues. How are both consoles connected to the router? 

How have you added the device to the Geo-Filter - does it say console underneath the device? Looks like some servers have failed to ping so we can resolve that.

It’s the router that provides WiFi, the modem doesn’t have any WiFi, and it’s a modem only, not a modem/ router combo. Both Xbox’s are connected via Ethernet. 

Under the device it does say ‘Games Consoles’ for both. 

46 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Is your modem and modem/router that provides WiFi? If so, without putting the XR into the DMZ of that then it won't be possible to get an open NAT. I wouldn't use the Geo for RDR2 as we haven't specifically tested it for that game so that should help with the connectivity issues. How are both consoles connected to the router? 

How have you added the device to the Geo-Filter - does it say console underneath the device? Looks like some servers have failed to ping so we can resolve that.

Ah, the only option to DMZ the router? That’s really disappointing to hear. 

You had suggested firmware before which allows open NAT on multiple devices. I saw some people didn’t have much luck with it though. Is that still an option or was that a TPOC that’s not going to work? 

Can putting a DMZ on one Xbox on the router, or port forwarding/ port triggering work at all?

• Administrators

Sorry what I meant to say is do you have a pure modem (no wifi) or a modem/router (wifi) that the XR connects to? If it is a pure modem then you should be able to achieve an Open NAT in which case the firmware I have PM'd you may help by using the NAT open option in WAN Settings which would be easier. 

1 minute ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Sorry what I meant to say is do you have a pure modem (no wifi) or a modem/router (wifi) that the XR connects to? If it is a pure modem then you should be able to achieve an Open NAT in which case the firmware I have PM'd you may help by using the NAT open option in WAN Settings which would be easier. 

It’s a pure modem with no WiFi, one of the white rectangle BT OpenReach branded ones that’s a Huawei. 

I probably won’t have time to do that, factory reset my router and set everything up again tonight but I’ll let you know how it goes when I apply it and play a few games of Xbox. Thanks!

On the issue with me being unable to connect to Warzone while using Geo-Filtering on a single console. Is there any known issues with that?

I set Geo-Filtering. 
Started Warzone and tried to connect. 
disabled and re-enabled Geo-Filtering and restarted Warzone again with no luck. 

As soon as I disabled Geo-Filtering, I joined in fine. I did play multiplayer and put it back on without restarting the game and it seemed to pick up the servers that was in my Geo-Filter area. Don’t know if that’s just coincidence or not though. 

• Administrators

Okay keep us posted! There shouldn't be an issue unless with the update yesterday they introduced a new server that we need to whitelist. When you boot up the game initially and try to connect to the lobby, check to see whether there is anything blocked - if so then a) add it to your allow list and it should let you in and b) provide us with the ID and we can add it to the cloud.

On 2/25/2021 at 8:45 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay keep us posted! There shouldn't be an issue unless with the update yesterday they introduced a new server that we need to whitelist. When you boot up the game initially and try to connect to the lobby, check to see whether there is anything blocked - if so then a) add it to your allow list and it should let you in and b) provide us with the ID and we can add it to the cloud.

Set up static IP’s for both Xbox’s and restarted the router. It’s made a huge difference to the connection. Played Red Dead Redemption 2 Online and played Warzone/ Modern Warfare Multiplayer with one of the Xbox’s setup for Geo-filtering and let that Xbox host. I didn’t need to apply the firmware you sent for the open NAT issue with multiple devices. 

No in-game disconnects and the Geo-Filtering for COD is a total game changer!! A couple of disconnects randomly in the squad lobby but it was very quick to join back in again. Before, I’d die walking around corners instantly, bullets wouldn’t do much damage, big differences between what I’m shooting at and what I’m seeing in kill cam. Last night was a perfect test with how many people were camping around corners. Was able to walk around them and I could at least get shots off, most of the time I’d get the kill. Didn’t get killed once after running around a corner (out of line of sight) while getting shot in the back which used to happen a lot!

Multiplayer ping for the both of us was around 25 - 30ms, warzone ping around 40-50ms. A huge improvement over the old router by around 15-20ms which is just crazy. No weird party chat disconnects, no getting disconnected from games. Super happy 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻 I think I’ll need to test this out at least a dozen more times to be convinced that the issues both our Xbox’s have been having are resolved but so far so good.

The best online gaming experience I’ve had I ever with two Xbox’s and we’ve been playing for over 10 years now so a huge thanks for that!