VPN and ethernet switches

akadoublea

I have an xr500. I'm looking at running at least 6 ps4's on a VPN with the possibility of adding another 6.   Only 6 need to be on the VPN but, all 12 need to be hardwired.  I was wondering if I could just buy something like a 20 port switch and have that on the VPN and geo-filter and whatever is connected to the switch would be connected to the VPN and geo-filter?  Is this how it would work?  Seems too easy imo.  

You can't have 12 devices on geofilter, max 4.

You can add 12 devices to VPN though I think. But not by adding the switch, you need to assign them separately.

Using the switch you could apply VPN to all 12 devices, although as @Bert says there is currently a limit of 4 devices in Geo-Filter...

Another idea might be to connect the PS4's to another router underneath the XR500, or an access point. This would then appear as just one device on the XR500 and could all be Geo-Filtered as one device.

Hey guys! I'm struggling to find what I need. Any suggestions?  Either more Netgear products or competitors.  From what I'm reading, I'll have to use one of the LAN ports on the secondary router to connect to the XR500? That only leaves me with 5 available ports on the second router. I need 6 lol. 

• Administrators

Buy a managed 20 port switch - managed is the important part there because the XR will then give that switch one IP address. So it sees it as one device instead of 12 individual devices. Put the Switch behind the VPN and on the Geo-Filter and it will then effectively apply to all the consoles connected to the switch - in theory anyway. Would recommend then disabling any QoS options on that switch if it has any.