XR700 - Ethernet ports bandwidth shared

Hi, im just checking if the ethernet port bandwidth on the XR700 is shared across all the ports. (forgot the technical term) 

I'm currently using 10GB SFP+ for a NAS but two clients cant seem to maintain gigabit connections at the same time.

I've made sure that IO isnt a problem.

I just want to check if I may have misconfigured something.

35 minutes ago, iMoD1998 said:

Hi, im just checking if the ethernet port bandwidth on the XR700 is shared across all the ports. (forgot the technical term) 

I'm currently using 10GB SFP+ for a NAS but two clients cant seem to maintain gigabit connections at the same time.

I've made sure that IO isnt a problem.

I just want to check if I may have misconfigured something.

Yes I believe it is shared if memory serves me right but only up to a gig and then there will be the overheads which will lower the throughput a tad.

8 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I believe you're talking about aggregation, you can find details about how to set it up etc on page 143 here: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/XR700/XR700_UM_EN.pdf

No im not, im talking about if each individual ethernet port is capable of 1Gb/s at the same time.

On 1/12/2021 at 9:20 PM, Newfie said:

Yes I believe it is shared if memory serves me right but only up to a gig and then there will be the overheads which will lower the throughput a tad.

Thanks for the info,.

If I can get it working ill post the solution here.

1 hour ago, fiefo said:

Is the xr1000 Ethernet bandwidth shared as well? 

If you are asking if you have a 1 gig line into the router the answer is they will share that 1 gig and not have 1 gig throughput each if you had all the ports connected for obvious reasons.

On 1/12/2021 at 9:20 PM, Newfie said:

@Netduma Fraser looks like bandwidth between ports are shared as far as I can tell which honestly has left me with no words.

image.thumb.png.7c5dbaae74c040e0f0a2df49b013c98b.png

• Administrators
52 minutes ago, iMoD1998 said:

@Netduma Fraser looks like bandwidth between ports are shared as far as I can tell which honestly has left me with no words.

image.thumb.png.7c5dbaae74c040e0f0a2df49b013c98b.png

Thanks for the information, @altsai could you take a look at this and confirm whether this is expected behavior or not?

@Netduma Fraser I understand everyone is busy but it was 3 days. 

Also that response doesn't make a lot of sense.

Are they trying to say that 2gbps is maximum throughput of all the ports as a whole?

In this scenario that isn't true.

External switch?

Network process?

If so what was the point of advertising that the 10GB SFP+ port could be used for a NAS or even for a WAN.

So from what I can tell from online. Mainly from DDWRT is that the ports count as 1 actual port but netgear use VLANS to separate them meaning they all share the same bandwidth.

However, I believe the 2 used for aggregation probably are separate ports otherwise it wouldn't do anything.   

If I'm right, this is a joke considering how its advertised that the 10Gb port can specifically be used for giving more bandwidth to the NAS which is just untrue if nothing can actually utilise it even as a WAN. 

image.png.184a6c1cb2819d2574c9848eec2d5bdc.png

Pathetic for a router that cost me £300+

I'd be re-evaluating the partnership with netgear because of this and all the crap they pull with just slapping DumaOS as a nice front end on their crap filled implementation. 

I mean seriously, it doesn't even have local DNS and fights Linux at every step despite running it.

Shame I missed the return window.

Hoping for a good recommendation for an actual 10Gb router because even if this is a bug, I doubt it will be fixed in my lifetime.

• Administrators

I've received a response:

The BW between network processor (Annapurna AL314) and Qualcomm ethernet switch is 2Gbps; however, one is dedicated for WAN port and the other is for Qualcomm ethernet ports, which means all wired devices share 1Gbps to network processor. This is the limitation for such design.