Could not detect an internet connection

RoachMongrill

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, RoachMongrill said:

Hello, just got my replacement and having same issues. Under network status says my wan ip is disconnected and I’m not knowledgeable enough in this area to attempt anything. 

Okay so first make sure you're upgraded to .179 and do a factory reset after that, hopefully it will get a connection then but if not. Get the MAC address from the previous router that you were using and put that in the R2 network settings. That should hopefully trick the modem into thinking it is connected to the old router and force a connection.

Ok, so I updated the firmware. Did a factory reset, then with the router on I power cycled the modem and got internet without messing with the MAC address. So, for now, things look good. I’ll update if any problems arise. Thanks again for all your help Fraser! 

• 3 weeks later...

I just a couple days ago purchased the sb8200 and also have the same issues. So much so that I had them activate my old modem just so I could have consistent internet. After MULTIPLE resets of both the modem and router I can eventually get online, but as soon as I reset the modem I’m right back to the r2 seeming to not recognize a signal coming from my modem. Very frustrating as the sb8200 wasn’t cheap and is now just sitting on my shelf.  

Welcome to the forum!

Are you aware of any non-default settings on your old modem that you may have changed previously? It may be that you need to mirror the configuration of the old modem and see if that helps matters?

I would also suggest checking that your network doesn't require a PPPoE login or static IP, you can usually check this on your ISPs website!

Thank you for the quick response. I never changed any settings on my old modem and changing back to the old one everything works flawlessly without having to change anything or reset anything. Once activated it worked the first time and works every time I reset my modem. The one common denominator between everyone posting appears to be the sb8200, which doesn’t seem to play nice with the r2. My isp doesn’t require pppoe. Both modems are the same brand just different models and the sb8200 has two Ethernet ports where the cm3200 only has one (both are arris brand). I feel terrible. I kept calling and blaming the isp for not having my modem provisioned correctly but others had the same issue, using the same modem, so it seems pretty evident that it wasn’t the isp, this time lol. I tried every suggestion from the previous posts and like I mentioned I can get it to work after countless resets of both the modem and router, but something as simple as rebooting my modem, puts me back at square one, which is a shame because I get much better speeds from the sb8200, when it will connect. 

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, Kfetish said:

Thank you for the quick response. I never changed any settings on my old modem and changing back to the old one everything works flawlessly without having to change anything or reset anything. Once activated it worked the first time and works every time I reset my modem. The one common denominator between everyone posting appears to be the sb8200, which doesn’t seem to play nice with the r2. My isp doesn’t require pppoe. Both modems are the same brand just different models and the sb8200 has two Ethernet ports where the cm3200 only has one (both are arris brand). I feel terrible. I kept calling and blaming the isp for not having my modem provisioned correctly but others had the same issue, using the same modem, so it seems pretty evident that it wasn’t the isp, this time lol. I tried every suggestion from the previous posts and like I mentioned I can get it to work after countless resets of both the modem and router, but something as simple as rebooting my modem, puts me back at square one, which is a shame because I get much better speeds from the sb8200, when it will connect. 

I think that model has Energy Efficient Ethernet, are you able to disable this on the arris and see if you can get a connection easier then with the R2? 

Just wanted to update this since everyone was so nice and responded so quickly. I reactivated the sb8200 and it’s working without me having to do anything so far and since it’s working I’m not going to reset it lol. Once I do reset it if I run into any issues I’ll try to power cycle the modem while the router is plugged in, and will report back with my findings whether positive or negative in the hopes it can help someone else. 

I’ve used these forums to fix countless problems or to just find recommended settings. This is the first time I’ve evert posted due to having the same problem and equipment with no solution in sight. Thank you to everyone who helped. I truly appreciate everything you do for the community and your users. I’m a proud r1&r2 owner and couldn’t be happier. 

I was unable to get mine working. I ended up getting the NightHawk XR1000 which has the DumaOS on it and it connected without any issues.

It really does point to a compatibility issue with the SB8200. I had to use the SB8200 because the original modem provided by my ISP was having issues and once I looked into it further it was a model that is impacted by the Intel Puma Chipset defect, which causes all kinds of odd connection issues as explained here https://approvedmodemlist.com/intel-puma-6-modem-list-chipset-defects/. I spent 2 years chasing issues with my ISP to eventually find that the modem was the problem all along. The SB8200 is one of the best modems that you can get right now and I'm surprised that the R2 is having issues connection to it.

• Administrators
30 minutes ago, Kfetish said:

Just wanted to update this since everyone was so nice and responded so quickly. I reactivated the sb8200 and it’s working without me having to do anything so far and since it’s working I’m not going to reset it lol. Once I do reset it if I run into any issues I’ll try to power cycle the modem while the router is plugged in, and will report back with my findings whether positive or negative in the hopes it can help someone else. 

I’ve used these forums to fix countless problems or to just find recommended settings. This is the first time I’ve evert posted due to having the same problem and equipment with no solution in sight. Thank you to everyone who helped. I truly appreciate everything you do for the community and your users. I’m a proud r1&r2 owner and couldn’t be happier. 

Really great to hear that! Isn't it nice when things just start working :D you're very welcome!

12 minutes ago, BenUSA said:

I was unable to get mine working. I ended up getting the NightHawk XR1000 which has the DumaOS on it and it connected without any issues.

It really does point to a compatibility issue with the SB8200. I had to use the SB8200 because the original modem provided by my ISP was having issues and once I looked into it further it was a model that is impacted by the Intel Puma Chipset defect, which causes all kinds of odd connection issues as explained here https://approvedmodemlist.com/intel-puma-6-modem-list-chipset-defects/. I spent 2 years chasing issues with my ISP to eventually find that the modem was the problem all along. The SB8200 is one of the best modems that you can get right now and I'm surprised that the R2 is having issues connection to it.

Try disabling the energy efficient ethernet setting I mentioned and see if that helps.