Lots of issues since switching

hyperj123

I'm having to reboot this router on a daily basis. It's sitting right behind my ONT which has fiber. I have gigabit. One thing I notice is that when I go to play a game I'm hitching quite a bit and a restart fixes this. Other times my internet will completely cut out or have issues resolving some sites. These issues were present maybe a day after I installed my R2. What's prompting me to post right now is that my speeds just tanked down to less than 1mpbs when I have gigabit. Again, a restart fixed this issue and I'm getting a reasonable 500-800mbps down. I picked up the R2 due to it having more cpu horsepower because the R1 would just tank my gigabit connection down to less than half it's speed. Attached is a picture of the speed test that was done while having some issues just 10 minutes ago. Can I get some answers? Can I provide someone some logs? I also noticed during the "outages" where some sites wouldn't load the R2 would take almost 2-3 minutes to load up vs 10-20 seconds. I feel like this could be a memory issue or cpu issue but I'm not so sure. Edit: this is after a restart. These problems only occurred after installing the R2.

9995322209.png

Edit: this is after a restart. These problems only occurred after installing the R2.

9995366773.png

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/29/2020 at 7:00 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Sorry to hear you're having these issues, I have sent you a PM.

Sorry to bring up a dead thread but I have an update. DHCP stops handing out IP addresses after a few days of operation. I have enough leases in my scope. I pulled a log and have attached it here. It also looks like the the device manager fails and cannot re-initialize after a failure. Let me know if you want me to post the screen shots of that menu you told me to access.

log-1601234156928.txt

@hyperj123 same thing at my place with the R2. I went back to my old router...an EdgeRouter X. Its definitely superior to the R2 in its current state. 

ONT>EdgeRouter X>wifi AP >Network devices =happy family and good gaming 

ONT>R2 rev .123 >Network devices = constant restarts, jittery movement in game,  inconsistent wifi, throttled speeds even without congestion control, internet TV apps not loading, being blocked, or seriously slowed down and buffering even if i turn off all the things that are supposed to be the selling points of the R2, R-apps which won't work correctly, secret beta firmware messages sent to some so we can QC their latest attempt at fixing the monstrosity,  and lastly (but most importantly) a very unhappy family and crappy gaming sessions. 

We can only hope that the much anticipated firmware we've heard about since July will fix these issues without introducing 10 more. I want to love the R2, but the glitches make me despise it. I'd feel badly selling it to anyone else in the current state of the firmware. I refused to spend any more of my time troubleshooting R2 firmware when the EdgeRouter is flawless.  There's no payoff for all of the pain endured. 

• Administrators
12 hours ago, hyperj123 said:

Sorry to bring up a dead thread but I have an update. DHCP stops handing out IP addresses after a few days of operation. I have enough leases in my scope. I pulled a log and have attached it here. It also looks like the the device manager fails and cannot re-initialize after a failure. Let me know if you want me to post the screen shots of that menu you told me to access.

log-1601234156928.txt 72.21 kB · 2 downloads

If the devices already have an IP then that shouldn't cause a problem by try setting the DHCP lease hours to 168. Did the firmware not help at all?

1 hour ago, major masingil said:

@hyperj123 same thing at my place with the R2. I went back to my old router...an EdgeRouter X. Its definitely superior to the R2 in its current state. 

ONT>EdgeRouter X>wifi AP >Network devices =happy family and good gaming 

ONT>R2 rev .123 >Network devices = constant restarts, jittery movement in game,  inconsistent wifi, throttled speeds even without congestion control, internet TV apps not loading, being blocked, or seriously slowed down and buffering even if i turn off all the things that are supposed to be the selling points of the R2, R-apps which won't work correctly, secret beta firmware messages sent to some so we can QC their latest attempt at fixing the monstrosity,  and lastly (but most importantly) a very unhappy family and crappy gaming sessions. 

We can only hope that the much anticipated firmware we've heard about since July will fix these issues without introducing 10 more. I want to love the R2, but the glitches make me despise it. I'd feel badly selling it to anyone else in the current state of the firmware. I refused to spend any more of my time troubleshooting R2 firmware when the EdgeRouter is flawless.  There's no payoff for all of the pain endured. 

I've sent you a PM with a firmware to try, it's not anywhere near the version that we'll release publicly so realistically there wouldn't be much helpful information we could gather from it anyway but it may help.

hello fraser,
could you send me the firmware too? ping heatmap often does not load on my r2. when I restart my r2 it works again but at some point it doesn't work again. after the restart my gameplay also gets better. would like to try out the firmware, maybe it will work better for me.
greetings

8 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

If the devices already have an IP then that shouldn't cause a problem by try setting the DHCP lease hours to 168. Did the firmware not help at all?

I've sent you a PM with a firmware to try, it's not anywhere near the version that we'll release publicly so realistically there wouldn't be much helpful information we could gather from it anyway but it may help.

So I lose internet entirely. As it turns out the devices that were connected via hardwire don't have internet but I can access the router via it's direct IP. I cannot resolve dumaos/. So maybe a DNS issue? All I know is when I logged in via direct IP I saw a process that was failing to initialize multiple times and only a full reboot would resolve the issue. I'll attach that screenshot of the app state here. You can see one of the is in a "N/A" state. Please look through the log I pulled and let me know what I should do.

2020-09-27 15_17_18-System Information - DumaOS.png