is this normal

Korrabear

I am seeing some interesting stuff on the R2 at the moment. No consistent download pattern, I'm downloading the new update for COD Cold War 60+Gb at 9Mbs and the network monitor didn't see it, for about 50Gb of the transfer (I checked just before I was going to send this, and it started to register). I should add that I am using a VPN on the pc (COD downloads stall in the UK so I VPN to the USA).

My main concern with this is: How can QOS manage if it can't see VPN traffic?

As I said it appears to be doing what it should now, but for the majority of the transfer it didn't see traffic and was bouncing about, with very little throughput shown.

Is your VPN configured using Hybrid VPN or is the VPN configured in Windows for example?

If you're using HybridVPN, QoS will still be able to see and prioritise gaming traffic as instructed. However, if you configure this on the PC, QoS might not be able to see that the VPN traffic is gaming traffic and therefore won't be able to prioritise it.

Hope that helps!

It does help, specially regarding QOS, but still a little concerned that the router couldn't see a large amount of data (what amounted to nearly all my bandwidth), for a significant time, and then it started to register it. I didn't change anything, except I scowled at my router (my wife thinks this changes everything). It just seemed weird, and as I had read the post at the start of this thread. Also thought it may be a good thing to feed back.

13 hours ago, Mrbchambers said:

It does help, specially regarding QOS, but still a little concerned that the router couldn't see a large amount of data (what amounted to nearly all my bandwidth), for a significant time, and then it started to register it. I didn't change anything, except I scowled at my router (my wife thinks this changes everything). It just seemed weird, and as I had read the post at the start of this thread. Also thought it may be a good thing to feed back.

Cool! Have you noticed this issue consistently then? For example, every time you download an update for a game? Or was it just on this occasion with the Cold War update? 

On 2/10/2021 at 1:23 PM, Netduma Liam said:

Cool! Have you noticed this issue consistently then? For example, every time you download an update for a game? Or was it just on this occasion with the Cold War update? 

This was the first time that I had noticed this issue. I was on the forum looking at stuff during the update, this thread caught my eye, so I looked at the network monitor, that's when I noticed it.

I need another large download to see what happens, though the way new games are, that won't take too long. I will monitor what happens during the next big update, and report my finding back here.

• 3 weeks later...

So Iam downloading another big update (28Gb) on my PC and the Netduma doesn't see it? I'm not running any VPN this time, and the only connections to the Duma are my Mac (composing this response), and my PS5 (no games currently running). My PC claims to downloading at 9.27 MB/s on a 7 Mbits/s internet connection.

So just before I went to press send I checked the Duma Network and guess what, its displaying the correct throughput/speed, please see the second picture. The file names show date and time of capture.

So; why the delay (Its not just 8 mins, as it took a while to notice, log on here and start to compose etc.)?

Just had a thought, I will check what happens when I check the Duma network page from the PC (I wonder if you are looking at the screen now, and thinking bless him he is trying to be all technical). Should that even make a difference?

Screenshot 2021-02-27 at 17.42.58.png

Screenshot 2021-02-27 at 17.50.29.png

Sorry just noticed "9.27 MB/s on a 7 Mbits/s internet connection.", should be "9.27 MB/s on a 73 Mbits/s internet connection.". Before we all get very confused on I was looking at!

Just thought I would let you know, once I had finished composing and sending the last update, I noticed that the throughput had dropped on the transfer to 50 kbits/s and it was fluctuating between 225K bits/s and 20 Kbits/s. So I looked at the duma Network page it was still showing what was on the last screen shot I sent you. So I refreshed the page, and the duma didn't respond, so had to reboot it (unplugged at the socket) as it wouldn't respond in any browser.

I know this all be coincidental, but I thought I should let you know.

• Administrators

I'm seeing you posting with an IPv6 address, are you doing that from a different router upstream or mobile data? Don't switch it on but try upgrading to the latest firmware then do a factory reset for a clean install and see if it works.

I now have a dead R2 by the looks of things.

I installed the new firmware, waited for it to update (mainly so I could copy my passwords and the like), then went and factory reset it, and it wouldn't connect to the internet, not only that when I renewed the license on the ethernet connection it connected me to my Dray teK modem. There is only the power light that comes on, and some activity on the ethernet connection when I plug my network in, no other lights have any activity. I have repeated the factory reset process. I am on on the XR700

Is there a manual IP address I can use to get into server, and then reflash the firmware; or is it as we say in Cumbria "Brock"?

• Administrators

Did you confirm the update completed successfully - i.e. accessed and saw it said .205 before factory resetting? How did you reset, via the hardware or interface? There isn't a way to do that unfortunately that I'm aware of. Hopefully we can still breathe life into it.

I checked the revision on the settings page. I thought the only way to do a factory reset, was by inserting something pointy (like an apple iPhone phone card slot opening tool), and holding it in for 15ish seconds, then when you let go all is well and it reboots. Which is what I did.

I have knocked IPv6 off, and can confirm its on .205 now. I am convinced it has been factory reset. Every thing else seems to be working well.

Thank you for your Help, it's really appreciated.

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, Mrbchambers said:

I have knocked IPv6 off, and can confirm its on .205 now. I am convinced it has been factory reset. Every thing else seems to be working well.

Thank you for your Help, it's really appreciated.

That's great, you're very welcome, do keep us updated!