NetDuma R2 Overheating and Resetting

erasmo0284

Hi, I have only 2 month with my Netduma R2 and After the device overheat "I think" it is resetting the device and I'm not having access to the Router IP and There is not Internet Connection. I feel the unit kind hot that's why I think it is overheating, But I'm probably wrong because this is my first Netduma. The unit came with a defective Antenna, the Antenna never stay up. 

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear about your issues. You should be able to tighten the antennae. Have you upgraded to the latest version yet .179? If not I would suggest doing that first, you can find it here: https://forum.netduma.com/topic/33236-announcement-new-r2-firmware-30179/ after you have done the upgrade I would recommend a factory reset. Then let us know if you continue to have issues. 

The router is placed poorly, there is lots of electrical equipment round it which will cause RFI. The router is best placed away from other electrical sources and in an area where the WiFi is not impeded, best not to be at the back of a tv or monitor.

8 hours ago, erasmo0284 said:

I dont use wifi. I have Wifi Disable on Modem and Router when is working, This Netduma is for Gaming so only hardwire.

The problem is still RFI, have you tried placing the router away from electrical equipment and tested it?

Guest Killhippie

You need better airflow too that's really not a place to put a router and the R2 may run warm and needs better ventilation. In all honesty I would place it in a clear space so no EMI is causing issues and where it gets much better airflow. Where it is now is not good for any of that.

28 minutes ago, Killhippie said:

You need better airflow too that's really not a place to put a router and the R2 may run warm and needs better ventilation. In all honesty I would place it in a clear space so no EMI is causing issues and where it gets much better airflow. Where it is now is not good for any of that.

EMI that’s what I was thinking of this morning but for the life of me before my first coffee of the day my brain was switched off.

I believe Netgear normally mention placement of routers which included such things as ceiling fans. 

14 hours ago, erasmo0284 said:

IMG_0755.jpeg

There’s nothing plugged in to your router, I can see the wan ports used but no other port is used, are you sure you are not using

WiFi?

2.4 led is on, can I ask are you gaming via WiFi connection as the light would be off.

Guest Killhippie

I have to say apart from trying to work out what's going on in this picture, there are no Ethernet connections to your router and 2.4Ghz is lit up as above. I have no idea what that arm is unless its for the monitor? Its all spaghetti hell mixed with inception nightmare perspective so I cant make anything out clearly. :(

I'll move it to a better place. There is no cable connected because I'm not using the Router as I said in the header it is overheating and resetting. 

This is the first time I have problems with a router. 

The surface of my desk is not wood.

The ambient temperature in that area is not hot.

The PC next to the router is not a gaming PC so no heat

I'll place the router in a better place and let you know. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
7 hours ago, erasmo0284 said:

After one week and a half the Netduma keeps doing the same thing but it is not overheating. 

So just to clarify you lose internet and interface access? How often is that happening? Is it all devices or just wifi/ethernet devices?

It took like 5 days after moving the Router to a different place. 

I don't use Wifi, all the connections are by cable/Ethernert.

After a Week, all the devices connected to the Netduma lost internet connection and it does not connect back to the internet.

I have my google wifi connected and my personal PC by wire.