Will DumaOS QoS be useful with 20/1Mbps ADSL?

I get 20Mbps download and 1Mbps upload from my ADSL connection.

Was thinking about getting the XR500, main focus being reducing Bufferbloat and being able to game on Xbox without huge ping spikes if someone else is occasionally watching Prime Video/Netflix/Sky on demand.

Will QoS help me in this case and with these speeds?

Wasn't sure because I understand 1Mbps upload is not much.

I really like the R2 but not sure how long it takes to deliver and if wifi coverage is as good; also I can find the XR500 used for around 150€ (more powerful CPU, don't know how much difference it would make), while the R2 will be 192€ shipped to Italy (which is a fair price being new) but I will definitely take it into consideration.

Do you think I could run into issues on DumaOS when buying a used XR500?

One last thing, any differences between plugging my Xbox directly to the Router or to an unmanaged switch?

Thanks!

19 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Ah that's fair enough, no I think you should be fine using the XR500 and with the savings it's worth it for that extra power. No difference really no, you can connect it however you wish to.

Just to know, do any of the Netgear/Netduma routers running DumaOS have SQM QoS? Seems like the preferred way of doing QoS but I'm not sure if it would slow my already limited 20/1 connection of if I'd be just fine with anything else.

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, Mirco29 said:

Just to know, do any of the Netgear/Netduma routers running DumaOS have SQM QoS? Seems like the preferred way of doing QoS but I'm not sure if it would slow my already limited 20/1 connection of if I'd be just fine with anything else.

It's a hybrid between our own proprietary algorithm and Codel. It will slow it a bit but it will help the other devices all be used at once without impacting each other - I used to have your speeds - it seems counter-intuitive but it does work.

For my connection in R1 with Duma QOS at 18Mbps download and about 1Mbps upload...dumaqos doesnt work what ever settings i try..i have always bufferbloat in both directions...i have tried any settings with bars.

• Administrators
58 minutes ago, Knomax said:

For my connection in R1 with Duma QOS at 18Mbps download and about 1Mbps upload...dumaqos doesnt work what ever settings i try..i have always bufferbloat in both directions...i have tried any settings with bars.

How are you testing it exactly?