Jump to content
TG3NOC1D3

Question regarding the Netduma R2

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone! So I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the Netduma R2 but I wanted to see if I could get a question answered. 

I recently moved and upgraded to a 400Mbps download connection with 25 Upload. With the og netduma this isn't possible to traffic shape but is it possible to traffic shape using the netduma r2? Thanks for any info regarding this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Awesome to hear you're thinking of getting the R2. Easy answer, yes absolutely you can!

Sweet! I was a little disappointed because i've owned a netgear r7800 and with openwrt on it, it couldn't even hold 300Mbps with sqm. I tried every algo imaginable but i was sacrificing a ton of speed for any shaping. Looks like i'll be getting a R2 then :D . Any idea on shipping time to Wyoming? Thanks again bro!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Awesome to hear you're thinking of getting the R2. Easy answer, yes absolutely you can!

Also, just to be 110%, my connection is 460Mbps Down, using qos with the Netduma R2 i'll be able to get around 400-420 with qos enabled? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TG3NOC1D3 said:

Also, just to be 110%, my connection is 460Mbps Down, using qos with the Netduma R2 i'll be able to get around 400-420 with qos enabled? 

Yes with your speeds you will have no trouble getting speeds 400-420 down with QoS enabled. But also remember its going to depend on what your CC sliders are set at as well.. So if you have your sliders or CC set to a lower value of say 380 for example then of course your not going to get 400 at that point. Which is totally understandable.. Hopefully you understand what im saying. But to put you mind at ease you will have no trouble to get what you want for speeds.

 Personally I think you will be very pleased with the R2. :)  Theres alot of very good features in the R2..

Btw.. Who is your ISP?

If you have other questions please feel free to ask.

Thanks!

Zippy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zippy said:

Yes with your speeds you will have no trouble getting speeds 400-420 down with QoS enabled. But also remember its going to depend on what your CC sliders are set at as well.. So if you have your sliders or CC set to a lower value of say 380 for example then of course your not going to get 400 at that point. Which is totally understandable.. Hopefully you understand what im saying. But to put you mind at ease you will have no trouble to get what you want for speeds.

 Personally I think you will be very pleased with the R2. :)  Theres alot of very good features in the R2..

Btw.. Who is your ISP?

If you have other questions please feel free to ask.

Thanks!

Zippy

 

Oh yeah I totally understand haha. I just meant like if set my sliders to 90% would i get 414ish but it sounds like that is the case, so I'm gonna pull the trigger on one tonight. Hopefully get it here by the weekend so i can use it to do some gaming. Do you know what the maximum shaping speed is? we get gigabit here but it's through copper, unless they offer to do fttc or ftth. I use spectrum currently. Well, this is charter's territory, so it's charters lines out here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TG3NOC1D3 said:

Oh yeah I totally understand haha. I just meant like if set my sliders to 90% would i get 414ish but it sounds like that is the case, so I'm gonna pull the trigger on one tonight. Hopefully get it here by the weekend so i can use it to do some gaming. Do you know what the maximum shaping speed is? we get gigabit here but it's through copper, unless they offer to do fttc or ftth. I use spectrum currently. Well, this is charter's territory, so it's charters lines out here.

Yes that would be correct. Basically whatever you set your CC sliders to your going to get speeds close to the said value one sets.. They may not be exact of course but they will be in the ballpark..  I think the maximum shaping speed is around the 800 mark. If memory serves me correct. I do believe its in that ballpark as well.. I could always find out for yah or im sure someone would chime in with the exact number.. Another bonus of owning an R2 is that DumaOS is optimized for the R2. And firmware updates and features will hit the R2 first before others. Which that in itself is valuable.. And if say you do run across an issue. You have to admit Netduma support will work with you to get it resolved.. Second to none!

I had a hunch you were in Charter Spectrum territory..  I also have Charter Spectrum.. It will be good to compare notes on how this works for you since we have the same ISP..  As far as Gig speeds through Charter Spectrum. There okay. Not ideal for myself because id much rather have symmetrical speeds.. So with your currents speeds id see how things perform for you first. If you had the option to get ftth or fttc then that would be a better option of course..

Pull the trigger! :D  Shipping has been fast in most cases. But with Covid (specially in the US) that can cause some delays. But for the most part it seems many are getting them in a very reasonable time.. They are shipped using DHL which is a very good shipper.. 

If there is any additional questions you have feel free to ask.

Good luck with your purchase. ;) 

Zippy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, TG3NOC1D3 said:

Sweet! I was a little disappointed because i've owned a netgear r7800 and with openwrt on it, it couldn't even hold 300Mbps with sqm. I tried every algo imaginable but i was sacrificing a ton of speed for any shaping. Looks like i'll be getting a R2 then :D . Any idea on shipping time to Wyoming? Thanks again bro!

Awesome to hear that, thanks for the support! It should be 1 working day shipping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Awesome to hear that, thanks for the support! It should be 1 working day shipping.

I pulled the trigger last night after zippy confirmed the ability to use qos at 400Mbps. Really looking forward to putting this bad boy through it's paces! I might have to be the first person to due a real in depth review on youtube. I noticed a lot of people don't discuss things like how much bandwidth a router can shape, which I believe would really put the spotlight on this equipment. Anyways, cheers man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Zippy said:

Yes that would be correct. Basically whatever you set your CC sliders to your going to get speeds close to the said value one sets.. They may not be exact of course but they will be in the ballpark..  I think the maximum shaping speed is around the 800 mark. If memory serves me correct. I do believe its in that ballpark as well.. I could always find out for yah or im sure someone would chime in with the exact number.. Another bonus of owning an R2 is that DumaOS is optimized for the R2. And firmware updates and features will hit the R2 first before others. Which that in itself is valuable.. And if say you do run across an issue. You have to admit Netduma support will work with you to get it resolved.. Second to none!

I had a hunch you were in Charter Spectrum territory..  I also have Charter Spectrum.. It will be good to compare notes on how this works for you since we have the same ISP..  As far as Gig speeds through Charter Spectrum. There okay. Not ideal for myself because id much rather have symmetrical speeds.. So with your currents speeds id see how things perform for you first. If you had the option to get ftth or fttc then that would be a better option of course..

Pull the trigger! :D  Shipping has been fast in most cases. But with Covid (specially in the US) that can cause some delays. But for the most part it seems many are getting them in a very reasonable time.. They are shipped using DHL which is a very good shipper.. 

If there is any additional questions you have feel free to ask.

Good luck with your purchase. ;) 

Zippy

I'm gonna give spectrum a call today to see about the fiber if I upgrade to gigabit. 400 is pretty fast already but honestly, I was pretty annoyed at the asymmetrical speed for their gigabit. 36 up on a gig connection.... c'mon man that's just being mega stingy. 800 shaped still is nothing to snuff at, my Netgear R7800 running the openwrt fw can't shape more than 180..... that was a kick in the dick tbh. 

Pulling the trigger for the new duma was pretty easy considering the tech support is literally from the dev/tech team themselves and you just don't get better customer service than that. Plus that auto bandwidth/cc config i saw on youtube was pretty badass. It's literally a 1-click and fix solution that keeps me from running pingplotter and adjusting the cc sliders while simulating a download using dslreports lol. That is money right there if you ask me lol. I appreciate all the info you gave me and I'm definitely down to compare notes on our networks seeing as we both get service from the same ISP. I'll be in touch when this router gets in, hopefully they can add Gears of war to the geofilter list, i play a ton of it on pc and xbox. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, TG3NOC1D3 said:

I'm gonna give spectrum a call today to see about the fiber if I upgrade to gigabit. 400 is pretty fast already but honestly, I was pretty annoyed at the asymmetrical speed for their gigabit. 36 up on a gig connection.... c'mon man that's just being mega stingy. 800 shaped still is nothing to snuff at, my Netgear R7800 running the openwrt fw can't shape more than 180..... that was a kick in the dick tbh. 

Pulling the trigger for the new duma was pretty easy considering the tech support is literally from the dev/tech team themselves and you just don't get better customer service than that. Plus that auto bandwidth/cc config i saw on youtube was pretty badass. It's literally a 1-click and fix solution that keeps me from running pingplotter and adjusting the cc sliders while simulating a download using dslreports lol. That is money right there if you ask me lol. I appreciate all the info you gave me and I'm definitely down to compare notes on our networks seeing as we both get service from the same ISP. I'll be in touch when this router gets in, hopefully they can add Gears of war to the geofilter list, i play a ton of it on pc and xbox. 

Exactly, Spectrums upload for gig speeds is shameful and thats why I dont even consider it for myself.. As far as im concerned gig speeds should be symmetrical. But thats just me.. lol..

Im glad to hear you pulled the trigger. Theres just alot packed into the R2. I like it purely because its all Netduma. 👍 And they have done alot of hard work to bring the best to the table for OS.. 

I was going to ask you what brand of modem do you currently have?

Anyways hope your router gets to you in a speedy fashion.. Good luck and enjoy!

Zippy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/14/2020 at 9:24 PM, Zippy said:

Exactly, Spectrums upload for gig speeds is shameful and thats why I dont even consider it for myself.. As far as im concerned gig speeds should be symmetrical. But thats just me.. lol..

Im glad to hear you pulled the trigger. Theres just alot packed into the R2. I like it purely because its all Netduma. 👍 And they have done alot of hard work to bring the best to the table for OS.. 

I was going to ask you what brand of modem do you currently have?

Anyways hope your router gets to you in a speedy fashion.. Good luck and enjoy!

Zippy.

That's why stuck with the Internet Ultra plan with 465/25. I wish that if you paid that giant markup for gigabit they'd just run fiber to your home at that point lmao. 

I'm debating switching to centurylink due to them having fiber nearby and they might offer it here. Worth checking imo, especially with a fancy router on the way. I've always liked netduma, especially their geofilter. It's so frustrating getting on a good server that's like 25-30ms and then next game you're on one rhat runs 60+ms. I got so fed up that i said fuck it and learned about the netduma r1. Homegrow tech support with a dedicated team leading innovation in gaming routers and my heart was full of joy.  

My modem is a charter spectrum modem. The E31U2V1 to be exact. It's labeled a DOCSIS 3.1 modem and it gets the full speed. After running a ping continuously using cmd it sits stable to googles dns at 10ms consistently which made me happy. 

 

Thanks for the well wishes on the router, I hope you're doing well and hopefully getting a fiber offer lol.  Cheers bro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TG3NOC1D3 said:

That's why stuck with the Internet Ultra plan with 465/25. I wish that if you paid that giant markup for gigabit they'd just run fiber to your home at that point lmao. 

I'm debating switching to centurylink due to them having fiber nearby and they might offer it here. Worth checking imo, especially with a fancy router on the way. I've always liked netduma, especially their geofilter. It's so frustrating getting on a good server that's like 25-30ms and then next game you're on one rhat runs 60+ms. I got so fed up that i said fuck it and learned about the netduma r1. Homegrow tech support with a dedicated team leading innovation in gaming routers and my heart was full of joy.  

My modem is a charter spectrum modem. The E31U2V1 to be exact. It's labeled a DOCSIS 3.1 modem and it gets the full speed. After running a ping continuously using cmd it sits stable to googles dns at 10ms consistently which made me happy. 

 

Thanks for the well wishes on the router, I hope you're doing well and hopefully getting a fiber offer lol.  Cheers bro.

Awesome! Good to hear you have a DOCSIS 3.1 modem.. That is key to have a low stable ping.. You should be golden having that. It really sounds like your setup well for the R2.. Im running the DOCSIS 3.1 SB8200. Been a solid performer.  Cable companies in general have been struggling with latency for a longtime. Until DOCSIS 3.1 came around. It has been a savior..  Centurylink is also in our area and could be another good choice.. But see how Spectrum runs for yah.. Centurylink can be hit and miss. But my friend has it and he seems to do well with it..

Thanks for the well wishes also. And we are working very hard to get fiber to home here in my town.. We are going with a Co-op fiber company for a full build out.. Work will start next spring.. Do let us know how you get on with your new R2.

Thanks

Zippy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/16/2020 at 9:09 AM, Zippy said:

Awesome! Good to hear you have a DOCSIS 3.1 modem.. That is key to have a low stable ping.. You should be golden having that. It really sounds like your setup well for the R2.. Im running the DOCSIS 3.1 SB8200. Been a solid performer.  Cable companies in general have been struggling with latency for a longtime. Until DOCSIS 3.1 came around. It has been a savior..  Centurylink is also in our area and could be another good choice.. But see how Spectrum runs for yah.. Centurylink can be hit and miss. But my friend has it and he seems to do well with it..

Thanks for the well wishes also. And we are working very hard to get fiber to home here in my town.. We are going with a Co-op fiber company for a full build out.. Work will start next spring.. Do let us know how you get on with your new R2.

Thanks

Zippy.

Eh, I moved to Wyoming so i sit between 30ms-40ms on game servers unfortunately. Except Apex Legends, they have servers EVERYWHERE lol. COD,Halo,Overwatch etc are all closer to 30-40 which still isn't bad though. I'm hoping with spectrum doing all their maintenance before our snow season that we'll end up with a lower ping if they end up running fiber closer and setting up a new hybrid node. However that's all wishful thinking at this point, but then again, I also worked on the data center Microsoft built last year that should go online soon.

As for the router I get it in today funny enough, it was supposed to come in tomorrow but it got here a day early so i'm pretty excited to play around with it and see what it can do. I'm currently trying to stay awake so i can sleep in through the day for my night shifts i'm on now, fun times! I hope that fiber co-op gets you hooked up sooner rather than later, fiber gaming is just the best man. Enough rambling from me, hope you're enjoying gamin on your R2 so far!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...