Halo 5 problems on start, then works fine

I am having trouble with the Geo-filter while playing Halo 5 on my Xbox console. The problem is that always when I start a gaming session, the first few games fail to connect, that is, I get kicked out of the game right after the game is found and before the map loads… Specially after I restart the game or the console. Then eventually it finds a game and it works, then it doesn’t fail again. When it fails, I don’t see any server blocked, so it is a mystery as to why is happening. But I know it is the router because if I turn off the geo-filtering it never fails, but then I get a server outside of Europe… So the feature works, but it is a hassle every time I play to get it to start working…. Is there any fix for this?

Also there are some servers Halo 5 uses that are incorrectly Geo-placed.   There is a farm that show in the middle of US (see my attachment, where I have a box) that is probably located in Europe (I get like 40 ms from Spain).  Also this server appears in Australia and is actually in the UK as the name (Uksxt01) and the ping time show:

Ping

31 ms

Host Type

Dedicated

ID

853329f4d024878c

Domain Name

Screenshot_2021-01-25_at_20_04_27.png

• Administrators

Could you fully zoom out on the map please and see if there is anything blocked, if there mislocated servers which it looks like it is then it may be elsewhere. Does Halo 5 have any matchmaking options at all? It's been a while since I've played.

The only matchmaking options Halo5 has is 3 search preferences..

(Focused) which tries to find the closest server to you..

(Balanced) which extends the search a bit farther away..

(Extended) which basically is it just finds an available server anywhere in the world.

Im a US player so im not sure if these search preferences are the same across the globe..

One added note.. Even if one searches on Focused and a game cant be found with in a certain time it may begin to automatically search a bit farther until a game is found.. This is based on if enough players can be found in a certain area.. Population..

Hopefully that may help.

Zippy.

4 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Thanks Zippy! What search preference are you using one?

Your welcome! Im currently using one.. Focused search.. And it keeps me on decent servers/close by..

When I play with a few friends from the UK I do set my preference then to Expanded.. Then I also set my Geo to Spectating mode at that point.. If I dont  the preferences can work against each other if I was on filter mode on the Geo and had there matchmaking preferences set at Focused.. Which would make sense..

The Op might have better luck searching on Focused and the Geo set to spectating mode to gather servers that might be miss located. Then he could just add them to the Allow.. The only problem the Op might run into is if the population of the game isnt decent enough over by him to support this.. Because even after a period of time even when searching with Focused it will automatically start to search farther out until a game is found.. Population has a great effect on this.. And this game is 6-7 years old..

The Geo is a really good tool and can be used in many ways to get the desired results..  ;) 

I wasnt sure if this question was directed to me or not but figured Id give some insight..

Thanks!

Zippy.

21 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Could you fully zoom out on the map please and see if there is anything blocked, if there mislocated servers which it looks like it is then it may be elsewhere. Does Halo 5 have any matchmaking options at all? It's been a while since I've played.

Hi Fraser.  Trust me I have checked and there is no server being blocked when it doesn't work, at least that it shows in the map...  It happens everyday a few times at the start of my session... it seems to me like it's trying to connect to a server which is being blocked, but it doesn't who on the map (in the past I have had to allow servers because of mislocation, I know what you are talking about).  Right now these are servers I have detected being mislocated, but I have them allowed:

Host Type    Dedicated
ID    853329f4d024878c
Domain Name    51.140.36.244

Appears in Australia and it is really in the UK

Host Type    Peer
ID    2414420db1c33e43
Domain Name    20.67.195.13

Appears in Center US but it is in Europe for sure.  It appears as peer because I think its some kind of chat-party server for voice...

At lease since I know how to fix it what I do is start the game over and over again by myself until it works, (takes like 3 of 4 tries normally), then I quit the game and can play with my friends being sure It will work fine...

1 hour ago, One go said:

Hi Fraser.  Trust me I have checked and there is no server being blocked when it doesn't work, at least that it shows in the map...  It happens everyday a few times at the start of my session... it seems to me like it's trying to connect to a server which is being blocked, but it doesn't who on the map (in the past I have had to allow servers because of mislocation, I know what you are talking about).  Right now these are servers I have detected being mislocated, but I have them allowed:

Host Type    Dedicated
ID    853329f4d024878c
Domain Name    51.140.36.244

Appears in Australia and it is really in the UK

Host Type    Peer
ID    2414420db1c33e43
Domain Name    20.67.195.13

Appears in Center US but it is in Europe for sure.  It appears as peer because I think its some kind of chat-party server for voice...

At lease since I know how to fix it what I do is start the game over and over again by myself until it works, (takes like 3 of 4 tries normally), then I quit the game and can play with my friends being sure It will work fine...

Thanks for the info! Which search preference are you using? Focused, Balanced or Extended?

Normally I use balanced, but it doen't really affect my search as I'm only getting games in European server, and there are only 3 I think...

I have found that the fastest way to fix my issue is to restart the game.  And then it normally works (not always).  Also I can test that it works by going into a customs game.  If it fails, matchmaking wont work either.  If it does, it will work fine...  Hope this helps anyone with the same issue.

5 hours ago, One go said:

Normally I use balanced, but it doen't really affect my search as I'm only getting games in European server, and there are only 3 I think...

I have found that the fastest way to fix my issue is to restart the game.  And then it normally works (not always).  Also I can test that it works by going into a customs game.  If it fails, matchmaking wont work either.  If it does, it will work fine...  Hope this helps anyone with the same issue.

I've responded to you in the other post you commented on, but let's keep the discussion here.

So you're unable to find a game regularly until you start a custom game?

Does this issue still occur if you disable Geo-filter?

Are you using either the new Series S or Series X? I'm still in the process of setting up my XR500, but I commonly get the same issue on my series X. 

I think it has something to do the fact that I have a place in Mexico and play when I'm there. When I'm back in the United States, most of my games are with people in Mexico. This wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't for lag as even the decent FTTH connections there are getting 16ms latency.  

I have a ticket open currently to see if it can be fixed. Before you start, you can also start a forge game and or sign out of your gamertag and sign back in. I start a forge map right after signing back in, and if won't hesitate getting a game as it usually does. BoxBot is the forge map i use, also let's you get warmed up.  

I'm using Series X.  I have changed the power settings to "Energy Saving", which turns off the XBox completely instead of standby, and now it seems to work better.  I think when on standby the halo 5 connection to the servers drop but the game still thinks they're up, and thats why they fail. Also resetting the game, waiting a while, and then launching it helps.  I always try with a custom game to make sure its working fine, then go to ranked...

16ms latency???  That's awsome!!  The minimum we get here in Spain for Halo 5 is 40 ms!!   Because the closest servers are in Ireland and Holland...   So consider yourself lucky.  I also have FTTH with 600 Mbps up/down right now...

Thanks for the tip!

On 2/4/2021 at 12:46 PM, Netduma Liam said:

I've responded to you in the other post you commented on, but let's keep the discussion here.

So you're unable to find a game regularly until you start a custom game?

Does this issue still occur if you disable Geo-filter?

Like I said in my previous post, by resetting the game or changing energysaving itt works fine.  I haven't tried turning off Geofilter, but I would guess it would still fail, I don't think its related to geo filter now, I think it is more a Game realted series x issue...

I will try and let you know...

37 minutes ago, One go said:

I'm using Series X.  I have changed the power settings to "Energy Saving", which turns off the XBox completely instead of standby, and now it seems to work better.  I think when on standby the halo 5 connection to the servers drop but the game still thinks they're up, and thats why they fail. Also resetting the game, waiting a while, and then launching it helps.  I always try with a custom game to make sure its working fine, then go to ranked...

16ms latency???  That's awsome!!  The minimum we get here in Spain for Halo 5 is 40 ms!!   Because the closest servers are in Ireland and Holland...   So consider yourself lucky.  I also have FTTH with 600 Mbps up/down right now...

Thanks for the tip!

Glad it worked out for you, as far as the 16ms latency that is only when in in Mexico. It's ridiculously cheap there, i get FTTH with Netflix included and 3 TV boxes for around $100. I pay that for just my internet stateside. 

I'll try to find a link, but the power option is why I asked if you were using a series S or Series X. I thought they said it was fixed it but i did the same as you and change to energy saver. Only drawback being that I can't download when I'm not home. 

Best of luck, and if you want shoot me you gamertag and we'll play sometime. Only been at the game for a year now, but getting better and want every advantage so I bought the XR500. 

3 hours ago, alvin said:

Glad it worked out for you, as far as the 16ms latency that is only when in in Mexico. It's ridiculously cheap there, i get FTTH with Netflix included and 3 TV boxes for around $100. I pay that for just my internet stateside. 

I'll try to find a link, but the power option is why I asked if you were using a series S or Series X. I thought they said it was fixed it but i did the same as you and change to energy saver. Only drawback being that I can't download when I'm not home. 

Best of luck, and if you want shoot me you gamertag and we'll play sometime. Only been at the game for a year now, but getting better and want every advantage so I bought the XR500. 

My gamertag is "One go"

What's your level?   Do you speak spanish?

5 hours ago, One go said:

My gamertag is "One go"

What's your level?   Do you speak spanish?

I'm okay, I like to think i can hold my own against most at or near my rank with decent teammates. Everyone always says they have the worst matchmaking, but it's hard when they purposely throw grenades to expose you because you got invisibility and power sword. 

XP is 145 with Platinum 3 in slayer, and Gold 5 in FFA and SWAT. Was platinum 6 until this past week which is another story all together. 

Living in Southern California everybody can or should be able to at least know some of the basics. I personally understand better than I speak it, but get by. I've met a lot of Irish down there pre-COVID. 

Sent you a friend request, if you don't want to risk having me on the fireteam I understand.  If you need a lower rank to help out, I'm okay with that too.