Using Netduma R1 as Major Router

Okay so I have a question, can I use the Netduma Router as my main router? So I have BThub then netduma r1 connected to it, can I just have netduma r1 connected to the socket then all my devices to the netduma?

9 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

If the socket has ethernet or you're able to use an adapter then you should be able to if you put the PPPoE details into the R1 but keep in mind the router doesn't handle PPPoE well with QoS.

I didn't think that the R1 had the capability of running as a modem? 

You don't want to run PPPoE on a R1 at all as you max out with about 50Mbit, even with no QoS.

If you need to run PPPoE you are better off buying something cheap like a Edgerouter X and putting that in front of it to handle PPPoE.

Realistically though, I would not want to use the R1 for you goal in this day and age as the wifi is very slow, it can't handle PPPoE well. If you want to utilize the QoS features even with DHCP on you will max out just over 400Mbit, so really for the faster networks it's not sufficient anymore. For anything over that you need to run superturbo without QoS, so essentially it just operates as a geofilter.

Another issue is that a lot of times with FTTH connections you need to use a VLAN tag, this is possible in the old FW but not in the later DumaOS upgrade if I remember right.

I used mine as a standalone geofilter for a while, connect it between the router on my home network and PS4. Old FW, set it to superturbo, speeds at 1000/1000, static IP, disable DHCP etc and set upnp/port forwarding. You can disable wifi but I had it on so I can alter the geofilter through wifi. Later I just ran a loopback from my switch so I could access it over PC.

If you do want to use it as a main router, I would use another router as wifi AP and really you need to avoid PPPoE, and need to stay <400mbit.

• Administrators
48 minutes ago, N3CR0 said:

I didn't think that the R1 had the capability of running as a modem? 

If it has ethernet capability or an adapter that changes it into an ethernet connection then no need for a modem. Don't know if it'll work in this specific instance but in theory should be no problem doing so.

22 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

If the socket has ethernet or you're able to use an adapter then you should be able to if you put the PPPoE details into the R1 but keep in mind the router doesn't handle PPPoE well with QoS.

This is the type of socket I got 

Screenshot_20200304-152811.png

• Administrators
51 minutes ago, Seye said:

Is there any real advantage or I could do without it?

I'd suggest sticking with the hub to handle QoS, putting the R1 in its DMZ and turning off the WiFi and have everything running through the R1. You could get the adapter but then with the R1 handling PPPoE you may encounter some local congestion issues.

On 3/4/2020 at 9:09 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

I'd suggest sticking with the hub to handle QoS, putting the R1 in its DMZ and turning off the WiFi and have everything running through the R1. You could get the adapter but then with the R1 handling PPPoE you may encounter some local congestion issues.

I have turned off WIFI on BThub like you suggested and enabled DMZ on the R1, my next question is do I still need to enable DMZ again on PS4 connected to R1?

So R1>Network setting->LAN-then type my ps4 IP address in here for open nat type?

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Seye said:

I have turned off WIFI on BThub like you suggested and enabled DMZ on the R1, my next question is do I still need to enable DMZ again on PS4 connected to R1?

So R1>Network setting->LAN-then type my ps4 IP address in here for open nat type?

The R1 doesn't have DMZ so you should be able to get an open NAT through using UPnP or Port Forwarding.