2.4 ghz WIFI not visible

I've since swapping over to this router, not been able to get all my devices connected to the router's wifi network, thus I've needed to setup an older router in as an access point to support 2.4n.

While the above solution did work... it feels like I'm just avoiding the problem. as per what I understand in the Netgear Nighthawk specs, the XR500 should support IEEE® 802.11 b/g/n 2.4GHz.

I have an additional PC with a little budget adapter + about 7 (new; not installed) smart devices that will all need access to my home network via 2.4 n.
I have been running the router with the wireless Smart Connect Enabled (which per my understanding will swap between 2.4 & 5 ad hoc)... so I'm not sure if that is the issue. 
I did a quick test by enabling the Guest 2.4 only... and that also didn't show up.

I initially discovered this during my initial switch over, and the budget adapter did not want to connect, I then, not wanting to struggle with connecting the light switches, when the electrician comes to do the electrical installs this Friday, setup the bridge as a quick fix in the interim...

Then during my initial R&D, I saw a few random tech spec posts online where they say the XR500 only supports 802.11ac, but then in the official docs & software its specified as supporting a broader range.

I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with this type of setup before, as I'm a little confused as to how to get these devices to see the 2.4 network (if it is at all supported)?

Can you not see the 2.4 on a WiFi analyser like WiFi explorer. Check 2.4 is on and broadcasting and if you can’t see the channel then it’s dead as that’s how mine went.   

• Administrators

Hi - the XR500 definitely has 2.4GHz. This is NETGEAR's side of things so not sure how much we'll be able to help, but definitely try toggling off Smart Connect. That should then split the WiFi into two clear bands. See if that works.

Guest Killhippie
1 hour ago, el1t3st said:

I've since swapping over to this router, not been able to get all my devices connected to the router's wifi network, thus I've needed to setup an older router in as an access point to support 2.4n.

While the above solution did work... it feels like I'm just avoiding the problem. as per what I understand in the Netgear Nighthawk specs, the XR500 should support IEEE® 802.11 b/g/n 2.4GHz.

I have an additional PC with a little budget adapter + about 7 (new; not installed) smart devices that will all need access to my home network via 2.4 n.
I have been running the router with the wireless Smart Connect Enabled (which per my understanding will swap between 2.4 & 5 ad hoc)... so I'm not sure if that is the issue. 
I did a quick test by enabling the Guest 2.4 only... and that also didn't show up.

I initially discovered this during my initial switch over, and the budget adapter did not want to connect, I then, not wanting to struggle with connecting the light switches, when the electrician comes to do the electrical installs this Friday, setup the bridge as a quick fix in the interim...

Then during my initial R&D, I saw a few random tech spec posts online where they say the XR500 only supports 802.11ac, but then in the official docs & software its specified as supporting a broader range.

I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with this type of setup before, as I'm a little confused as to how to get these devices to see the 2.4 network (if it is at all supported)?

XR500 supports support 802.11 b/g/n/ac 2.4GHz. Sounds like you have a dead radio tbh, especially if the guest network isn't working. Best to RMA it via Netgear possibly. Have you tried a factory reset as a last resort and followed admins suggestion to divide the channels to confirm no 2.4Ghz visibility.?

45 minutes ago, Newfie said:

Can you not see the 2.4 on a WiFi analyser like WiFi explorer. Check 2.4 is on and broadcasting and if you can’t see the channel then it’s dead as that’s how mine went.   

Ok wow! I did not know about that tool. My network seems fine... I think I'm going to investigate a bit further... as it seems like the issue might be with the receiver then. I'll (once the work day is over), test when I split the SSID's of the 2 XR500 WIFI networks. 

2020-06-30 at 15.39.png

Guest Killhippie

Probably not helping you have two lots of 2Ghz running at the same time, one on the XR and one on the Trendnet. Have they both got the same SSID and password?

6 minutes ago, Killhippie said:

Probably not helping you have two lots of 2Ghz running at the same time, one on the XR and one on the Trendnet. Have they both got the same SSID and password?

Yes. They have the same SSID... I did that on purpose (I do realize the implications of it... I assumed devices might somehow prefer it over the XR500)... but even switching off the Trendnet access point completely, the Astrum receiver does not pick up the XR500's 2.4 network. It only likes/sees the Trendnet's 2.4 when its running... so bizzare. 😕

Again thank you... I think the wifi explorer tool will be able to help me debug a lot

58 minutes ago, Killhippie said:

WOOHOO! Thank you. Im not sure why / the technical details of this... But I noticed on WIFI explorer my 2.4 was on a heavy congested channel in my area... when I adjusted it to something less polluted, the 2.4ghz receiver picked up the XR500.

My second theory is that the XR500 somehow only broadcasted the 2.4ghz @ 40mhz due to the pollution in the 20mhz range on the previous channel. (don't know if the router would do that automagically)... But I just did a spot check, and the Astrum receiver cant see other 40Mhz 2.4 networks... but it DOES see 20mhz networks.

Again, I cant confirm if that was the exact problem... but I'll call it a day & say its good enough for now... at least I can pack the old access point away.

2020-06-30 at 16.47.png