Xbox party chat

• Administrators

Could you upgrade to the latest beta please: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4mwe5sx81gsc129/XR500-V2.3.2.114-DumaOS3.0.203.img?dl=0 then do a factory reset and see whether it works then please. If not make a Traffic Controller rule to allow all traffic to the console and see if that affects it.

alright now i got bunch of odd stuff, ipv6 does appear and goes away at times, and Nat type goes between open and unavailable. When i had ipv6 filtering on secured it would show and be open then eventually go to unavailable. Then when i put it to open, it wont show up on the xbox at times??? Not sure how important the ipv6 is.

port also changes on its own and this time took away ipv6 and with nat unavailable still, nothing is consistent now.. earlier i had everything normal. Had it off for an hour, now its always unavailable again, and on and off with ipv6 and ports changing on its own to sum everything up.

I'm the only one who understood Xbox has transitioned from peer-to-peer to server based party chat to prevent DDOS attacks?

source: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-11-03-microsoft-phasing-out-xbox-party-chat-p2p-voice-connections-to-beef-up-security

I've resolved the chat issue as follows:

- Disable the geo filter temporarily and put your router in spectating mode.

- Start a party without inviting anyone.

- Briefly see A LOT of servers around the world, then you will be connected to one.

- The server you're connected to will appear on the map FOR A BRIEF PERIOD.

- QUICKLY add the server to your Allow list, before it disappears from the map.

- Put geo filtering back on and invite friends to your chat.

- The chat should now work.

I found that even using a ping assist value of 25-35 ms can be enough to let you connect with a server, since they're usually within a low ping from you.

This could help avoid having to do this process when you are invited to someone else party, provided they're near you and likely connected

to a chat server that's within your ping assist value.

If you want, during the time a connection is being chosen and you see all the servers on the map when you are in spectating mode, quickly allow all

the server nearest to you.

Repeat the process as many times as needed to allow all the servers you can, because as I said, they appear on the map for A BRIEF period.

For example I'm in Italy and I see one server in the Netherlands, one in England and one in Ireland.

You may also need to add them more than once, though, as I have a hunch they're actually MULTIPLE servers appearing in the same locations.

Oh, also FIY my other settings are: I've got UPNP DISABLED and I've assigned a static IP address to my Xbox on my internal LAN.

ALL the recommended ports from the Xbox website are correctly forwarded to my Xbox IP address.

This worked for me, hope this helps anybody who is having issues.

@Netduma Liam With all due respect, have you bothered to read my reply?

I’m a bit astounded at your apparent lack of understanding about how the Xbox chat is working now, which is server based.

You proposed solutions based on the assumption the chat still works on a p2p basis, which isn’t the case anymore, then switched the conversation to generic trial and error connection settings that won’t do any good to solve OP issue, what’s more you’re suggesting settings that are actually messing with his connection which was fine in the first place; his port forwarding and general connection settings were fine, the issue is just the chat server being out of his selected geo filter range.

1 hour ago, alinkfromthepast said:

@Netduma Liam With all due respect, have you bothered to read my reply?

I’m a bit astounded at your apparent lack of understanding about how the Xbox chat is working now, which is server based.

You proposed solutions based on the assumption the chat still works on a p2p basis, which isn’t the case anymore, then switched the conversation to generic trial and error connection settings that won’t do any good to solve OP issue, what’s more you’re suggesting settings that are actually messing with his connection which was fine in the first place; his port forwarding and general connection settings were fine, the issue is just the chat server being out of his selected geo filter range.

My apologies, I missed your response, thank you for the detailed suggestion!

I was purely suggesting he disconnects and re-connects his XBOX from his router, that wouldn't affect other settings at all, though I do understand your concern. The reason we go through these suggestions is to ensure we've covered all bases in the troubleshooting process.

That being said, the information and experience you've provided is incredibly useful, and I implore @rjaaayyy to give it a read as well as the linked article to see if this also resolves his problem. Thank you for contributing, apologies again for not acknowledging you response!