Netduma R1 Internet Speed Issues

TheEnic

Hey there, i just received my Netduma R1 yesterday. I've completed each and every feature setup as well. But, the main problem I am facing right now is the speed issues. I got a 100 mbps up and down connection and at night the speed gets double to 200 mbps up and down. Currently while using this router I am getting around 30-40 down and 30 up and on PlayStation network it is up to 7-8 mbps down and 2-3 mbps up (also using Google dns to achieve this without Dns it is 3-4 down and 1 up). 

I even test it without the Netduma R1 and the connection is giving 100 down and 100 up (back to my original).

P.S: I ordered this Router 50 days ago and the cost with taxes of my country it is around $700 USD. I'm really disappointed the way it is doing right now.
P.S.S: I play Call of duty Modern Warfare online and bought this to reduce my ping and internet on PlayStation network.

Looking forward to your reply.

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

I assume you have put your expected bandwidth speeds in the Anti-Bufferbloat menu? Are you using QoS at all? - If so that will lower speeds in order to eliminate lag. Are you doing wired speed tests? What is your exact physical setup?

I disabled the QOS features already. And I'm doing wired speed tests. I've a 100 down and 100 up connection. Connected Netduma with my ISP (as my ISP modem don't have a built in Wifi) and then via Netduma I'm testing wired connections.

1 hour ago, Bert said:

Are you using PPPoE mode?

R1 doesn't work well with that. When I use that it maxes at 25mbit with DumaOS and 50mbit with the old FW.

Yes I'm using it with PPPoE mode. Is there any solution?

No.

The only solution is get your ISP's router in front of it. Have that handle PPPoE. And then connect the R1 to that and put it in your ISP's router DMZ, or forward all the ports.

For PPPoE you need a XR series ideally.

1 hour ago, Bert said:

No.

The only solution is get your ISP's router in front of it. Have that handle PPPoE. And then connect the R1 to that and put it in your ISP's router DMZ, or forward all the ports.

For PPPoE you need a XR series ideally.

Do you think the XR series will help me? Because there is no other way.

And what if i use a Router and set up the PPPoE in it and then connect the Netduma to that router? Will this help?

Yes that's what I mean with the last.

Modem -> ISP router (handles PPPoE) -> R1 (In DMZ of ISP router, R1 set in DHCP mode) -> devices

That will give you full bandwidth.

If you have the choice though I would go with a XR series. Since the wifi etc is all much faster than the R1's. I am in the same boat as you and it's the reason I swapped my R1 for a XR500. Next to that, if you ever want to exceed 400mbit of bandwidt, R1's QoS will max out at that so at this point I would not buy a R1 anymore.

One member here has recently stated that they are getting full gigabit speeds with the XR450. Even if this may be true. I haven't heard of any others mentioning getting that high of a bandwidth. BUT, what that the XR450 does have is the that extra ceiling of bandwidth over the R1, as Bert mentioned. Slightly, but it is there if you're interested.

• Administrators

Bert has given you great advice on how to workaround these and receive closer to your speeds with PPPoE. Also just to be sure make sure you've disabled QoS completely in the Anti-Bufferbloat options menu as that should boost your speeds.