XR500 disconnecting in AP mode

Ive always had a 2nd router in AP mode, it was an ASUS...that died ( I Think) and I ended up buying a XR700. I took my old XR500 and made that a AP now. MY son as the AP router in his room that he plays xbox and all his wifi stuff on. Its been running fine until yesterday and all of a sudden its disconnecting and rebooting (lights and all are turning off then just sits there with the red power light while my son is playing on his xbox.. It never even boots back up. It reboots about every other game. Ive tried resetting everything, unplugged it from the extender and plugged it straight into a wall. I'm about to just run his xbox stright off my XR700 to make sure ifs the XR500. IF it is...any ideas why its doing this? Thanks.

• David824 changed the title to XR500 disconnecting in AP mode

Honestly I don't have much experience running the XR500 in AP mode, and it's not something that we test extensively at Netduma because it's a feature that Netgear adds and manages.

My primary suggestions would be to make sure it's on the latest firmware, and perform a factory reset to remove any legacy issues.

factory resetting will take it out of AP mode correct?...so I would have to set it back up as a main router and then AP mode it?

+

yes, I have it wired with a new cat 8 cable. The cable is about 30 ft but its going under my house so its really only like 10 ft in another room. I disconnected his xbox from the xr500 and connected it to my xr700 last night and he didnt get disconnected once. Im stumped.

Edited by Netduma Fraser
Added information from Netgear duplicate topic

Ok so I did a factory reset on it and put it back online and for like an hour it worked fine. Now which is about the same time as last night its kicking off like every other game in COS. My XR700 isnt having any problems. Do you think there is something with the DHCP? I went in and did a IP reserve just to see if that might help. Not sure if I should change it from dynamic to static like wht Ive read with the XR500s disconnecting. IF I do that do I have to IP reserve EVERY device I have on my router?

• Administrators

After the reset did you switch it back to AP mode or leave it in router mode? DHCP shouldn't be a problem in AP mode as the devices get their IPs from the XR700. If you changed the WAN to static you wouldn't need to do anything to the LAN IPs. You could try it in router mode instead with the change you've made and see if that matters.

After the reset I put it back in AP.  And giving it a IP address didn't do anything its still booting. Is there a way to leave it in router mode without having it in AP mode? I'll be honest I've never ran two routers like that...is there anything special I need to do to the xr500 (router that gets put in AP)? I wasn't sure if having 2 routers I'm router mode would cause his Xbox to get like double nats or anything. 

Sad to say....it did not work...unless I missed a step. I put the xr500 back in router mode the put it online and got the WAN IP and put it in the DMZ on my XR700.....rebooted everything even my att modem...and everything came back up and the XR500 would not come online. The internet light wouldnt even light up. I tried another method I found online where I changed one number from the Main routers IP and that put me online but I was having to sign into xbox live each time I logged on to a game which never happens. I was also moderate on all my NATs ...so I gave up...tried putting it back in AP mode one more time and within 30 mins the xbox was kicked offline again. So I give up...I guess I'll just have the XR500 laying around until my XR700 goes bad. Thanks for the help though.

No...Ive had this for well over a year and a half now. I signed up for the beta of 3.0 but guess I've havent got my number drawn yet. Hopefully it will help.

On 7/9/2020 at 5:41 AM, Netduma Alex said:

Ok I've put you on the priority list, I'm sending the list to Netgear today.

Thanks a lot Alex!...by chance you wouldnt be able to find out which email you are having netgear send it to? or would you know?....I think through you guys its my older email...when I signed up for the beta it was under my Gmail.

• Administrators
9 hours ago, David824 said:

Thanks a lot Alex!...by chance you wouldnt be able to find out which email you are having netgear send it to? or would you know?....I think through you guys its my older email...when I signed up for the beta it was under my Gmail.

I'll ask Alex to double check but he probably used your forum email.

• 2 weeks later...

Fraser,

Since you guys helped me so much on trying to figure out what was going on with my xr500, thought I would let you guys know...it was something to do with my ATT fiber and putting it in AP mode. I called and got another company that I use to use to turn on a high speed line for me and I connect all my sons stuff to that line and used my own modem and the xr500 and then kept all my stuff on ATT....so 2 completely different lines coming into my house and both routers have been working fine all day. So I was able to narrow it down to ATT must have done some kind of modem upgrade/update or something to make it all of a sudden kick offline. Thought  I would let you guys know...everything is back and up and running with no problems!

Side note....do you guys know about how long netgear is taking to put out the 3.0? I know you said you had Alex tell them to put me on the priority list but I havent heard anything from them. I use my [email protected] on here...and when I signed up for the beta I used [email protected] sure if they take forever.

Again...thank you guys so much for your fast replies back trying to help me!

• Administrators

Thanks so much for coming back and providing an update, really happy you found the cause and it is all working properly now. I will ask Alex again if he can double check the list as he may have used your email on here. You're welcome!