WiFi very unreliable

Oren Tasuna

Hi,

WiFi is constantly unstable, I can't remember when was the last time where it worked for more than 2 hours without having to restart - including devices that are literally 1 meter away from the router without any obstacle in between.  

Is this a software issue or a hardware issue? is it both?

If you have a more stable version (WiFi wise), please send it. Also, a suggestion - instead of individually sending RC versions, just publish them in dedicated threads, this will also help you get much better feedback before releasing formal versions.

• Administrators

You're on the latest firmware I assume and have done a factory reset? I don't have any more builds to give out at the moment. I've been told we're not too far off for another build. If you have another router you can use for WiFi then due to the extent of your issues I'd suggest using that in the mean time. The versions I give out we don't want them to be basically publicly released as they haven't gone through full testing. 

We're talking about WiFi, not some SW issue, it is a major showstopper and probably the most important feature of a router (regardless of it being a gaming router).

Such issues should be addressed immediately by providing patches to current build and not as part of an overall build, you're basically telling us to have an unusable router until next build is ready, and it's not like you're releasing a version every week, there are very long periods between builds. 

• Administrators

I totally understand that and I do apologise for not having any more concrete/reassuring answers at present. I have been told it should be quite soon and does include some WiFi improvements. Until then I will list everything I think could help with the WiFi, some you may or may not have tried:

• Disable Syn Flood Protection in Settings
  • In DHCP Lease hours set to 168
  • Disable Mirror mode and give 2.4/5GHz different names
  • Use a WiFi analyzer to find the least congested channel and change to those
  • Experiment with the WiFi widths to find the best compromise between speed & range
  • Set Static/Reserved IPs for WiFi devices in DHCP

Thanks, I've already done most things based on suggestions on other posts (disable mirroring, lease time 168, use channels based on WiFi analyzer).

Currently 5G network is completely unusable (tried Auto, 80 and 40) - disconnects every few seconds and very poor distance coverage, 2.4G is more stable but still disconnects after short periods (though not as short as 5G).

I'll try other suggestions and see if it helps. 

BTW - one more thing worth mentioning to developers - it seems that router becomes less and less stable as a function of time, meaning it probably has memory leaks or internal invalid states, so it has to be restarted every couple of days. Hope it will be resolved soon, thanks.

Great thanks for the info, can you confirm a factory reset was carried out. I know it’s seems strange to do one but it flushes the NVram of old code.

is your router placed near any electrical equipment?

Ok great, I would try moving it away at least 4 to 6ft away from any electrical equipment and test. Sorry for the inconvenience but it’s worth checking if it’s EMI that’s causing an issue.

Normally router manufactures will state in the manual about keeping away from electrical devices, even ceilings fans and while routers offer some protection it would be great to see if in your case it’s EMI that’s creating issues. 

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Oren Tasuna said:

Hi, after a few days I think enabling STP had a positive affect, WiFi seems more stable (though there are still disconnections, but not as often).

That's something at least but not ideal. We're testing a new firmware at the moment so hopefully we'll be able to get that out next week and it'll be more stable.

6 hours ago, Bushido_24 said:

the wifi on R2 is awful omg

We're working on improving that as much as possible, each firmware should be better than the last.

I have wifi issues at times too. It doesn't drop out but if I am in a couple rooms over the signal strength at times will drop low on the 5 Ghz. Which doesnt make sense because it should auto switch to 2.4 if the signal goes poor. Still waiting on a fix for being able to switch channels on 5 Ghz though.

• Administrators
34 minutes ago, Dyson350 said:

I have wifi issues at times too. It doesn't drop out but if I am in a couple rooms over the signal strength at times will drop low on the 5 Ghz. Which doesnt make sense because it should auto switch to 2.4 if the signal goes poor. Still waiting on a fix for being able to switch channels on 5 Ghz though.

It should switch over yes, if you go even further (if possible) will it switch to 2.4GHz if the signal disappears/goes really low at all?

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It should switch over yes, if you go even further (if possible) will it switch to 2.4GHz if the signal disappears/goes really low at all?

Sometime it will be 2 bars and not switch to 2.4. I haven't really tested it much. Just notice I will have low signal at 5 sometimes.

Right now I am literally right next to the router and its at 2.4

• Administrators

Okay thank you, I will make a ticket for this so the devs can take a look. Likely didn't change to 2.4GHz when close as no device needed high bandwidth. When you were far away if you were using heavy bandwidth it may have had enough signal to give good speeds.

2 hours ago, Dyson350 said:

Sometime it will be 2 bars and not switch to 2.4. I haven't really tested it much. Just notice I will have low signal at 5 sometimes.

Right now I am literally right next to the router and its at 2.4

A lot of bandsteering is device dependant so it’s worth looking up your device to see when it moves over the channel. NG use smart connect and while it does work sometimes it’s not that reliable so many will simply split the channels.