XR500 | Poor Wifi performance

Hi Netduma Team, 

I have an ongoing issue with my Nighthawk XR500. I've had (mostly) trouble-free ownership with it aside from my router resetting itself to default on power loss a few times while working from home, but, now I'm seeing some drastically reduced wifi through-put that I can't seem to fix. In the last month or so I've reset it multiple times, flashed current and prior firmware, did every kind of hard reset possible and nothing is working. I'd like to point out, like a lot of folks here, I have a professional background in networking, currently a System Admin for a large Bank.

Netgear CM1000 modem working flawlessly - when I plan my work laptop directly to it, during non-peak neighborhood usage hours I average 900mb down. 

1000 down and 50 up (service tier)

Suddenlink ISP

This post is hot after doing a full reset + TFTP firmware flash. 

With QOS TOTALLY disabled, my WIFI Speeds on my Note 10/Pixel 4 XL/Work Laptop all average 100/53. I can immediately plug the cat6 to the modem and pull 600/53 on the work laptop. I've for the 3rd time in the last month set static IPs for all of my most important devices and this does not help (not to mention DHCP lease renews happen almost constantly even with Statics. There is no setting for this in the CM1000). 

So my question is two-fold, and I'm trying really hard not to lean into the vitriol around the forums here, why is this happening to a large amount of these fairly expensive routers and what troubleshooting steps can I take that I haven't already taken.

Screenshots attached in no particular order.

SmartSelect_20200727-203002_Chrome.jpg

SmartSelect_20200727-203031_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200727-203304_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200727-203428_Nighthawk.png

Screenshot_20200727-203621_Speedtest.png

Screenshot_20200727-202843_Chrome.jpg

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Firstly, thank you for the screenshots and the troubleshooting you have already done, greatly appreciate you sharing as it really helps us suggesting alternatives.

Ok so you've done a firmware reset (is this NETGEAR's firmware?) and you have also disabled QoS, which does work for some people.

So my first question is, are you using Smart Connect? If so I would recommend disabling that and connecting to 5GHz manually and trying another test.

Another option worth trying is going into each device's WiFi settings and scan for available routers (SSiDs). Under the XR500 - click on it and tell it to "Forget the Device" so it will clear any memory of the router from your device's memory.

Try these options and let us know how you get on, thank you.

Steve

28 minutes ago, Netduma Steve said:

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Firstly, thank you for the screenshots and the troubleshooting you have already done, greatly appreciate you sharing as it really helps us suggesting alternatives.

Ok so you've done a firmware reset (is this NETGEAR's firmware?) and you have also disabled QoS, which does work for some people.

So my first question is, are you using Smart Connect? If so I would recommend disabling that and connecting to 5GHz manually and trying another test.

Another option worth trying is going into each device's WiFi settings and scan for available routers (SSiDs). Under the XR500 - click on it and tell it to "Forget the Device" so it will clear any memory of the router from your device's memory.

Try these options and let us know how you get on, thank you.

Steve

Hi Steve, 

All of the attached above screenshots are post TFTP firmware flash, to answer your question, yes it's netgear firmware taken directly from their XR500 downloads page. In the third screenshot above, you can also see that smart connect is indeed disabled. 

""Another option worth trying is going into each device's WiFi settings and scan for available routers (SSiDs). Under the XR500 - click on it and tell it to "Forget the Device" so it will clear any memory of the router from your device's memory.""

This was basically accomplished when I reset the entire router. Any other ideas? 

Have you tried changing channels? 

Also. You have 9ms ping when you perform the test from your laptop but 43ms ping when you test from your phone. That should not be happening, or you have selected a very far away server. This has a huge impact on the results sometimes. So make sure you select the closest server in the test :) 

25 minutes ago, Bert said:

Have you tried changing channels? 

Also. You have 9ms ping when you perform the test from your laptop but 43ms ping when you test from your phone. That should not be happening, or you have selected a very far away server. This has a huge impact on the results sometimes. So make sure you select the closest server in the test :) 

Hi Bert, 

The Screenshot that shows 648 down is a speed test taken from the router to the server using the nighthawk app, there is no way to adjust which server this connects to. The speed test from my phone using the speed test app was set to connect to the default server, I didn't change anything. 43ms of Ping is fairly low anyways and definitely not enough to butcher 650mb all the way down to 10/5 on 3 separate wifi devices. 

Why did you TFTP the router, was it corrupted before hand?

turn off Bufferbloat control and test. 
You need to check if the connection rates internally are ok as if you have a WiFi fault it will show up. Use WIFi Sweetspots and test the internal rates. 
also make sure that the 5ghz channels is not dropping as I had that on mine. That will create poor performance. 
Now if for example you added another firmware using TFTP and then tried to reinstall the Duma you may have accidentally damaged the router. TFTP is last resort on a router you lose control off ie corrupted. a factory reset using the rear pin hole is normally sufficient in most cases.

1 hour ago, Newfie said:

Why did you TFTP the router, was it corrupted before hand?

turn off Bufferbloat control and test. 
You need to check if the connection rates internally are ok as if you have a WiFi fault it will show up. Use WIFi Sweetspots and test the internal rates. 
also make sure that the 5ghz channels is not dropping as I had that on mine. That will create poor performance. 
Now if for example you added another firmware using TFTP and then tried to reinstall the Duma you may have accidentally damaged the router. TFTP is last resort on a router you lose control off ie corrupted. a factory reset using the rear pin hole is normally sufficient in most cases.

Hey Newfie,

the router has been working without issue until recently when these wifi speed issues started occuring. After 3 separate resets using the reset button on the back, assigning 20+ static IP's 3 times, I decided to try the TFTP method. This method does not seem any more intensive than a normal reset since all you're doing is pushing a file through the network instead of doing it through the GUI or having the router request the update, but at this point the routers wifi is passable at best and worst case scenario I have to buy a new router.  I tried disabling and testing with ABB off, there's just not a screenshot of it, not to mention it's almost always set at 50% to allow other devices to have more than 30% bandwidth. With QOS Disabled, ABB Off, the result is the same though. The 5ghz wifi IS dropping and my google nest hub on my bedside table loses connection often, changing the home screen to a warning page about no connection. I have changed the channel for the 5ghz just for giggles prior to this last reset but with only 2  other 5ghz ssids in range, I don't think it's an interference issue and IIRC both of my neighbors 5ghz and my 5ghz were all 3 on different channels to begin with. 

I have not flashed DDWRT if that's what you're asking. I replied above stating that the firmware was downloaded directly from Netgears XR500 support page.  I do have a R8000 that is flashed with DDWRT and is being used as a closed network for other work related things. 

Hope this sheds some light. 

Edit: also want to point out that at no time, have I restored a configuration file/backup. These are all resets followed by full setups.

If it’s dropping it’s pointing to a hardware issue. I had this on my 2.4 channel where I monitored the output and saw it drop. I was still in warranty so was solved with a free exchange.

12 minutes ago, Newfie said:

If it’s dropping it’s pointing to a hardware issue. I had this on my 2.4 channel where I monitored the output and saw it drop. I was still in warranty so was solved with a free exchange.

I can see this being hardware related, unfortunate as that may be. I'm glad you were able to receive a warrantied replacement, however mine is no longer in warranty and if that's what this comes to, my replacing the router, I'll be picking up a ACGT5300 instead. I absolutely hate being that cliche, but with as many problems as I've seen this router be plagued by, I'm surprised that Netgear isn't offering an extended warranty for these. Getting one year of life from a router I paid a not insignificant amount of money for is kinda silly. Guess this is a dead end, may as well close/lock this. Appreciate the help. 

• Administrators

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. I realize this won't help for 5GHz but disable Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence and see if that improves your 2.4GHz speeds. Could you also please provide a screenshot of the Advanced WiFi Settings page?

1 hour ago, Arreats_Might said:

I can see this being hardware related, unfortunate as that may be. I'm glad you were able to receive a warrantied replacement, however mine is no longer in warranty and if that's what this comes to, my replacing the router, I'll be picking up a ACGT5300 instead. I absolutely hate being that cliche, but with as many problems as I've seen this router be plagued by, I'm surprised that Netgear isn't offering an extended warranty for these. Getting one year of life from a router I paid a not insignificant amount of money for is kinda silly. Guess this is a dead end, may as well close/lock this. Appreciate the help. 

Double check as I got 2 years but am U.K. log in to your Netgear account and check if it’s got any support still under warranty. Mine was a month from being 2 years old. Worth a double check.

51 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. I realize this won't help for 5GHz but disable Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence and see if that improves your 2.4GHz speeds. Could you also please provide a screenshot of the Advanced WiFi Settings page?

Hey Fraser,

I'll post the screenshot as soon as I'm off work, I never bothered to set up the remote access again resetting. 2.4ghz is basically a compatibility feature in todays world and I have probably less than 5 devices that don't support 5ghz. Oddly enough the 2.4ghz performs better than the 5ghz even whilst standing next to the xr500, however using the 2.4ghz exclusively is .. Less than ideal.

26 minutes ago, Newfie said:

Double check as I got 2 years but am U.K. log in to your Netgear account and check if it’s got any support still under warranty. Mine was a month from being 2 years old. Worth a double check.

It appears that netgears router warranty is 1 year and registering it will require POP which I no longer have. I've also had the router for longer than a year unfortunately.

• Administrators

That all appears to be fine, thank you for the screenshot. Could you go to routerlogin.net/debug.htm and toggle 11k please, then just reboot to make sure it applies properly and see if your WiFi performance has increased?

Soon as I get home from work I'll make the adjustment and report back. Last night I spent a good 2 hours changing settings that R7800 owners had reported working for them, unfortunately nothing really worked. Starting to think this is indeed a hardware issue. 

• Administrators

I'm sure it is resolveable we just need to find what it could be. Just a couple of other things, I know you're in the biz but have to ask:

Is there any metal close to the router e.g. it's on a metal shelf
Is the router enclosed in a cupboard for example?
Are the antennae in optimal positions for coverage?
Are there any wireless devices within 3 feet of the router, e.g. wireless headphones etc.

20200729_150624.thumb.jpg.efad2f381bfbf5b9dad5b59ea27a375a.jpg

17 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I'm sure it is resolveable we just need to find what it could be. Just a couple of other things, I know you're in the biz but have to ask:

Is there any metal close to the router e.g. it's on a metal shelf
Is the router enclosed in a cupboard for example?
Are the antennae in optimal positions for coverage?
Are there any wireless devices within 3 feet of the router, e.g. wireless headphones etc.

The router sits on top of a glass entertainment center, to its right is my Astro A50 Wireless headset transmitter, and to its left is my Logitech Harmony hub, but the 3 devices have been beside each other for as long as i've had the router and has never caused issues. IIRC both are 2.4ghz. This has all started happening within the last month or so once I power cycled everything after adding in the cm1000. 

• Administrators

Interesting thank you. Could you just try a few things, first disable 2.4GHz completely in Advanced WiFi Settings and see if that has a knock on affect that improves 5GHz. Also enable the guest network and see if it's improved using that instead.

39 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Interesting thank you. Could you just try a few things, first disable 2.4GHz completely in Advanced WiFi Settings and see if that has a knock on affect that improves 5GHz. Also, enable the guest network and see if it's improved using that in

Disabled 11k and this is the result. It's peak network usage time in the neigborhood atm so running at half speed but still. Gonna turn 11k back on and try the other methods you provided.

Screenshot_20200729-183338_Nighthawk.png

Screenshot_20200729-183156_Speedtest.png

Screenshot_20200729-183242_Speedtest.png

This test is taken while using the 5ghz guest network. Interestingly, the time difference between this and my last post was spent trying to get the 5ghz guest to even show up. I had to enable it multiple times before it even began broadcasting the ssid

Screenshot_20200729-193725_Speedtest.png

It’s hardware, if a channel is not showing and you to attempt several times it’s pointing at hardware.

you should never need to go into the debug section to solves problems and 11k is roaming and that’s not your issue. 

I would think about replacing the router with either the same or moving forward to latest spec.

Guest Killhippie
On 7/28/2020 at 4:40 PM, Arreats_Might said:

I have to say it does sound like a hardware issue. Warranty varies by country in the UK it was two years, not that we received many bug fixes in that time, its all hinging on 3.0 fixing every issue now. Good luck with the ACGT5300 if you go down that path. Asus are kicking out some great gaming routers these days, including Wi-Fi 6 ones like the RT-AX86U