XR450 woes (DHCP and WIFI connectivity)

After battling the dreaded DHCP lease issue (all my devices would periodically lose internet connection until the router was rebooted) I finally disabled the DHCP server on the router and set every device in my home with static settings (big pain in the rear).  I see mention of DumaOS 3 bios beta possibly fixing this.  I have signed up for the beta but after 3 weeks have not received any word.

Now I am having an issue where Wifi devices are unable to connect.  Just out of the blue the wifi status shows as connected, no internet.  When trying to disable and re-enable wifi on the device to reconnect, it shows a message that says checking network requirements and then a message that says unable to connect to network.  This is happening with multiple devices, too.  Any idea why this new issue is occuring? Any idea when I can try the new Beta firmware?  As it stands now, if these problems persist I will be looking to return this XR450.  It has given me more trouble than any other router I have ever used.  I am an IT professional that has been working in this field for over 20 years, so that is saying a lot.

20 years, why did you feel you needed a gaming router. They are all notorious and buggy across all manufacturers, it’s the nature of them. 
If you need a secure and steady access I would suggest Ubiquity or Ruckus if that’s a concern. You should be able to set up a Ruckus with relative ease with your 20 years behind you.

Do you play COD?

14 minutes ago, GlitterKill said:

Yes, I currently am playing CODMW. I am a lifelong gamer.  My kids play online games as well.

The trouble with the XR series is there is a mixture of old Netgear code mixed with Duma. There’s the R2 due out and some Asus gaming routers that look ok but if you want hassle free use then it might pay to look into other types.

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you're having these issues. It is a known issue with a Netgear dev confirming it will be in one of the next 3.0 builds so if you were to get the beta now it wouldn't necessarily resolve the issue right away. What is your Netgear community username? We'll try and get you bumped up the list. 

I'd recommend first of all to reinstall the firmware via TFTP which bypasses the normal boot processes so if there are any issues there they won't affect you. Then do a factory reset and hopefully it should be more stable after that. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

On 8/5/2020 at 11:34 AM, Newfie said:

The trouble with the XR series is there is a mixture of old Netgear code mixed with Duma. There’s the R2 due out and some Asus gaming routers that look ok but if you want hassle free use then it might pay to look into other types.

I have a plain jane TP-Link Archer 9 router arriving today to use until the stability of the XR450 improves.  My wife and I both work from home, plus my kids are doing school remotely.  I just need stability over everything else right now.  

On 8/5/2020 at 1:10 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you're having these issues. It is a known issue with a Netgear dev confirming it will be in one of the next 3.0 builds so if you were to get the beta now it wouldn't necessarily resolve the issue right away. What is your Netgear community username? We'll try and get you bumped up the list. 

I'd recommend first of all to reinstall the firmware via TFTP which bypasses the normal boot processes so if there are any issues there they won't affect you. Then do a factory reset and hopefully it should be more stable after that. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

My username on the Netgear community is the same as it is here.