Slow download speeds, tried with multiple settings. Can't seem to get more than 200 - 300 Mbps in actual download speeds (not just tests)

Ozymandias_

Hi Liam,

My old router is an ASUS, that has a ton of built-in telemetry and tracking, which effects the routers performance, specifically when it comes to gaming. I only mention that as to  elude to why I wanted to get rid of it in the first place and move to R2. After getting the R2, initially it worked great, especially in Warzone, then came all the disconnects. Sometime after getting the R2 I upgraded my internet plan to be the "1 Gb" plan offered by my ISP. I called them yesterday to look into the download speed issues to see if there were any problems they could see on their side. No issues they could see and as mentioned above modem straight to PC works fine. I understand there may be some loss in the actual routing of traffic so I don't expect all clients to fully get 1 Gb down.

At some point I will put my old router in between my modem and the R2, I suppose I'll need to add static routes for gaming devices to avoid double NAT. In your other response about the disconnects you mention wifi specifically - I just wanna clarify to say that whenever this problem happens for me, it is not just wifi that is stops working, its everything on the downstream of the router. 

• Administrators

Perhaps part of that is also why the R2 is receiving less speeds - in the 3 dot icon in the top right of the interface click router admin > preferences > untick the collect technical data etc option if enabled. I'm not sure if you did this or not, I mentioned it in passing but disable the protection options in Settings > WAN as well. Once you've done all that, reboot the router from the interface and see if your speeds increase.

No need to add static routes, putting the R2 in the DMZ of the Asus should be sufficient. 

Hi Fraser,

Thank you for the tips. Unfortunately, I already have data collection disabled and from some of your other comments, I've seen where you mentioned disabling WAN protections as suggestions, so those have also been off. 

The only thing I have enabled at the moment is "allow ping" and "spanning tree protocol" (bc I have a small switch downstream). I can try disabling those though if you think it will help. 

• Administrators

I don't think you'll need STP enabled for one small switch so disable that and give it a try. Allow ping shouldn't affect it in the slightest but sometimes it's the weirdest options that can have a big effect so worth a shot. Let us know how you get on.