My experience with the R2.. (some issues)

johnnytran

Hello, I received my R2 earlier today and have it up & running finally! I'd just like to share my experience so far..

After connecting it to my PC and launching the startup wizard, it couldn't detect a connection (I don't know if that's normal) so I manually inputted my speed as 100/37 (I always hit these numbers on speedtest.net, my connection is 100/40 FTTP) - I hope that was right. A few steps later it asked me if I wanted to change the wifi password, which I did but it must have disconnected me from the wifi because it didn't proceed to the next step and my PC's connection was showing the R2 as "connecting" for a while until I forgot it & reconnected with the new password.

After getting into the GUI most of the Rapps wouldn't load, it kept saying something along the lines of "this rapp is not loaded yet, please try again". I tried closing my browser and reopening it but it didn't fix so I decided to reboot the R2. I don't know if I'm blind but I couldn't see a power button on the R2 to turn it off so i just unplugged it which was probably not ok. How would I normally power cycle it?

After the reboot, I couldn't connect to 192.168.77.1, the page just wouldn't load but jumping into chrome's incognito let me login. As I type this I still can't get in there, the tab says "Authenticate App" and continually loads blank. The only way is incognito. I've tried ticking the disable cache button and refreshing but it didn't fix.

Now onto the wifi issues.. I'm getting poor speeds even after updating to the firmware being posted around here. I'm connected to 5 GHz, in my settings I've selected channel 153 for it (my old router was on this channel) but my PC is saying the network channel it's connected to is 149? When I run a test on speedtest.net, I'm getting random results - anywhere from 60-85Mbps, this never happened with my old router (Asus RT-AC68U) I never saw results below 95Mbps. One test even showed my ping as 16ms, I've never seen the test show above 9ms! inSSIDer shows the wifi signal -60dBm, compared to Asus it was -50 & -43.

I tried the wifi sweetspots app on my iphone, I'm getting around 20Mbps sitting at my desktop whereas with the Asus I was getting around 90-100Mbps. There's 1 thin wall between me and the router which is about 5m away. Downloading a random file from a source I always max out my connection I'm now only getting 4-5MB/s max.

I've looked in congestion control, I tried both options but speeds haven't changed. At the moment the auto setup was set to prioritise bandwidth and it told me to run 100%/50% - I clicked save settings but both my sliders are still on 100%. Turning congestion control to never didn't change speeds, speedtest.net still maxing out around 80Mbps.

When I run connection benchmark, I'm hitting speeds I would normally see on speedtest.net and while downloading with my Asus router. I've attached a screenshot of that.

Adblocker is disabled. I haven't changed anything in WAN settings, it's DHCP and all the defaults are enabled. I have noticed when I un tick mirror settings on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz, disable the 2.4GHz and hit save, it doesn't save even after a reboot because it's back to mirror on both settings on when I log back in. I just tried to un tick "use upstream DNS" and selected DNS override 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4 but it made websites stop working. Switching back to upstream DNS didn't fix it, I had to reboot R2 then enable use upstream dns.

At the moment I'm not satisfied with the purchase :( This is my first Netduma so I'm still a noob with all these settings, any help at how any of this can be improved would be appreciated.

connectiobenchmark.JPG

• Administrators

Sometimes it can't always establish the connection that's fine, you can either enter manual settings then and there or later in the interface if needed. Otherwise after the setup wizard it should be established. As you changed the WiFi password then you would have needed to connect back using the new password. Would usually recommend doing the wizard when connected via ethernet. You're fine to unplug it to reboot it but probably best to reboot it from the interface. Clear the entire browser cookies/cache in the browser settings and try again, also disable any Adblockers you have enabled.

The auto setup not applying the settings is a bug in the hot fix firmware - will be fixed in a few days. What is your exact physical setup and what device/web browser are you using as some of these don't make too much sense. We'll have something within a few days to help with WiFi speeds as well.

Physical setup - router is connected to a NTD - not sure what model it is exactly but I have a fibre connection directly to it. R2 is connected to it via Ethernet. My PC is in another room so it’s connected via wifi. I was trying to keep the exact same setup as my other router to see how it compares but at the moment it is very inconsistent with the speeds.using chrome as my browser.

With the wifi speeds it seems as though I need a direct line of sight and to be close to the router to get fast speed. Atm the signal doesn’t penetrate the thin wall separating it and my PC like the Asus could despite having more antennas 

Also I think everything in the system logs has the wrong timestamp? I've selected the correct router time zone but for some reason next to the uptime it says 09:46 up 1:43 but the time is 19:46. The logs also reflect the 09:46. I'm guessing the 1:43 means 1hour 43min uptime.

Today when I switched routers the R2 wouldn't connect for quite some time. In the end I had to unplug it again and even then it took a while to register there's internet.

I couldn't access the GUI through a normal chrome window, i've attached what happens when i do. The tab just stays blank and loads forever, even after clearing the cache as per your instructions posted elsewhere. I could access it straight away in incognito mode though.

When I access connection benchmark none of my previous benchmarks from yesterday are save. This happened yesterday as well, maybe they get deleted when the router is switched off? defeats the whole purpose of having a history there though, a bug perhaps?

Also another thing i've noticed, I have set congestion control to always and both sliders are at 70%, running a benchmark still maxes out my 100/40 connection, do the sliders not affect the benchmark? I would have thought they would so you could adjust to see if your pings change?

Also just wondering if it's possible to limit 1 specific devices bandwidth e.g. my gf's phone to 5Mbps while the rest of the network has unlimited bandwidth? On my Asus I can do this.

loading.JPG

5 minutes ago, johnnytran said:

Also I think everything in the system logs has the wrong timestamp? I've selected the correct router time zone but for some reason next to the uptime it says 09:46 up 1:43 but the time is 19:46. The logs also reflect the 09:46. I'm guessing the 1:43 means 1hour 43min uptime.

I believe that the logs are currently unaffected by your time zone choice. The Time Zone option affects Ping Heatmap, Connection Benchmark, Adblocker and Traffic Controller. The logs are usually meant for developers to look at, so we set them to UTC. This means we know exactly when problems occurred, no matter which time zone they occurred in.

10 minutes ago, johnnytran said:

Today when I switched routers the R2 wouldn't connect for quite some time. In the end I had to unplug it again and even then it took a while to register there's internet.

I couldn't access the GUI through a normal chrome window, i've attached what happens when i do. The tab just stays blank and loads forever, even after clearing the cache as per your instructions posted elsewhere. I could access it straight away in incognito mode though.

Not sure why it took so long to connect to the internet, but it could have been that it spent a lot of time negotiating with whatever you've got upstream. I feel like this might be outside of our control but we will look into it. The Incognito thing is a caching issue, and may be a side effect of the fact you upgraded to hotfix firmware.

25 minutes ago, johnnytran said:

When I access connection benchmark none of my previous benchmarks from yesterday are save. This happened yesterday as well, maybe they get deleted when the router is switched off? defeats the whole purpose of having a history there though, a bug perhaps?

Unfortunately, at present, I believe that Connection Benchmark tests, Ping Heatmap pings and Adblocker History are all stored in RAM. This means that they are wiped when the router is restarted. We'll probably change how this works in future, but having them stored in RAM makes the router much less likely to crash over long term use. Perhaps a good solution in future would be to allow tests to be saved to a USB stick? Anyway we'll keep this in mind, thanks for the feedback!

27 minutes ago, johnnytran said:

Also another thing i've noticed, I have set congestion control to always and both sliders are at 70%, running a benchmark still maxes out my 100/40 connection, do the sliders not affect the benchmark? I would have thought they would so you could adjust to see if your pings change?

Have you set your maximum bandwidth correctly? You can do this by opening the Congestion Control side menu and using the AUTO DETECT option.

The benchmark should now show your actual speeds (ignoring QoS) next to the speeds that you've set in Congestion Control.

Congestion Control WILL be taken into account for the Ping Test (Under Load) graph. You should expect (if it's all set up correctly) that with QoS set to always and the sliders lowered, you will get a much flatter line on the Ping Test (Under Load) graph. You're aiming to get the flattest line possible. I'd suggest trying out the Auto-Setup feature in Congestion Control to get the best results from this feature.

I wrote a detailed explanation of the feature here: 

35 minutes ago, Netduma Alex said:

Have you set your maximum bandwidth correctly? You can do this by opening the Congestion Control side menu and using the AUTO DETECT option.

The benchmark should now show your actual speeds (ignoring QoS) next to the speeds that you've set in Congestion Control.

Congestion Control WILL be taken into account for the Ping Test (Under Load) graph. You should expect (if it's all set up correctly) that with QoS set to always and the sliders lowered, you will get a much flatter line on the Ping Test (Under Load) graph. You're aiming to get the flattest line possible. I'd suggest trying out the Auto-Setup feature in Congestion Control to get the best results from this feature.

I wrote a detailed explanation of the feature here: 

Thank you for your responses. Yes I have set it correctly, I set it to auto detect and i've ran the auto setup for congestion control and it always recommends my download to be 100% but the upload is usually around 50%. I'm not sure how it thinks having my download at 100% doesn't affect ping when I can download something manually and run a ping test through command prompt and see the ping spikes. Or is this not meant to affect that?

Interesting post I had a quick skim through but will read it properly later, I do believe I have the traffic prioritisation setup correctly with duma classified games selected and my ps4 as games console. Both lights turn on when I turn my ps4 on to play MW.

You might have missed my other question cause it was a late edit, is there a way to limit the bandwidth specific devices on the network can use? e.g. I want to limit a phone to 5Mbps but have every other device using the internet get full bandwidth? Thanks

Edited by johnnytran
deleted the thing about polygon mode, it was selected off

• Administrators
1 hour ago, johnnytran said:

Thank you for your responses. Yes I have set it correctly, I set it to auto detect and i've ran the auto setup for congestion control and it always recommends my download to be 100% but the upload is usually around 50%. I'm not sure how it thinks having my download at 100% doesn't affect ping when I can download something manually and run a ping test through command prompt and see the ping spikes. Or is this not meant to affect that?

Interesting post I had a quick skim through but will read it properly later, I do believe I have the traffic prioritisation setup correctly with duma classified games selected and my ps4 as games console. Both lights turn on when I turn my ps4 on to play MW.

You might have missed my other question cause it was a late edit, is there a way to limit the bandwidth specific devices on the network can use? e.g. I want to limit a phone to 5Mbps but have every other device using the internet get full bandwidth? Thanks

It's likely that at the time it didn't think limiting it was necessary, it is only a suggestion and something we need to keep improving upon so would suggest you find a manual percentage that works best for you to get ping under load down. That's great, sounds like it is working! It's been suggested before but that's not yet currently available, I will suggest it to the team again though.

Ok last night while playing MW and having the geo-filter open i got the error in the GUI saying you are no longer connected to your router blablabla (i'll attach a screenshot) i was still able to play cod but had to close the GUI and reopen it. I will attach this log file as 1.txt, it happened around 12:40 in the timestamp.

This morning while working from home I got disconnected from my remote session, lost all connectivity to the internet but I was still connected to the router cause i had the GUI open. Apparently the up time was only 11 but I had the router on all night so it could have been losing connectivity over night. I'll attach the log file as 2.txt and 3.txt because i noticed some more info appearing in there after saving 2.txt

I've switched over to my old Asus and i'm maxing out my 100/40 on speedtests and downloads. To tell you how stable this is, I've owned it for years and it's never dropped connectivity - I've seen uptime hours in the log of 100+ days , it would probably stay on connected all year if i left it on.

disconnected.JPG

1.txt 2.txt 3.txt

edit - Another loss of connection, noticed it while have the geo-filter up about to have a game. Got the same error as above saying i'm not connected, but my phone was despite my PC losing connection to same 5GHz. I've attached the file as 4.txt, crash happened around 09:01 in the log file.

4.txt

Edited by johnnytran
adding another log file

• Administrators
12 hours ago, johnnytran said:

Ok last night while playing MW and having the geo-filter open i got the error in the GUI saying you are no longer connected to your router blablabla (i'll attach a screenshot) i was still able to play cod but had to close the GUI and reopen it. I will attach this log file as 1.txt, it happened around 12:40 in the timestamp.

This morning while working from home I got disconnected from my remote session, lost all connectivity to the internet but I was still connected to the router cause i had the GUI open. Apparently the up time was only 11 but I had the router on all night so it could have been losing connectivity over night. I'll attach the log file as 2.txt and 3.txt because i noticed some more info appearing in there after saving 2.txt

I've switched over to my old Asus and i'm maxing out my 100/40 on speedtests and downloads. To tell you how stable this is, I've owned it for years and it's never dropped connectivity - I've seen uptime hours in the log of 100+ days , it would probably stay on connected all year if i left it on.

disconnected.JPG

1.txt 71.21 kB · 1 download 2.txt 72.65 kB · 0 downloads 3.txt 72.73 kB · 1 download

edit - Another loss of connection, noticed it while have the geo-filter up about to have a game. Got the same error as above saying i'm not connected, but my phone was despite my PC losing connection to same 5GHz. I've attached the file as 4.txt, crash happened around 09:01 in the log file.

4.txt 71.52 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks Johnny for the information. I know the devs are with you on a WiFi issue at the moment, so hopefully they'll see this at the time and can take a look. Otherwise I'd suggest doing a factory reset via the interface and then in DHCP settings set the lease time hours to 168 and see if that helps.

There might be a bug with the geo-filter & traffic prioritisation. I had my PS4 added as a games console to both and it was working yesterday but today it was removed from both. I added it manually to both but nothing was popping up on the geo filter when i'd search for games and the games console light wasn't on the traffic prio, only duma classified games worked. Had to reboot and it all worked fine.

I only game on PS4, should i disabled duma classified games and onl have ps4 selected?

Also, I've noticed the below error in has started appearing in event viewer since usng the R2. Could it be related to the random disconnects I keep experiencing on my PC?

----------------

The system failed to register network adapter with settings:

Adapter Name : {E957B473-7350-4DB5-9A05-293883AD66F4}
           Host Name : DESKTOP-NULEUF2
           Adapter-specific Domain Suffix : lan
           DNS server list :
           Sent update to server : <?>
           IP Address(es) :

The cause of this DNS registration failure was because of DNS server failure. This may be due to a zone transfer that has locked the DNS server for the applicable zone that your computer needs to register itself with.

(The applicable zone should typically correspond to the Adapter-specific Domain Suffix that was indicated above.) You can manually retry registration of the network adapter and its settings by typing 'ipconfig /registerdns' at the command prompt. If problems still persist, contact your network systems administrator to verify network conditions.

-------------

Edited by johnnytran
adding another quesrion

• Administrators

Had the PS4 been disconnected or connected via a different method e.g. was connected to ethernet and now WiFi? You can choose to use either if that is the only gaming device you use. Have you still got remote logging enabled? If not please go back and enable it, reboot and then let us know when you get a disconnection. Set a reserved IP for your PC in DHCP and also change the DNS to use 1.1.1.1 & 1.0.0.1 in WAN Settings.

28 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Had the PS4 been disconnected or connected via a different method e.g. was connected to ethernet and now WiFi? You can choose to use either if that is the only gaming device you use. Have you still got remote logging enabled? If not please go back and enable it, reboot and then let us know when you get a disconnection. Set a reserved IP for your PC in DHCP and also change the DNS to use 1.1.1.1 & 1.0.0.1 in WAN Settings.

It was originally connected via ethernet but i switched to wifi to see how the speeds are then back to ethernet. I think the geo filter was still working after that, it was just the next morning it had the device removed from there and traffic prio.

Not sure what you mean by remote logging? if you're referring to the allow tech support to reote then yes it's still on.  I've already assigned the PC  static IP but still get disconnected randomly. It actually just happened as I'm typing this, I've attached the log file. Will change the DNS settings now thanks!

log-1597583343432.txt

Oh forgot to mention when my PC dropped connection i checked the available wifi networks to reconnect and the 5g it dropped was missing, i could only see the 2g

Edited by johnnytran
adding moe info

Here's the log file of this morning's disconnect. I've also PM'd you a screenshot of those settings

log-1597619777603.txt

log-1597623928762_2nd.txt

I was monitoring the system log and have copied the bit of exactly when I lost connection to my work while i was working remotely. I'm going to have to use my old router until this gets sorted out cause it's pain. My work session was also slowing to a crawl while my partner was watching a youtube video on the tv which is also connected via 5g.

Mon Aug 17 15:05:00 2020 cron.err crond[1277]: USER root pid 27126 cmd echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
Mon Aug 17 15:05:00 2020 kern.info kernel: [52754.753216] ash (27126): drop_caches: 3
Mon Aug 17 15:05:20 2020 daemon.notice hostapd: wlan1: AP-STA-DISCONNECTED 7c:67:a2:c2:74:9b
Mon Aug 17 15:05:20 2020 daemon.debug hostapd: wlan1: STA 7c:67:a2:c2:74:9b IEEE 802.11: authentication OK (open system)
Mon Aug 17 15:05:20 2020 daemon.debug hostapd: wlan1: STA 7c:67:a2:c2:74:9b WPA: event 0 notification
Mon Aug 17 15:05:20 2020 daemon.debug hostapd: wlan1: STA 7c:67:a2:c2:74:9b MLME: MLME-AUTHENTICATE.indication(7c:67:a2:c2:74:9b, OPEN_SYSTEM)
Mon Aug 17 15:05:20 2020 daemon.debug hostapd: wlan1: STA 7c:67:a2:c2:74:9b MLME: MLME-DELETEKEYS.request(7c:67:a2:c2:74:9b)
Mon Aug 17 15:05:20 2020 daemon.info hostapd: wlan1: STA 7c:67:a2:c2:74:9b IEEE 802.11: authenticated
Mon Aug 17 15:05:20 2020 daemon.debug hostapd: wlan1: STA 7c:67:a2:c2:74:9b IEEE 802.11: association OK (aid 2)
Mon Aug 17 15:05:20 2020 daemon.info hostapd: wlan1: STA 7c:67:a2:c2:74:9b IEEE 802.11: associated (aid 2)
Mon Aug 17 15:05:20 2020 daemon.debug hostapd: wlan1: STA 7c:67:a2:c2:74:9b MLME: MLME-ASSOCIATE.indication(7c:67:a2:c2:74:9b)
Mon Aug 17 15:05:20 2020 daemon.debug hostapd: wlan1: STA 7c:67:a2:c2:74:9b MLME: MLME-DELETEKEYS.request(7c:67:a2:c2:74:9b)
Mon Aug 17 15:05:20 2020 daemon.debug hostapd: wlan1: STA 7c:67:a2:c2:74:9b IEEE 802.11: binding station to interface 'wlan1'
Mon Aug 17 15:05:20 2020 daemon.debug hostapd: wlan1: STA 7c:67:a2:c2:74:9b WPA: event 1 notification
Mon Aug 17 15:05:20 2020 daemon.debug hostapd: wlan1: STA 7c:67:a2:c2:74:9b WPA: sending 1/4 msg of 4-Way Handshake
Mon Aug 17 15:05:20 2020 daemon.debug hostapd: wlan1: STA 7c:67:a2:c2:74:9b WPA: received EAPOL-Key frame (2/4 Pairwise)
Mon Aug 17 15:05:20 2020 daemon.debug hostapd: wlan1: STA 7c:67:a2:c2:74:9b WPA: sending 3/4 msg of 4-Way Handshake
Mon Aug 17 15:05:20 2020 daemon.debug hostapd: wlan1: STA 7c:67:a2:c2:74:9b WPA: received EAPOL-Key frame (4/4 Pairwise)
Mon Aug 17 15:05:20 2020 daemon.notice hostapd: wlan1: AP-STA-CONNECTED 7c:67:a2:c2:74:9b
Mon Aug 17 15:05:20 2020 daemon.debug hostapd: wlan1: STA 7c:67:a2:c2:74:9b IEEE 802.1X: authorizing port
Mon Aug 17 15:05:20 2020 daemon.info hostapd: wlan1: STA 7c:67:a2:c2:74:9b RADIUS: starting accounting session 843657D7887242F7
Mon Aug 17 15:05:20 2020 daemon.info hostapd: wlan1: STA 7c:67:a2:c2:74:9b WPA: pairwise key handshake completed (RSN)
Mon Aug 17 15:05:20 2020 daemon.info dnsmasq-dhcp[30910]: DHCPREQUEST(br-lan) 192.168.77.101 7c:67:a2:c2:74:9b
Mon Aug 17 15:05:20 2020 daemon.info dnsmasq-dhcp[30910]: DHCPACK(br-lan) 192.168.77.101 7c:67:a2:c2:74:9b DESKTOP-NULEUF2
Mon Aug 17 15:05:20 2020 user.info com.netdumasoftware.neighwatch: DHCP old event.
Mon Aug 17 15:05:20 2020 user.info com.netdumasoftware.neighwatch: DHCP lease change.
Mon Aug 17 15:05:51 2020 daemon.err odhcp6c[2764]: Failed to send DHCPV6 message to ff02::1:2 (Address not available)

• Administrators

Here's the log file of this morning's disconnect. I've also PM'd you a screenshot of those settings

Thanks a lot, really appreciate this. I've passed it all over to the developers to take a look.

Thanks. Also on the possible bug with my console being removed from QoS & the geo-filter, it happened again. It's been connected via ethernet and I haven't changed it to wireless at all.

I launched into the interface and got this error message "Uncaught ReferenceError: sampler_circular_array_create is not defined"

I then added my console manually to the traffic prio and geo-filter but the traffic prio light didn't come on while gaming, nor did the geo-filter work. So i decided to reboot and got the folloing error after reboot "Missing JSON response" - i saw someone else kept getting this error in another thread.

I've attached both log files, one being when i noticed my PS4 was removed from geo filter/traffic prio and the other is after seeing the missing json error. Hope it has some helpful info.

json.txt log-1597744563751.txt

• Administrators

Hey, I didn't take a screenshot of the JSON error but it appeared directly after the reboot finished & dumaos came online.

Here's the other error though, the JSON error looked exactly the same (..with different text)

https://imgur.com/a/6OVDg0N

Thank you very much, I've created an internal ticket for the issue and we'll get back to you if we have any questions.

Thank you. Also not sure if it's a known bug but the bandwidth allocation in QoS keeps resetting to default. I've tried dragging the things and also manually adjusting the Mbps for a device, it saves but next time I look it's reset to default. I've had the GUI open the entire time but have been stepping away from my desktop so I'm not sure whether it's resetting as the wifi drops/i lose connection to the interface or just randomly while i'm connected

• Administrators
58 minutes ago, johnnytran said:

Thank you. Also not sure if it's a known bug but the bandwidth allocation in QoS keeps resetting to default. I've tried dragging the things and also manually adjusting the Mbps for a device, it saves but next time I look it's reset to default. I've had the GUI open the entire time but have been stepping away from my desktop so I'm not sure whether it's resetting as the wifi drops/i lose connection to the interface or just randomly while i'm connected

Are you setting it on both devices and applications? As you can only use one of them at a time. It also might switch to the default view after refresh and not necessarily on the one you've changed, does that fit what you're seeing?

I would have thought whichever is selected would override the other? anyway, I think I was only changing the devices. I selected devices in the options and unticked both share excess boxes. I then selected the device, clicked download and adjusted the Mbps/% and hit save. I did the same process for upload as well. It did work at first but when I checked after an hour or so it was reset to default. I'm not sure whether I was looking at devices or applications but I clicked the other and it also had an even distribution. Would toggling between either reset the settings? After assigning bandwidth in devices I didn't change anything in applications.

This morning looking at the interface both devices and applications are reset back to an even distribution so I've manually done it as the same process above for devices. Will keep my eye on it and see if it resets at any point. I won't click on applications at all.

Not sure whether incognito mode would have anything to do with it? This morning I managed to get in through a regular chrome window, usually it's a never ending loading blank page

/edit

Update - nothing has changed since this morning so maybe yesterday I had clicked through applications and it reset it like you said. I'll keep my ee on it/make sure I don't press anything other than devices and see if it changes. cheers