WiFi stops working requiring router restarts regularly

Dustin

How can I begin to troubleshoot this WiFi issue?  It's increasing in frequency.  I'm also noticing performance issue via wired connections as well.  I see a lot of chatter on the forum about performance issues but no real concrete information. I've enabled allow remote access to tech support.  Please take a look and advise.  Now, I beg of you, should it be the product simply does not perform reliably, please please, PLEASE save us all the heartache and let's setup an RMA so I can return it.  Both my wife & I work from home and we MUST have reliable WiFi even if I can no longer leverage the R2 itself.  I beg of you.

Thanks.

Correct.  Latest firmware, reset multiple times.  WiFi settings are default to the best of my knowledge.

NOTE: you may access the device as remote access to tech support is currently enabled.

Please see attached and advise. 

wifi01.png

• Administrators

That's only for developers so it's not something I can do. Disable Mirror settings, give both 2.4/5GHz different names and then save please. Set 2.4GHz to 20MHz and use a WiFi analyzer to find the least congested channels and change to those please. Also disable IPv6 in WAN and LAN.

Update: Both wired and wireless performance has degraded.  According to the ISP they see no issues with the service in my area.  My plan is 150Mbps down and 10Mbps up.  According to https://testmy.net/ it's shall we say, sub par.  My VPN has dropped tonight while I'm working, however, I cannot say with confidence that is related to the performance issues I'm seeing.  I'd really think the R2 would perform better than this.  Please advise.  Thanks.

00.png

4 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

OK, thank you, which Wi-Fi was this test on, 2.4 or 5GHz?

You say it's degraded, what speeds were you getting as of your last update?

After work last night (midnight local) I lost all internet.  Called ISP they claimed no issues in the area.  However, the automated voice system while I navigated to support indicated "maintenance" was ongoing in the area.  Left that at 2AM as all service was lost.  As of this writing, service is back to what I'd call nearly normal.  It appears this was unrelated to the R2. To answer your question it was 2.4, 5, and wired.  Performance was degraded across the board.  I'll continue to monitor.

Desktop Screenshot 2021.02.09 - 10.46.24.91.png

Desktop Screenshot 2021.02.09 - 10.53.28.41.png

41 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Interesting, glad to hear it's back to normal now. Do keep us posted!

And it’s down.  No wireless.  No Ethernet.  Unable to get to the R2.  Able to ping loop back but not gateway.

DBD63D42-658F-4EFC-9F94-252F38147D8F.jpeg

A1184FF5-7D6C-4D81-BA01-388BAE99A9C3.jpeg

BAA81EAE-ED4A-461E-9F81-2447EAA926EF.png

• Administrators

Please set a static IP on your PC by following this guide: https://pureinfotech.com/set-static-ip-address-windows-10/ follow the control panel section. Use these details:

IP - 192.168.77.2
Subnet - 255.255.255.0
Gateway - 192.168.77.1
DNS - 192.168.77.1

then try to access the interface please.

Ok guys, I no longer have any internet through the R2 at all.  I am able to access the UI and am unable to ping external hots.  Connecting my modem directly to the PC works fine.  I officially can no longer use the R2 at all.  I must remove it from service and redeploy my Linksys so I can work today.  Please replace this R2 as it is now  utterly unusable.

5411B967-3E5B-481A-B4F0-37141139C27B.jpeg

B2DDAB36-7041-42A3-BF3A-F1AD6D25D807.jpeg

• Administrators

It wasn't to get internet access back, just to see if you can access it, which you can so that is a good sign. What IP do you get on the System Information page? Go to the Settings page, then WAN and apply on the DHCP page, does that give you internet access?

I have no connectivity at all.  No wireless on either band.  No wired and as you can see the R2 is not reachable.  Please note I’ve also tried with the Linksys and that works as expected.  I’ve gone the extra step and replaced the modem as it is about a year and a half old.  May I please have a replacement R2?076A799C-B525-4BD5-B05D-D15734F223D4.thumb.jpeg.1995b41de32953307fdc59e0a78be369.jpeg

Thanks. I'm going to hold off on that for a time because I've replaced my modem.  It was the last component to isolate in the house and I'm not yet ready to pass judgement.  Very long day yesterday.  Honestly I'm just too wore out to fool with it today.  Please allow me a few days to see how things shake out.  I don't want to exchange if I can avoid it.  I'm sure the company doesn't want the cost of exchanging if the company can avoid it.  I have no interest in abusing the system.

I apologize for the frustration I'm no doubt causing you.  I know what it's like being in I.T. myself for 20 years.  I'll update this by Tuesday the 16th.

Thanks.

On 2/10/2021 at 3:51 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

No need to apologize, I totally understand the frustration and yes it would be best if we can check everything possible prior to sorting a replacement.

Thanks.  Shortly after I got up this morning, the router appears to have ceased functioning again.  Could not browse to the UI.  I was left with no choice to do a hard reset.  Please note, all was well as of my last post on Wednesday.  So where we are now: New router, hard reset R2.  Should this go Tango-Uniform I'm calling it and will begin the replacement process.

Fraser I tried in good faith.  The R2 became unresponsive tonight about 10 minutes before I was to get off work.  Multiple reset attempts later via the hardware button as I was unable to get to the UI it would go through the setup wizard which I think the last screen is regarding to data collection.  Agreeing to this it simply goes to a empty red wallpaper and the spinning curser.  I waited on this I think three minutes, reset again, same result.  At this point I finally gave up.  I sincerely hope I simply have a failed R2 and the replacement will live up to what I see on YouTube.  It's been a very frustrating experience, please believe me I did try very hard to avoid this.  Following this post, I'll be reaching out to the address you shared with the link to this thread to begin the exchange process.  Thanks for trying to help me avoid this hassle.