Rubber Banding - What is causing it?

arky_4

44 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

What do you get via speedtest.net? What do you get if you toggle that Disable QoS checkbox? I'd recommend you don't prioritize the console actually as that will override the stream which needs a steady flow of packets to appear smooth, see how that works.

I've had a go at. disabling QoS and don't get any different. Just to add i've actually got a smart which to that part of house but i've prioritized the playstation and wireless laptop ports.

Do you mean disabling the traffic priorization for the console?

• Administrators
1 hour ago, arky_4 said:

I've had a go at. disabling QoS and don't get any different. Just to add i've actually got a smart which to that part of house but i've prioritized the playstation and wireless laptop ports.

Do you mean disabling the traffic priorization for the console?

Yes disable Traffic Prio and see if that makes the stream perform better.

I would suggest reinstalling the firmware entirely using the TFTP method - this will bypass the boot process and any issues there. Then do a factory reset, that will give you the freshest install possible and hopefully get your speeds up. If that doesn't help set the XR MAC address to the MAC address of your old router, apply and reboot.

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

12 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Yes disable Traffic Prio and see if that makes the stream perform better.

I would suggest reinstalling the firmware entirely using the TFTP method - this will bypass the boot process and any issues there. Then do a factory reset, that will give you the freshest install possible and hopefully get your speeds up. If that doesn't help set the XR MAC address to the MAC address of your old router, apply and reboot.

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

Ended up streaming last night and that was completely fine no dropped/skipped frames.

I did however notice in the game the lagging a few times. I could have a go with disabling the traffic prio and see if that alters anything.

What will setting XR mac address to old mac address do exactly?

Hi,

Managed to find my old ISP router and im now getting full speeds and very good upload too when I do the tests.

So that 100% points to the RX500 for me.

I did some more testing with RX500 this morning and a different streaming software OBS and it was dropping frames all over the place.

Whats the best course of action to get it working? I've had a look at the link above about re doing the firmware but the mac OS link is broken which is what im using?

Hi. Again,

Right pretty sure ive got down to the bottom of it!! or at least part of why its happening.

So its looking like the QoS is the problem.

I've run a bunch of tests

1. Anti Buffer Bloat = Never

Bandwidth Allocation Download = 100% (for computer testing)

Bandwidth Allocation Up = 100% (for computer testing)

With this I get exactly what is quoted with the ISP.

2. Deselected Traffic Priorization for PS4

Anti Buffer Bloat = Never

3. Delected Traffic Priorization for PS4

Anti Buffer Bloat = When high priority network traffic detected 70% Down and Up

Bandwidth Allocation Download = 44% (for computer testing) Gave rest to PS4 (Turned off)

Bandwidth Allocation Up = 44% (for computer testing) Gave rest to PS4 (Turned off)

With this I get exactly slighted reduced but thats as expected and the upload looks solid with testing speeds.

4. Delected Traffic Priorization for PS4

Anti Buffer Bloat = Always 70% Down and Up

Bandwidth Allocation Download = 44% (for computer testing) Gave rest to PS4 (Turned off)

Bandwidth Allocation Up = 44% (for computer testing) Gave rest to PS4 (Turned off)

With this I get get normal download but there is a break in the upload tests im doing whereby it dropped out.

So previously i'd have this on Always along with the Traffic Priorization for PS4

I need to do some testing with number 3 for everything and see how it performs.

Looks like it could be having it on always and the traffic priorization which is very weird!

Any suggestions as to why this would be?

All this is done without anything else going on network.

This actually makes sense. I believe something is wrong won’t be bandwidth allocation. I wish we could disable that but you’d have to disable QoS entirely. It would be a unique function for unique users. Hopefully duma could figure out a way to fix this. I pull 2k bandwidth in cod sometimes which makes sense why you had to drag 100 to get your full speeds. Simply share excess is not working / needs to be more open to giving bandwidth 

• Administrators
On 9/8/2020 at 9:26 AM, arky_4 said:

Ended up streaming last night and that was completely fine no dropped/skipped frames.

I did however notice in the game the lagging a few times. I could have a go with disabling the traffic prio and see if that alters anything.

What will setting XR mac address to old mac address do exactly?

4 hours ago, arky_4 said:

Hi,

Managed to find my old ISP router and im now getting full speeds and very good upload too when I do the tests.

So that 100% points to the RX500 for me.

I did some more testing with RX500 this morning and a different streaming software OBS and it was dropping frames all over the place.

Whats the best course of action to get it working? I've had a look at the link above about re doing the firmware but the mac OS link is broken which is what im using?

Setting the MAC should help you get closer to your normal speeds. Here's how to setup the static IP on MAC: https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/22161/how-to-set-up-a-static-ip-in-mac-os-x/ then you can continue the TFTP guide from step 5. Do try without prio enabled.

3 hours ago, arky_4 said:

Hi. Again,

Right pretty sure ive got down to the bottom of it!! or at least part of why its happening.

So its looking like the QoS is the problem.

I've run a bunch of tests

1. Anti Buffer Bloat = Never

2. Deselected Traffic Priorization for PS4

Anti Buffer Bloat = Never

3. Delected Traffic Priorization for PS4

Anti Buffer Bloat = When high priority network traffic detected 70% Down and Up

With this I get exactly slighted reduced but thats as expected and the upload looks solid with testing speeds.

4. Delected Traffic Priorization for PS4

Anti Buffer Bloat = Always 70% Down and Up

With this I get get normal download but there is a break in the upload tests im doing whereby it dropped out.

So previously i'd have this on Always along with the Traffic Priorization for PS4

I need to do some testing with number 3 for everything and see how it performs.

Looks like it could be having it on always and the traffic priorization which is very weird!

Any suggestions as to why this would be?

All this is done without anything else going on network.

It would be active all the time so maybe it is unnecessary for your connection to always have it active and is only needed when gaming.

I think we may have had a false dawn as playing today got the issues again.

Setting Anti BB to Never produced my proper speeds and I did try playing the game with Always, sometimes and Never which all produced the problem.

I'm starting to wonder if its a server issues perhaps?

I've currently turned off my strict mode for my Geo Filter so get dedicated servers. I've not done anything with ping assist.

So confusing all this!

• Administrators

Okay lets go manual and add these ports to traffic prioritization, using the default 1-65535 as the source and just changing the destination to these values: https://portforward.com/call-of-duty-modern-warfare/

As it is more targeted, in theory it may help more.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay lets go manual and add these ports to traffic prioritization, using the default 1-65535 as the source and just changing the destination to these values: https://portforward.com/call-of-duty-modern-warfare/

As it is more targeted, in theory it may help more.

Okay happy to try anything.

How do you put them in? is it one or the other and would you include the 1st set of numbers also?

• TCP: 1935,3478-3480
  • UDP: 3074,3478-3479

• Administrators
44 minutes ago, arky_4 said:

Okay happy to try anything.

How do you put them in? is it one or the other and would you include the 1st set of numbers also?

• TCP: 1935,3478-3480
  • UDP: 3074,3478-3479

So there is three rules here basically, here is how to enter them:

Source (same for all): 
Start 1
End 65535
Destination:
Start 1935
End 1935
Protocol TCP
-
Source as above
Destination:

Start 3074
End 3074
Protocol UDP

Source as above
Destination:

Start 3478
End 3480
Protocol TCP & UDP

4 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

So there is three rules here basically, here is how to enter them:

Source (same for all): 
Start 1
End 65535
Destination:
Start 1935
End 1935
Protocol TCP
-
Source as above
Destination:

Start 3074
End 3074
Protocol UDP

Source as above
Destination:

Start 3478
End 3480
Protocol TCP & UDP

No joy im afraid still getting the issue

Did some tests last night basically trying all manner of combinations with the QoS and some bits id seen in another post.

Im starting to lean towards this being a Wispa thing as you mentioned spikes? 

Im not sure what more we can test.

TEST.xlsx

• Administrators
2 hours ago, arky_4 said:

Did some tests last night basically trying all manner of combinations with the QoS and some bits id seen in another post.

Im starting to lean towards this being a Wispa thing as you mentioned spikes? 

Im not sure what more we can test.

TEST.xlsx 10.03 kB · 1 download

That's what I would assume yes. Thanks for the results, I would suggest using this guide while saturating the network with downloads/streams etc and adjust the Anti-BB sliders with Always selected until you find what lowers the ping the most/keeps it stable/ensures no packet loss. Once you have that down play a game and see if there is a difference http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping

On 9/12/2020 at 5:21 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

That's what I would assume yes. Thanks for the results, I would suggest using this guide while saturating the network with downloads/streams etc and adjust the Anti-BB sliders with Always selected until you find what lowers the ping the most/keeps it stable/ensures no packet loss. Once you have that down play a game and see if there is a difference http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping

Hi Fraser,

Had another go at at least and no matter what I try there is always some packet loss.

Currently ive got it the best I can but obviously still happening.

There is talk of the company offering fibre and has been in the pipe line for a while.

I'm really hoping this is a better alternative! Presume theres advantages for this type of connection?

All my mates appear to be on fibre and don't get the issues im experiencing.

• Administrators
5 hours ago, arky_4 said:

Hi Fraser,

Had another go at at least and no matter what I try there is always some packet loss.

Currently ive got it the best I can but obviously still happening.

There is talk of the company offering fibre and has been in the pipe line for a while.

I'm really hoping this is a better alternative! Presume theres advantages for this type of connection?

All my mates appear to be on fibre and don't get the issues im experiencing.

Packet loss shown by red bars on the bottom graph? I would go for fibre personally yes if available.

• Administrators

There isn't much you can do at the moment, possible replace the modem/hub if possible but other than that waiting for the better upgrade is the best bet unfortunately. At least you are optimized as much as you can be given the connection.

On 9/14/2020 at 5:43 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

There isn't much you can do at the moment, possible replace the modem/hub if possible but other than that waiting for the better upgrade is the best bet unfortunately. At least you are optimized as much as you can be given the connection.

So interestingly decided to have ping plotter on whilst playing the game.

The bit where I was experiencing rubber banding I didn't get a packet lose red splike in ping plotter.

Any ideas what this might be instead?

Since you're using a WISP, it becomes much more likely that there will be instability. Unfortunately there's not that much we can do to fix this, but we can try.

I think the best thing to do would be to set anti-BB to Always, 70% up and down, and then make sure you specifically add the game you're playing to Traffic Prio.

With any luck, this will push Call of Duty to the front of the queue which will hopefully mitigate the lag spikes.

If all you're experiencing is a reduction in speed, then we just need to put the anti-BB sliders to the lowest point your speeds can hit.

If however all traffic is being dropped, then there's not much we'll be able to do.