Netduma R2 with Sky Q

ChrisCohen

Hello all,

So sorry if this is a duplicate post, I've tried reading through other issues relating to the R2 and the Sky Q router and can't get my head round it all.

Tomorrow my R2 arrives. What I want to do, ideally, is put the R2 in the DMZ of the Sky Q router and then connect everything to the R2. Am I right in thinking that will bypass the Sky Q router (which can't be put in modem mode) and avoid double NAT?

If so, could someone give me a step by step guide as to how I do this? Thanks so much and sorry again if this is a stupid question or a duplicate post!

I’m with sky. But I found with most routers connected to the horrible sky q router had double Nat issues. And Plex was basicly unusable with it.

i use a separate bt open reach modem I got from eBay myself and don’t use the sky router at all only real way I personally found to stop those types of issues 

Guest Killhippie
14 hours ago, ChrisCohen said:

Hello all,

So sorry if this is a duplicate post, I've tried reading through other issues relating to the R2 and the Sky Q router and can't get my head round it all.

Tomorrow my R2 arrives. What I want to do, ideally, is put the R2 in the DMZ of the Sky Q router and then connect everything to the R2. Am I right in thinking that will bypass the Sky Q router (which can't be put in modem mode) and avoid double NAT?

If so, could someone give me a step by step guide as to how I do this? Thanks so much and sorry again if this is a stupid question or a duplicate post!

Is the whole system being used as a mesh set up? Sky Q and its mini-boxes make a mesh network of sorts, so if you use a third party main router you loose the ability to connect at 5Ghz to the sky Q TV  box and the whole mesh setup fails I believe. If you don't have any any mini-boxes then its easier to do what @trmin343 said.

I've been tinkering with my R1 in this setup and this is what I've done so far:

Grabbed the WAN IP of the R1 and put it into the DMZ details on the Sky Q Router.

Programmed the main Sky Q TV box in the lounge to connect to the duma WiFi rather than the Sky WiFi.

Disabled the WiFi on the Sky Q router.

Connected all other devices to the R1.

In order to get Sky Q on the one additional box we have upstairs, I'm going to run Cat 5 from it to the Duma and see if that works.

I'm guessing if that's all OK, then I can just replace the R1 with the new R2 when it arrives today and carry on as normal in this configuration?

Guest Killhippie
48 minutes ago, ChrisCohen said:

I've been tinkering with my R1 in this setup and this is what I've done so far:

Grabbed the WAN IP of the R1 and put it into the DMZ details on the Sky Q Router.

Programmed the main Sky Q TV box in the lounge to connect to the duma WiFi rather than the Sky WiFi.

Disabled the WiFi on the Sky Q router.

Connected all other devices to the R1.

In order to get Sky Q on the one additional box we have upstairs, I'm going to run Cat 5 from it to the Duma and see if that works.

I'm guessing if that's all OK, then I can just replace the R1 with the new R2 when it arrives today and carry on as normal in this configuration?

Not sure that will work as the Sky Q main box sends out its signal to the sky mini boxes over 5Ghz, they are protected for copyright reasons. The Sky Q TV box acts as part of a mesh system and each sky mini acts as a hotspot as well. How will the sky mini get the TV from and recordings from the sky Q box if there is no direct connection between the sky Q main TV box and the mini?  The mini relies on the sky Q main TV unit to send all its data over Wi-Fi. Im not sure this approach will work, best to talk on the Sky Q community forum about this part. https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/bd-p/skyq

8 minutes ago, Killhippie said:

Not sure that will work as the Sky Q main box sends out its signal to the sky mini boxes over 5Ghz, they are protected for copyright reasons. The Sky Q TV box acts as part of a mesh system and each sky mini acts as a hotspot as well. How will the sky mini get the TV from and recordings from the sky Q box if there is no direct connection between the sky Q main TV box and the mini?  The mini relies on the sky Q main TV unit to send all its data over Wi-Fi. Im not sure this approach will work, best to talk on the Sky Q community forum about this part. https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/bd-p/skyq

Ah well, I never use the mini to access recordings, I just use it to watch the football up here when the kids are being noisy downstairs.

I've just connected it via ethernet and everything appears to be working in terms of getting TV on both boxes. Like I said, I haven't tried accessing recordings from the mini box but that's only because that's a feature I don't really use.

As such, I think this set up will work fine for my needs. 

Do you think, with the Sky router having both wifi access points disabled, that's as good as sticking it in router mode? I understand you can't do that with the Sky Q router, but I just want to ensure that I'm not compromising any of the settings on the Duma by putting it in the DMZ of the Sky Q router and disabling all wifi access points on that box too.

UPDATE: I just tried accessing recordings on the main box downstairs from the mini box upstairs and it works fine! 

13 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Glad to hear you found a solution that works well for you. You've done the right thing circa Sky settings to allow the R2 to control all the devices effectively.

Thanks Fraser. I'm hoping I can just plug the R2 in when it arrives in place if the R1 and change the SSID and everything else will work the same!

• 1 month later...
On 8/25/2020 at 10:12 AM, ChrisCohen said:

Ah well, I never use the mini to access recordings, I just use it to watch the football up here when the kids are being noisy downstairs.

I've just connected it via ethernet and everything appears to be working in terms of getting TV on both boxes. Like I said, I haven't tried accessing recordings from the mini box but that's only because that's a feature I don't really use.

As such, I think this set up will work fine for my needs. 

Do you think, with the Sky router having both wifi access points disabled, that's as good as sticking it in router mode? I understand you can't do that with the Sky Q router, but I just want to ensure that I'm not compromising any of the settings on the Duma by putting it in the DMZ of the Sky Q router and disabling all wifi access points on that box too.

UPDATE: I just tried accessing recordings on the main box downstairs from the mini box upstairs and it works fine! 

Hi mate, 

After abit of advice on the above. Plugged in the R2 today and connected the sky q main box to the duma wifi, but i dont seem to be able to connect the mini. Did you say you had done this? 

Also does anyone know how i disconnect the sky hub wifi?

Thanks

22 minutes ago, TIMCSS said:

Hi mate, 

After abit of advice on the above. Plugged in the R2 today and connected the sky q main box to the duma wifi, but i dont seem to be able to connect the mini. Did you say you had done this? 

Also does anyone know how i disconnect the sky hub wifi?

Thanks

Hi,

The way I got it working in the end was to connect the mini box to the network via ethernet cable. I have a switch in the same room so it wasn't a problem.