Upstream/Upload issues leading to Ping spikes

SendNukes

since this router does practically everything, I figured I'd ask.

I've been having issues with my internet fr years and years..

Isp always says lines look good. Signal is good. 

All new coax ran through my home. 

Only one brand new 2 way splitter for cable modem and tv box (-3.5db)

Docsis 3.1 modem 32x8 (2x2)

Signal/power levels all in recommended range.

All wiring firmly secured

But I get t3 time outs

The issue is my upload speed fluctuating like crazy also causing huge lag spikes when I game and its so bad.

Isp can't seem to find an issue.

Except for last week, a support forum agent said my neighborhood has shown some "intermittent noise issues"

A technician came out and once again... they found no "issues"

Does the Netduma R2 have some kind of feature that may help this?  

I'm willing to try anything at this point 

Hey SendNukes. When you get T3 timeouts that is something no router can help. There are several things that cause that. What is taking place is when a T3 timeout occurs is because of a signal drop. The bad part about that is because it happens so quick and then recovers it goes unnoticed by the ISP. The only proof you have is the modem logs that log the T3 timeout. 

Some of the common causes are a bad modem, bad splitter, bad connector, weak amplifier, a bad drop to the home. Those are just some of the causes which you can see are difficult to find.. So many things can effect coaxial cable type ISP is one reason I dont like them myself.. There just very difficult to find and of course to get fixed..

What brand and model number is your modem?

Who is your ISP?

Also how many splitters do you have after the main line coming into your home?

When the technician shows up to your home is he and install guy or is he a real technician? An install guy has vey little knowledge and very limited testing equipment.. Imo you need a line technician.. But pending on the ISP you have the rule of thumb is they wont send a line tech out until one reaches the 3 call mark. That of course varies by the ISP one has..

Zippy.

22 minutes ago, Zippy said:

What brand and model number is your modem?

Who is your ISP?

Also how many splitters do you have after the main line coming into your home?

When the technician shows up to your home is he and install guy or is he a real technician?

Arris SB8200 

Cox Communications 

Only one sitter. For tv box and cable modem.

(-3.5db)

Yea I've been through plenty of calls. I've have many technicians out here and even senior technicians.

I've ensured that everything that is within my control as far as hardware quality and wiring is top knotch and working perfectly as it should. 

I'm kind of stuck because this is the only provider in my area and they aren't getting to the bottom of it

• Administrators

Zippy is right on the money! It's not something the R2 will be able to help with, as Zippy said, one possibility is the modem so perhaps if the ISP allows it you could try a third party modem to see if that resolves it.

7 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Ah okay so probably one of the other factors Zippy mentioned then unfortunately.

It's definitely nothing in my home. I've ensured every is working properly and elimated any possible factors.

I believe it's ingress from anything home on the same node... maybe

I highly doubt its your modem.. That particular modem you have should be a pretty solid performer.. I actually beta tested that modem Arris SB8200.. Its one of the first modems that was used in the DOCSIS 3.1 testing.. And its not the puma chipset.. Is it possible you have a bad modem.. Its possible but I feel its very unlikely.. I do have good knowledge with cable type ISP. We use to own the cable company here in our town before we sold out to Spectrum.. By the sound of what your explaining Its something out on the pole or far before it ever gets to your home.. You could try another modem.. But that is up to you. I just would hate to see you throw money at something that is out of your control and doesnt help..

Im not sure if your ISP has this but its something you can ask them.. And that is to have your connection put on the watch list so they can monitor your connection for anything out of the norm.. I know Spectrum has this and ive used it a few times because I was getting T3 timeouts at one time. It took about 2 weeks but the issue was found. It turned out squirrels actually chewed through the main line and exposed the core.. They had to replace the whole section in that block.. 

Do you happen to have another modem to try? 

Do those T3 timeouts happen through out the day or do they seem to happen at a particular time of day?

Good luck!

Zippy.

10 minutes ago, Zippy said:

I highly doubt its your modem.. That particular modem you have should be a pretty solid performer.. I actually beta tested that modem Arris SB8200.. Its one of the first modems that was used in the DOCSIS 3.1 testing.. And its not the puma chipset.. Is it possible you have a bad modem.. Its possible but I feel its very unlikely.. I do have good knowledge with cable type ISP. We use to own the cable company here in our town before we sold out to Spectrum.. By the sound of what your explaining Its something out on the pole or far before it ever gets to your home.. You could try another modem.. But that is up to you. I just would hate to see you throw money at something that is out of your control and doesnt help..

Im not sure if your ISP has this but its something you can ask them.. And that is to have your connection put on the watch list so they can monitor your connection for anything out of the norm.. I know Spectrum has this and ive used it a few times because I was getting T3 timeouts at one time. It took about 2 weeks but the issue was found. It turned out squirrels actually chewed through the main line and exposed the core.. They had to replace the whole section in that block.. 

Do you happen to have another modem to try? 

Do those T3 timeouts happen through out the day or do they seem to happen at a particular time of day?

Good luck!

Zippy.

Yea, ironically,  I had two sb8200 because my girlfriend bought one and found out that her isp didn't support docsis 3.1.

I've tried both of the SB8200 and I also have a netgear cm1000. 

All same results.

I was finally told that my area has "Intermittent Noise Issues "

So im going to push the issue until I get results. 

I would assume "Intermittent noise issues" could cause random pink spikes and terrible uploads, right?

2 minutes ago, SendNukes said:

Yea, ironically,  I had two sb8200 because my girlfriend bought one and found out that her isp didn't support docsis 3.1.

I've tried both of the SB8200 and I also have a netgear cm1000. 

All same results.

I was finally told that my area has "Intermittent Noise Issues "

So im going to push the issue until I get results. 

I would assume "Intermittent noise issues" could cause random pink spikes and terrible uploads, right?

Excellent, Im glad you were able to at least rule out the modem.. Good job on that.. 

Yes most definitely noise issues will cause your connection to be very erratic.. And your ping will be all over the place and not at all stable.  So I can only imagine your gaming is not at all that fun.. And yes usually when there are noise type issues it effects the upload more so then the download of the internet.. That is because there are less bonded channels on the upload then download..  Your modem is actually trying to adjust for this but it cant find any clear channels and has limited amount of bonded channels to chose from on the upload side.. Thus the upload likely show more latency issues then download..  The new splitter that you are using was that replaced by COX tech?

Hope they get this sorted for you.

I will keep my fingers crossed for yah.

Zippy.

1 hour ago, SendNukes said:

Yessir. Brand new  provided and installed by Cox technician 

Okay thanks. So basically you will have to wait now and see what Cox does for you. Im sure others in your area have similar issues and likely have reported that also. Cox is aware of the issue. Just uncertain how fast and how thorough they will be at getting it sorted out.. Keep the pressure on them.. Im surprised they didnt give you an ETA of when they expect it to be fixed.. Good luck!

Zippy.

I was able to run a ping plotter on my girlfriends laptop, although I'm not very knowledgeable on this matter.

I used cox dns as final destination. 

3 hops in between me and final destination. 

One particular hop created high latency and some packet loss. 

Where to go from there?

6 hours ago, SendNukes said:

I was able to run a ping plotter on my girlfriends laptop, although I'm not very knowledgeable on this matter.

I used cox dns as final destination. 

3 hops in between me and final destination. 

One particular hop created high latency and some packet loss. 

Where to go from there?

ask your isp to check upstream cer/ccer and snr for performance issues. how much upstream are you paying for and how much are you actually getting? does your download speeds fluctuate alot if so you more than likely have an upstream issue. possible ingress into plant or oversold internet from your isp.

2 hours ago, CableGames22 said:

ask your isp to check upstream cer/ccer and snr for performance issues. how much upstream are you paying for and how much are you actually getting? does your download speeds fluctuate alot if so you more than likely have an upstream issue. possible ingress into plant or oversold internet from your isp.

Well I've checked my modem status page and my SnR is in range,  what is cer/ccer?

My downloads don't really suffer.

Its my upload speeds and major ping spikes.

My plan speeds are 940 Down/35 Up.

My uploads fluctuate from 1 to 35 lol 

cer is     codeword error correction 

ccer is   codeword error correction rate

I'm guessing you have some intermittent packet loss also

Snr on a cable plant in a node is      signal to noise ratio

you need this to be in the range of 30- 38 snr not at the modem's log page only a plant technician can check that or Noc level emplyees or management

Uploads in america is capped at about 55 mbps becasue of bandwidth allocation or upstream limitations of the upstream channels 5-45 mhz band

18 minutes ago, CableGames22 said:

cer is     codeword error correction 

ccer is   codeword error correction rate

I'm guessing you have some intermittent packet loss also

Snr on a cable plant in a node is      signal to noise ratio

you need this to be in the range of 30- 38 snr not at the modem's log page only a plant technician can check that or Noc level emplyees or management

Uploads in america is capped at about 55 mbps becasue of bandwidth allocation or upstream limitations of the upstream channels 5-45 mhz band

Yea i was told I had intermittent noise issues