XR300 Router Slow Speeds

Just taking a quick google search for "slow XR300" came back with more results than I expected, but my issues seems to be a smidge bit different.

I bought my XR300 last year when I only had 200Mb/s down knowing I would upgrade in the future, I paired it with a Netgear CM1000v2. I just recently upgraded to 1Gb internet service. I noticed my speeds are not quite up to snuff. When I run speed tests I get anywhere from 250Mb/s to 450Mb/s and it is different every time I run the test, but it is usually around 400Mb/s. I called comcast to double check the wiring to the house and the service. They replaced the old cable and verified that the modem is getting about 965Mb/s. I was able to directly connect my computer to the modem and see 945Mb/s (proves Cat5e cable I have is good). When I connect my XR300 in between the modem and my computer I get about ~400Mb/s. If I disable QoS I get about ~700Mb/s, better but not quite there.

Setup is as follows

CM1000v2->XR300->PC

Things I've tried:

Only computer connected to the network

Network map table view shows 1000Mbits Full Duplex

Monitoring statistics shows 1000M/Full status

Firmware is up to date

I have reset the modem and router several times

Things I've noticed:

When running a speed test I see 1 CPU core jump to 100%, but the other sits around 20%

Speedtests are very random, before typing this post I was getting 400Mb/s, right before posting I got 600Mb/s. back to back runs usually stay fairly close, but different times of day are different performance. 

Speedtest.net the speed usually slowly ramps up to the final numbers, is this normal? I seem to remember it usually just sat at whatever speed my family had as a kid.

WiFi test on my phone shows ~350Mb/s

While the 400ish Mb/s is plenty for only me to use, I'm about to be getting roommates and I'd like to be able to have the bandwidth for all of us at the same time. Plus the whole "I'm paying for it, where is it" usual thing.

• 4 weeks later...

There is no Comcast Modem/Router. It is a Netgear CM1000V2 Modem, and a Netgear Nighthawk XR300 Router.

I tried disabling IPv6 under Settings -> Advanced -> IPv6, and got no difference.

Still sitting around 480Mbps.

Sorry for the terrible late response. thought my "notify me of replies" would send an email or something that would ping on my phone, I'll have to double check that now.

• Administrators

No worries! One step to try when you have time is to do a factory reset and doing make any changes other than the ones in the Setup Wizard and see if you notice the speeds increase. If fact this is probably the best idea so the router can adjust to your new connection.

Otherwise, in Settings, start the setup wizard again but just go as far as the speedtest - what speeds does it show there?

I reran the setup wizard, not many options to change, and the speed test errored out. I ran a speedtest manually, and got the same speeds. ~511.63 Mbps down and ~41.94Mbps, half of what I should be getting down.

• Administrators

Sometimes it won't report the speeds but if you try it a few times it will - I'm really interested in that result if you can get it because that's a speed test directly from the router so it identifies a bit more where the issue could be.

Well I was able to connect directly to the modem and get the 950+ speeds I'm expecting. I tried the setup wizard a few times to get to the speed test there and it kept bugging out and saying "www.netduma.com refused to connect"  Kinda should be just an "speed test" line on the advanced settings tab, so I don't have to go through the whole setup each time.

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, unitd77 said:

Well I was able to connect directly to the modem and get the 950+ speeds I'm expecting. I tried the setup wizard a few times to get to the speed test there and it kept bugging out and saying "www.netduma.com refused to connect"  Kinda should be just an "speed test" line on the advanced settings tab, so I don't have to go through the whole setup each time.

Can you provide a screenshot of where it said that please as I've not seen that before. 

We're working on that in 3.0 actually - it's implemented but needs to be improved.

I kept redoing the setup wizard, It kept opening up a minibrowser to the Netgear website asking me to register my product. I tried to through the minibrowser and I couldn't type into any fields, so I opened a chrome tab and did it manually, then went back through the setup wizard. I tried to sign-in to the netgear account and It at first said my password was wrong, then after resetting the password It would just show a spinning wheel and then nothing changes. It just sits at the login credentials and won't advance. I tried reloading the frame under right click menu. Not able to get to any sort of speed test. The next button located under the minibrowser just takes me to the DumaOS dashboard. I am unable/don't know how to manually redirect the minibrowser window to speedtest.

• Administrators

Okay could you go ahead and do a full factory reset from the interface please and when you do the setup wizard, make note if it does a speed test and what results they are and then also see if the reset itself improves the speeds please.

no dice. Changed setting to "Use Computer MAC Address" then all the addresses defaulted to 0.0.0.0s (Monitoring - > connection status) WAN IP defaulted to 0.0.0.0 and I had no internet at all. Tried rebooting and got nothing to work. Had to change back to default.

Is this related to the CM MAC number I found under my Modems page?

• Administrators

I don't think so now. There are really no other options we can suggest really that will boost your speeds any further. If you're not happy with the speeds you're getting then I'd recommend making a ticket with Netgear directly and if they have no ideas then try to pursue a replacement. http://support.netgear.com/