R2 vs xr500

l2eactionz

Hello just wondering what is better the r2 or the xr500 and what's the specific difference does the xr500 have the same r2 features like TP , QOS geo filter. What is the benefits and disadvantages. I've ordered an r2 but I could get an xr500 by Thursday any advice much appreciated 

• Administrators

The main differences are the hardware, the XR500 has better hardware but the R2 has better software. The R2 has all the features we've developed whereas the XR500 is missing a few, the DumaOS 3.0 update has released on the R2 but is in beta on the XR500. Both have QoS & the Geo-Filter. It's really down to whether you prefer hardware or software and what your budget is.

9 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

The main differences are the hardware, the XR500 has better hardware but the R2 has better software. The R2 has all the features we've developed whereas the XR500 is missing a few, the DumaOS 3.0 update has released on the R2 but is in beta on the XR500. Both have QoS & the Geo-Filter. It's really down to whether you prefer hardware or software and what your budget is.

Thanks for the speedy reply. The xr500 is currently £200 and I don't mind paying the extra bit of money for potentially better WiFi for example as my building is poured concrete with the metal rod structures so wifi is an issue lol. Let's say for example I want the best experience playing warzone and that's about it. Does the xr500 have all the r2 features that get setup for warzone for example. I don't want to go against the software as I know its important and the r2 will get updated quicker. But is the xr500 current state a good one for the software features and warzone. And will the xr500 be supported long term.... thanks for the help Fraser. 

• Administrators

If you need that stronger WiFi then the XR500 is the way to go. Yes you will definitely have what you need to get the best connection and using the beta will help as well. We do plan to keep supporting the XR500. You're very welcome!

My 2 pennies I had both routers for a couple of months , could not tell any difference to be honest . Sold the Xr500 and kept the R2 . My decision was based on the features on the R2 and Netgear in my opinion are slow at taking some of these features . Anything new I figure will always go on the R2 first ,  again for me its about the DUMA system and features that I am interested in .   Decisions decisions :)  good luck 

1 hour ago, BL4CK OPS V3TRN said:

My 2 pennies I had both routers for a couple of months , could not tell any difference to be honest . Sold the Xr500 and kept the R2 . My decision was based on the features on the R2 and Netgear in my opinion are slow at taking some of these features . Anything new I figure will always go on the R2 first ,  again for me its about the DUMA system and features that I am interested in .   Decisions decisions :)  good luck 

Thanks for the input. I think because the netgear has better hardware for WiFi and my mum needing to use her laptop in different rooms the xr500 may give better WiFi performance. I will still get the geo filter and qos. Does the xr500 have traffic prioritisation and also I'm seeing the xr500 supports option 61 mer for sky broadband do you know if this is the case or not seen some posts saying it doesn't and others saying it does. Either way whatever one I get ill be happy testing out features and what not

• Administrators
1 hour ago, l2eactionz said:

Thanks for the input. I think because the netgear has better hardware for WiFi and my mum needing to use her laptop in different rooms the xr500 may give better WiFi performance. I will still get the geo filter and qos. Does the xr500 have traffic prioritisation and also I'm seeing the xr500 supports option 61 mer for sky broadband do you know if this is the case or not seen some posts saying it doesn't and others saying it does. Either way whatever one I get ill be happy testing out features and what not

It does have Traffic Prio yes. It has DHCP Option 60/61 that you can use for Sky. I think you'll love it!

12 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It does have Traffic Prio yes. It has DHCP Option 60/61 that you can use for Sky. I think you'll love it!

Cheers fraser I feel like I'm going against you ordering it lol but I'm sure you still make good money from netgear sales. I'll stick around on the forum and give my feedback and testing for future reference. The router has already arrived today what firmware should I set up would you recommend the beta does that still have option 61?

58 minutes ago, l2eactionz said:

Cheers fraser I feel like I'm going against you ordering it lol but I'm sure you still make good money from netgear sales. I'll stick around on the forum and give my feedback and testing for future reference. The router has already arrived today what firmware should I set up would you recommend the beta does that still have option 61?

No problem at all, we're just happy you're using DumaOS! I'm pretty sure option 61 is available from the .32 firmware onwards!

• 1 year later...