Using sky MER setup

l2eactionz

Hello just a quick one my r2 is on order but currently waiting for February delivery (can I get a sneaky delivery early😉😅)....

So the sky router does not have a modem only mode but I have in the past used a router with a wan port by dmz and got my nat open that way. 

I've used ebay and got myself an openreach hg612 as I've seen somewhere on the forum about using this as a modem.

My question is 1. Which way will perform better sky router dmz or openreach modem? I'm guessing the modem but just to be sure.

2. How do I set this up? I've been reading up and get conflicting answers around sky's router user name and password and having to use wire shark to extract it im not the smartest pc wizard but I know how to port forward and do basic set ups lol

Any info and guide before the router arrives will be great. Can't wait to set it up and spend some time on the os love the geo filtering stuff..... 

I know some people or most are looking for easy bot lobbies on cod but I'm genuinely looking for a good router with the best settings to give me a lower ping. I don't mind competition as long as the competition is fair sometimes getting into lobbies at 80ms because it puts me in diamond 1 lobbies when I know I can get in 30ms 40ms lobbies is so stressful. So setting up the geo filter to the closest and lowest ping servers will be interesting to use and make the competition fair again

If there's anything you would also ad in terms of settings once it arrives I'm all ears and happy to test out. 

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum, thanks for ordering an R2!

Hopefully we've got some Sky and BT users who'll come across this as I'm currently with Virgin so I can't provide much input here.

Generally speaking though, the R2 should work great with both, there may just be some differing steps if you need to resolve any NAT issues etc.

Glad to hear you're aware of Geo-filter's features and what it can do for you too! See you in the Gulag :) 

Okay thanks for the reply I have done a dmz previously so that will be fine.... Will this not limit my ability to lower ping won't the sky router still be in use and the netduma be restricted on performance because everything will still have to go through the sky router? I know the features and settings I can change on the netduma will be the big key difference but if I can set up the open reach modem will that create a better through put? 🤔

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, l2eactionz said:

Okay thanks for the reply I have done a dmz previously so that will be fine.... Will this not limit my ability to lower ping won't the sky router still be in use and the netduma be restricted on performance because everything will still have to go through the sky router? I know the features and settings I can change on the netduma will be the big key difference but if I can set up the open reach modem will that create a better through put? 🤔

The DMZ essentially allows the hub to pass all traffic straight through to the R2 so no this shouldn't have an impact, just make sure to connect all devices to the R2. The difference between the hub and the modem would be minimal like 1ms if that so not even peceptible.

• Administrators

Only disable DHCP on the Hub if you apply a static/reserved IP on the hub for the R2. Even then I would suggest leaving it enabled just in case you need to connect a device to the hub. Yes turn off the WiFi on the hub to prevent any devices connecting to the hub by accident.