Port forwarding theory

l2eactionz

On 1/29/2021 at 4:07 AM, l2eactionz said:

I still have ipv6 but its off and upnp is also off both I find make things worse

Thats interesting.. For me I have IPV6 enabled on both WAN and LAN and it seems to perform better for me.. Im on the Xbox and have upnp off and no port forwarding rules and no dmz used..  But I do get an Open NAT even with all of that off.. Which is correct for IPV6 to work like that..

I think im the only one using IPV6.. lol.. 

Thanks!

Zippy.

29 minutes ago, Zippy said:

Thats interesting.. For me I have IPV6 enabled on both WAN and LAN and it seems to perform better for me.. Im on the Xbox and have upnp off and no port forwarding rules and no dmz used..  But I do get an Open NAT even with all of that off.. Which is correct for IPV6 to work like that..

I think im the only one using IPV6.. lol.. 

Thanks!

Zippy.

I'll give ipv6 a go using the xr500 only used on sky router and was a known issue for increasing bufferbloat 

36 minutes ago, l2eactionz said:

I'll give ipv6 a go using the xr500 only used on sky router and was a known issue for increasing bufferbloat 

Give it a try if you want.. Again I do find myself like one of the only one that uses IPV6.. I just find that part strange.. lol..Im not sure if different ISP are at different stages of there IPV6 roll out or what the deal is there..

Thanks!

Zippy.

58 minutes ago, Zippy said:

Give it a try if you want.. Again I do find myself like one of the only one that uses IPV6.. I just find that part strange.. lol..Im not sure if different ISP are at different stages of there IPV6 roll out or what the deal is there..

Thanks!

Zippy.

Yeah I turned it off because the info from a post and I think what the hell if its on and its only a 50/50 chance making it better may as well run on ipv4 like everyone else lol...... I've just enabled it currently qos on 85% on both and bandwidth control ps5 capped at 1.5mb down and up. For me this is the biggest improvement in warzone capping your speed seems to get rid of the lag compensation/give you that advantage.

I'll keep you posted on the ipv6

• 2 years later...
On 1/20/2021 at 8:02 AM, l2eactionz said:

Okay bit of a controversial one on opening ports using upnp dmz. Anything to do with ports being opened for gaming.

So I've been having theories and doing tests on my router using all methods to open ports. And I can honestly say having a moderate nat with no ports opened for playing warzone feels like I'm on a slightly more level playing field.

I can only come up with 2 reasons. 

Reason 1. When you open your ports all you are doing is letting data TO YOU quicker and not have to go through some sort of firewall (not sure if that's how it works but....) by doing that you are allowing everyone else's data TO YOU register and get delt with quicker. While on there end your data is having to pass through there moderate nat (firewall) before registering. This to me is basically saying by opening up my ports I'm allowing everyone who shoots at me to hit me and connect to me perfectly and get good hit registration while my info gets stopped and questioned by there firewall and inevitably lose the gun fight.

Reason 2. New theory based on the sbmm. By having a moderate nat you are limiting who you can connect to making the lobbies either easier or better ping. This is just a theory and I'm not 100% sure.

So with that said whoever reads this. Try port forwarding or dmz play some games and see how quick you die. Then disable port forwarding upnp and dmz and play some moderate nat games.... come back and let me know what you find.

For me I have given up with trying to make my connection as good as I can. I feel like the better I make mine the worse ingame experience. I don't know if lag compensation is a real thing but I'm starting to think it is. Because everyone who kills me that I spectate either has constant packet bursting going on (by the way little info for everyone I've figured out don't judge your packet burst when spectating that is genuinely there packet bursts you are seeing) or watching them thinking how the hell did I die to him. 

Is there any conclusive evidence or tech knowledge that says I'm wrong and I should open ports? Or could I be right with reason 1 to some extent?

Your hunch might be correct but not entirely.

“However, you should consider turning it off if you require any of the following features: Port Forwarding, QoS, IP Traffic Monitor, and Parental Control”

Just now, CRarsenxL said:

Your hunch might be correct but not entirely.

“However, you should consider turning it off if you require any of the following features: Port Forwarding, QoS, IP Traffic Monitor, and Parental Control”

In other words, to get FULL 100% NAT Acceleration, you cannot use qos , port forwarding, DMZ , any sort of traffic monitoring features