QoS Setup Question

Unfinished

I have some questions regarding setup of the QoS function.

I fully understand how the system can be setup and the need to load the network whilst carrying out the setting adjustments, but still have a few queries.

1. With a fairly modest download speed, streaming just one HD video can fully use all of my 14M (at best) bandwidth, is the idea to fully saturate the network whilst setting up the QoS?
  2. The auto setup function gives wildly different results from the previous firmware (the exact opposite, in fact) with results of around 95% down and 65% up, given that I have 14M down and 3M up, that doesn't seem like a lot to leave for prioritisation of the two Xboxes that will be the main benefactors of the R2 functions, that would be 0.7M down and 1M up. Does this seem correct?
  3. Running the connection benchmarks gives different ping results than the auto-setup wizard shows. Manual setup seems to suggest that the ideal settings for me are around 45-50%D and 40-45%U why would this be so different to the auto-setup results?
  4. Is the prioritised traffic percentage evenly split between multiple devices, or could one device hog the prioritised bandwidth?

I am mainly asking, as since the .205 update, I'm having difficulty finding a stable setting and occasionally the Geo-filter stops working altogether. 

Thanks for posting!

To answer your questions:

1. You don't need to saturate the network when setting up QoS, it can be useful for testing though, but not necessary.

2. Auto-setup can sometimes give some curious results, we're working on improving this.  I'd recommend starting at around 70/70 and appropriately prioritising the XBOX(s) in Bandwidth allocation, bare in mind that gaming doesn't actually use that much bandwidth!

3. As above, auto-setup is being worked on, it's usually pretty good actually but in some cases in can be a little off.

4. As long as they're allocated enough bandwidth, two prioritised devices shouldn't limit one-another, particularly with 'Share excess' enabled in Congestion Control.

4 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Thanks for posting!

To answer your questions:

1. You don't need to saturate the network when setting up QoS, it can be useful for testing though, but not necessary.

2. Auto-setup can sometimes give some curious results, we're working on improving this.  I'd recommend starting at around 70/70 and appropriately prioritising the XBOX(s) in Bandwidth allocation, bare in mind that gaming doesn't actually use that much bandwidth!

3. As above, auto-setup is being worked on, it's usually pretty good actually but in some cases in can be a little off.

4. As long as they're allocated enough bandwidth, two prioritised devices shouldn't limit one-another, particularly with 'Share excess' enabled in Congestion Control.

Given that gaming doesn't use that much bandwidth, how much is "enough" with a little overhead? That could be useful for ballpark QoS settings.

Re. gaming devices not limiting one another, with both Xboxes on last night, one Xbox downloading a game/update, definitely affected latency on the other.