R2 dropping internet connection daily

K0NSPIRACY

DumaOS: 3.0.179

Issue: R2 is dropping internet connection completely on both Wifi and hard wired devices. 

Fault finding: I have checked and tested the BT Smarthub2 and can confirm this remains connected to the internet, so the issue is with the R2.

Other information:

• This has started happening over the last few days and no changes have been made to BT Smarthub2 or R2 settings.
  • All lights remain active on the R2 (power, internet, and wifi) however there is no internet connectivity.
  • Restarting the BT Smarthub2 does not resolve the issue.
  • The only way to restore internet connection is to force reboot via DumasOS or power down.
  • This is now happening at least twice per day.

4 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

On the BT Hub assign a static/reserved IP for the R2 and ensure it's in the DMZ. In DHCP settings on the R2 set DHCP lease hours to 168 and apply. See if it stays connected then please.

Hi Fraser. All of those settings had been configured whilst resolving other issues, and they are still set on both the BT Smarthub2 and R2, so it can’t be related to those.

Are you able to access the R2's interface when these drops occur? If so, are you seeing any entries in the logs around the time of the drops?

You say these drops started occurring a recently, can you think of any recent configuration changes or changes to the environment?

11 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

Are you able to access the R2's interface when these drops occur? If so, are you seeing any entries in the logs around the time of the drops?

You say these drops started occurring a recently, can you think of any recent configuration changes or changes to the environment?

Hi Liam. Yeah DumaOS is accessible and all 4 lights still flicker. I haven’t checked the logs...do they reset and clear when you reboot the R2? I can copy and paste any data next time it happens or from the last night if the log data would still be there.

Other than turning QoS on/off during for my gaming sessions, I haven’t made any config changes at all. The config is very minimal with just the setup/changes that both yourself and Fraser have asked me to do previously. 

Yeah the logs will clear on a reboot, they only stored on volatile memory. Next time it drops, can you see if you can access the interface as it happens? If so, check the logs for any entries around this time. 

Have you noticed drops occurring while QoS is disabled?

5 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Yeah the logs will clear on a reboot, they only stored on volatile memory. Next time it drops, can you see if you can access the interface as it happens? If so, check the logs for any entries around this time. 

Ok will do. I’ll post the log files here if/when it happens again.

I’m not sure if this happens when QoS is enabled or disabled, but I usually disable QoS after gaming sessions so I presume it’s happened when disabled. Is there any reason why QoS would have any effect on the stability of connection?

19 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

13 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I wouldn't expect it to drop when QoS is disabled if QoS was the cause - QoS enabled can drop some packets but that shouldn't be the issue really. Lets see what the logs show.

Unfortunately I have just had another disconnection and completed fault finding as per my original post:

DumaOS: 3.0.179

Issue: R2 is dropping internet connection completely on both Wifi and hard wired devices. 

Fault finding: I have checked and tested the BT Smarthub2 and can confirm this remains connected to the internet, so the issue is with the R2.

Other information:

• This has started happening over the last few days and no changes have been made to BT Smarthub2 or R2 settings.
  • All lights remain active on the R2 (power, internet, and wifi) however there is no internet connectivity.
  • Restarting the BT Smarthub2 does not resolve the issue.
  • The only way to restore internet connection is to force reboot via DumasOS or power down.
  • This is now happening at least twice per day.

BT Smarthub2: 

• R2 Connection status: not connected
  • Speedtest: 62.13 Mbps / 18.56 Mbps

R2 Settings:

• Connection Benchmark: no connection to internet
  • QoS: enabled
  • DHCP Lease Time: 168 hours

Resolution: 

• force reboot via DumaOS
  • R2 log file attached

As is stands, it's fair to say my R2 connection is unstable. There is also the other outstanding issue of IPv6 not being detected on Xbox One when connected via R2 despite it working ok when connected direct to BT Smarthub2.

log-1613029573020.txt

21 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

Thanks for the info.

What time did this drop occur? These logs only cover about 4 minutes, were these captured after the reboot?

Hi Liam. I noticed the drop at approx 7:30am when I woke up but it could have happened earlier during the night. I just powered on my MacBook, accessed DumaOS and downloaded the log file as requested before rebooting.

23 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

OK, and you didn't have an internet connection when you woke up? 

Correct. There was no internet connection via the R2 however fault finding found the BT Smarthub2 was still online and devices able to connect to the internet. The BT Smarthub2 also showed the R2 as not connected and the only way to resolve is to reboot the R2 (without changing any settings in either device) so it is clearly the R2 that is dropping connection to the BT Smarthub2 not vice versa. Please also note the R2 is hardwired to the BT Smarthub2 so this isn’t a Wi-fi issue, and the cable connecting them is absolutely fine.