Router suddenly lost connection to the internet

saxon.cs

As the name states, the router suddenly stopped connecting to the internet correctly despite claiming everything is fine. I tried a factory reset but because it can't connect to the internet it won't finish the setup process, I think it's just dead. I bought the thing in february so it should still be under warranty but I don't know who to contact.

Hey Saxon, Welcome to the forum!

It's strange that it would just lose connection out of the blue after working for so many months!

Can you confirm if there were any changes to the ISP supplied modem you've got it connected to?

If you connect your device directly to the ISP modem, do you have internet access again?

Just to clarify, are you able to access the R2s interface/settings when you experience the drop?

I haven't changed the modem at all no,

Yes I can connect through the modem just fine,

I was able to access the settings but I may not be able to anymore as the factory reset pressumably won't complete without a connection to the internet.

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

What is your exact physical setup? Do you know if you require anything such as PPPoE in order to get a connection? You can complete the factory reset/setup wizard without internet. When it fails, click the manual option as in to enter details manually but then skip it and you'll get through to the interface. You'll most likely need to reboot the router/modem in order to re-establish the connection.

• 2 weeks later...

My specific setup involves the stock modem my isp provided, I believe it's called a telstra smart modem with the wifi turned off, it's usually wired to the R2 which then handles the WiFi and connects to three other wired computers, as far as I know nothing requires PPPoE to connect.

As of now though nothing works through the R2 anymore so I have to plug everything directly into the modem and switch on the wifi at which point I get no issues.

I managed to connect back to the R2 and finish the setup offline but it's still the same story, everything seems to be fine but the speed caps at around 0.01 mbps so it's functionally useless.

• Administrators

Is it definitely the R2 you have? You mentioned you purchased in February but we launched in August, are you referring to the R1 perhaps?

Go back to the router interface, have you adjusted the bandwidth in QoS settings to accurately portray what you pay for/expect? If you disable QoS fully from the same menu do the speeds improve? Is that speed through ethernet, wifi or both?

It's an R2, I just checked the email and I ordered it in august, no idea where I got February from, The speeds were slow both wired and wireless.

I just turned the router on today to try turning the QoS off only to find that the problem seems to have fixed itself in spite of me not doing anything with it. So I guess all's well for now, I'll post again if nothing goes wrong over the next couple of days.

• 1 month later...

Hi, sorry it took so long to get back around to this, I was on the previous firmware version and just updated, things are working for now but that's been the case before so I'll update in a day or two if everything is holding up.

The router's IP is set to it's default 77.1 address so unless there's a different setting that needs to be changed I should have a static IP.

Set up a static IP from my modem and initiated a factory reset and now I can't connect to it at all, the modem no longer recognizes it and even though the wifi signal is still available nothing can connect to it.

Updating the firmware has seemingly caused the router to admit that it isn't connecting instead of claiming that it's connected and not showing any traffic it now just  it's disconnected and the light on the front remains off.

• Administrators
11 hours ago, saxon.cs said:

It just says "WAN IP: disconnected", doesn't show an IP address, and yes I did.

You set a static IP for the R2 on the ISP router/modem so in Settings on the R2 switch to static and enter that information and apply. See if it gets a connection then please.