bypassing qos with traffic prioritization

hello by process of ilimination i have found prioritising port 80 to a device will bypass qos. i noticed this as i initialy set up prioritization for my ps5 and done all ports when running a test i would hit my isp speed 74mb. even though qos at 70% was on capping my speed around 50mb. ive sat and done the process of ilimination and it is port 80 that bypasses qos. the picture attatched shows one connection test from my ps5 and thats all the packets it used

port 80.png

42 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

Thanks for posting!

Prioritising any port will bypass QoS, because you are essentially defining traffic on that port as 'High priority' traffic, and therefore telling QoS not to limit bandwidth to that port.

ahh okay makes sense. thank you

2 hours ago, scrubosaurus said:

sry the offtopic, but where did you get that firmware version?

That's DumaOS 3.0 beta firmware, you can get it for the XR450 here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-DumaOS-3-0/New-Firmware-v2-3-2-108-XR450/m-p/2050288#M3633

Bare in mind that this is beta firmware, so there may be bugs that you come across!

1 minute ago, Netduma Liam said:

That's DumaOS 3.0 beta firmware, you can get it for the XR450 here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-DumaOS-3-0/New-Firmware-v2-3-2-108-XR450/m-p/2050288#M3633

Bare in mind that this is beta firmware, so there may be bugs that you come across!

im on xr500 m8 :D

27 minutes ago, scrubosaurus said:

My bad, fixed it.

i have 108, but he is running 114

Ah OK got you, .114 is just a minor release for a DHCP issue, if you're not experiencing any issues then it won't make a difference for you!

In case you still want it though, here's a link:

https://ntgr-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/tichang_netgear_com/Efl1sXj2vwFFhT1S3HbG-t8BNO2PcYWB6YGwDEkeoUOkMQ?e=3A1eUl

2 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

Ah OK got you, .114 is just a minor release for a DHCP issue, if you're not experiencing any issues then it won't make a difference for you!

In case you still want it though, here's a link:

https://ntgr-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/tichang_netgear_com/Efl1sXj2vwFFhT1S3HbG-t8BNO2PcYWB6YGwDEkeoUOkMQ?e=3A1eUl

ty bro, if its only DHCP, wont update it, im not having problems with it atm. tnks bro

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, brightside75 said:

sorry to hijack but does this setting  bypass the qos for my xbox?

The game ports being prioritized will supersede QoS completely. That applies to anything adding to TP and is actively prioritizing.

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, brightside75 said:

so would it be best to remove this? by qos you mean the flower?what about qos but your device is in the dmz?

No that's great for gaming - the bandwidth that gaming uses is so minimal that it should not affect other devices negatively at all. By QoS I mean CC and the flower. Same outcome still.

• Administrators
59 minutes ago, brightside75 said:

if it bypasses cc and cc sorts out the ping issues wouldnt that be a problem?

sorry im a little confused now.

Congestion Control eliminates latency by ensuring that devices cannot saturate the network i.e. use 100% of your bandwidth which causes a huge network queue. Traffic Prioritization puts your gaming packets at the very front of the queue which in essence bypasses QoS. Gaming traffic is so little that it does not have a negative impact on the other devices. Now if for example you prioritized a download that went to the front of the queue and bypassed QoS then this could cause other devices to lag as downloads always try to use as much bandwidth as they can which would saturate the network.