Dropping Wired Connection (XR500)

11 minutes ago, Zippy said:

Hummm I would have hoped this would have lasted longer for you.. That error your getting is that the one in the ARP table?

Thanks!

Zippy.

I'm seriously debating putting this router on the shelf. My gameplay is so bad I look like a bot sponging bullets constantly. Ppl play on wifi and play better than me. This shit is rididculous.

Just now, purpleandgold33 said:

Yep error parsing line in ARP table

Okay Thanks!  Since you have already done a factory reset monitor this again.. If at some point you notice this again just power down the router only by pressing the little power button in the back of the router. Wait a few minutes then power it back on. That may help clear it up for a bit longer and also save you the pain of having to do a full reset start to the router. Which is a pain! 

When you see this in your logs does your router disconnect? Also when you see this in your logs does your gaming seem to be effected by this? In other words do you feel like you take a performance hit from this?

Zippy.

4 minutes ago, purpleandgold33 said:

I'm seriously debating putting this router on the shelf. My gameplay is so bad I look like a bot sponging bullets constantly. Ppl play on wifi and play better than me. This shit is rididculous.

I totally understand your pain my man! I seriously do.. What we are trying to do here is find a solution until the next firmware drop. Either the ARP table is the issue or something is causing the ARP table to get corrupted so to speak.. I know what the ARP table does I just don't know if its the ARP table or something else causing the ARP table to go STALE..

Are you getting any DHCP renew/release entries in your logs around the time the ARP table goes STALE?

Thanks my friend!

Zippy.

59 minutes ago, Zippy said:

I totally understand your pain my man! I seriously do.. What we are trying to do here is find a solution until the next firmware drop. Either the ARP table is the issue or something is causing the ARP table to get corrupted so to speak.. I know what the ARP table does I just don't know if its the ARP table or something else causing the ARP table to go STALE..

Are you getting any DHCP renew/release entries in your logs around the time the ARP table goes STALE?

Thanks my friend!

Zippy.

Yes dhcp does renew form what I seeing. I actually bought a cheap router the other day for shits and giggles its the tp link archer c20. I plugged it in and my gameplay seriously is way better. 

5 hours ago, purpleandgold33 said:

Yes dhcp does renew form what I seeing. I actually bought a cheap router the other day for shits and giggles its the tp link archer c20. I plugged it in and my gameplay seriously is way better. 

Okay Thanks for that info! It likely is what is causing the ARP table to go stale.. If I was a betting type guy. Sometimes those cheapy routers work just fine. And it never hurts to have one around. I do know of something else to try but honestly it would be a 50/50 chance on it working. And it can be a hassle.. The best bet here is to wait for the next firmware drop! Just hang in there because we are all in the same boat.  Feel free to hit me up anytime. And if I come up with something I will definitely share it with yah!

Thanks!

Zippy.

12 hours ago, Zippy said:

Okay Thanks for that info! It likely is what is causing the ARP table to go stale.. If I was a betting type guy. Sometimes those cheapy routers work just fine. And it never hurts to have one around. I do know of something else to try but honestly it would be a 50/50 chance on it working. And it can be a hassle.. The best bet here is to wait for the next firmware drop! Just hang in there because we are all in the same boat.  Feel free to hit me up anytime. And if I come up with something I will definitely share it with yah!

Thanks!

Zippy.

So is that an isp thing or my router that does that. I really want to use this expensive router I bought for gaming but my gameplay is soooo bad. I literally can make a movie on the bs deaths and killcams not lining up with my character and sponging bullets. Any ideas you may have I can try idk. I am waiting for the release of the new firmware but good lord its been like a decade since the last release of an update. 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, purpleandgold33 said:

So is that an isp thing or my router that does that. I really want to use this expensive router I bought for gaming but my gameplay is soooo bad. I literally can make a movie on the bs deaths and killcams not lining up with my character and sponging bullets. Any ideas you may have I can try idk. I am waiting for the release of the new firmware but good lord its been like a decade since the last release of an update. 

Zippy is indicating the DHCP renewals on the XR are causing the STALE ARP entries. If Zippy has something to try I would suggest trying it, he is very good at finding workarounds to issues. Otherwise unfortunately it is waiting for the next firmware.

47 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Zippy is indicating the DHCP renewals on the XR are causing the STALE ARP entries. If Zippy has something to try I would suggest trying it, he is very good at finding workarounds to issues. Otherwise unfortunately it is waiting for the next firmware.

Like I said before I rely on you smarter folks on this stuff cause I learn from you on work arounds, etc.

Hey @purpleandgold33 here is a list of things you can try to see if it helps with your issue. I will list each one bellow separately starting with the easiest to the more difficult to do.. All these I have tested and had some better results.

1) "Have All Devices On Wifi".  This option here I find the most easiest to try. Basically you would do a hard reset to your router and set all your devices up on wifi only.. Nothing can be hard wired.. For some reason this method helps slow down the amount of DHCP renew/release entries. And the ARP table seems to respond well with this.. Its strange this helps but it has from what ive tested. Also a plus about this one is that Device Manager starts to work properly as well. Devices show there correct status being online or offline..

2) "Enable IPV6". Now I know you may ask why would we do this! Well think of this one as a test because here is why.. IPV6 doesn't use ARP(Address Resolution Protocol). IPV6 uses NDP(Neighbor Discovery Protocol). So think of it like this. ARP=IPV4, IPV6=NDP. So by enabling this you will likely notice you wont get those ARP STALE entries. But what you want to look for here is entries that pop up with IPV6 STALE entries. Usually this doesn't happen or if it does it always revolves around those DHCP renew/release events. And a simple way to clear this is by a simple power cycle of just the router. My results with this has been fairly decent as well.. And like always if you try this you have to hard reset your router and start the setup from scratch..

3) "Disable DHCP On The XR500".  To do this you would do this in the section of where you would do address reservations.. Disable the router to handle DHCP on the Lan side and manually assign address separately for all your devices on your Network. This is a big pain.. Specially if you have a lot of devices. And the strange thing about this one is that the XR500 doesn't like this at all.. So if you do try this one make sure you have a lot of patience. And even when one gets everything setup correctly it took me several power cycles to get the XR500 to finally respond to this. But once it did finally connect it worked. This one here you may want to think on. Because it can be a difficult one to do.. 

All those options above are meant to be tried one at a time and not all together. I think if we did try all of those at once the XR500 might have a nervous breakdown.. Because I hear my XR500 talking to me..lol.. And he always says what the hell are you doing now to me!! LOL.  Hes bucky!! ha ha. Anyways I hope this helps you. Try the first one first and let us know how it goes. Again like anything this does have a 50/50 chance on working for you. But I have had some very good luck with them all. The first one just seemed the most stable.

Good luck and feel free to ask any questions and post back your results. This could be useful info!

Zippy.

6 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Thanks Fraser for those kind words my friend! Really appreciate that!  ☺️

Zippy.

11 hours ago, Zippy said:

Hey @purpleandgold33 here is a list of things you can try to see if it helps with your issue. I will list each one bellow separately starting with the easiest to the more difficult to do.. All these I have tested and had some better results.

1) "Have All Devices On Wifi".  This option here I find the most easiest to try. Basically you would do a hard reset to your router and set all your devices up on wifi only.. Nothing can be hard wired.. For some reason this method helps slow down the amount of DHCP renew/release entries. And the ARP table seems to respond well with this.. Its strange this helps but it has from what ive tested. Also a plus about this one is that Device Manager starts to work properly as well. Devices show there correct status being online or offline..

2) "Enable IPV6". Now I know you may ask why would we do this! Well think of this one as a test because here is why.. IPV6 doesn't use ARP(Address Resolution Protocol). IPV6 uses NDP(Neighbor Discovery Protocol). So think of it like this. ARP=IPV4, IPV6=NDP. So by enabling this you will likely notice you wont get those ARP STALE entries. But what you want to look for here is entries that pop up with IPV6 STALE entries. Usually this doesn't happen or if it does it always revolves around those DHCP renew/release events. And a simple way to clear this is by a simple power cycle of just the router. My results with this has been fairly decent as well.. And like always if you try this you have to hard reset your router and start the setup from scratch..

3) "Disable DHCP On The XR500".  To do this you would do this in the section of where you would do address reservations.. Disable the router to handle DHCP on the Lan side and manually assign address separately for all your devices on your Network. This is a big pain.. Specially if you have a lot of devices. And the strange thing about this one is that the XR500 doesn't like this at all.. So if you do try this one make sure you have a lot of patience. And even when one gets everything setup correctly it took me several power cycles to get the XR500 to finally respond to this. But once it did finally connect it worked. This one here you may want to think on. Because it can be a difficult one to do.. 

All those options above are meant to be tried one at a time and not all together. I think if we did try all of those at once the XR500 might have a nervous breakdown.. Because I hear my XR500 talking to me..lol.. And he always says what the hell are you doing now to me!! LOL.  Hes bucky!! ha ha. Anyways I hope this helps you. Try the first one first and let us know how it goes. Again like anything this does have a 50/50 chance on working for you. But I have had some very good luck with them all. The first one just seemed the most stable.

Good luck and feel free to ask any questions and post back your results. This could be useful info!

Zippy.

Sounds good Zippy I'll give it a shot when I get home. I have that cheapy router plugged in right now. So your saying I have to have my ps4 on wifi as well eh? Ok we'll see what happens! Thanks for all of your solutions bro! Appreciate ya always!

6 hours ago, purpleandgold33 said:

Sounds good Zippy I'll give it a shot when I get home. I have that cheapy router plugged in right now. So your saying I have to have my ps4 on wifi as well eh? Ok we'll see what happens! Thanks for all of your solutions bro! Appreciate ya always!

Yes that is correct. Even your ps4 has to be on Wifi. Nothing can be plugged into your wired ports 1-4. Everything has to be on wifi. There are pros and cons with each of these options. And the con is the fact you have to have everything on wifi. But the XR500 does have pretty good wifi so the over all gain of this is much more consistent in performance if it keeps the ARP entries from going STALE. This is why I hope this one works the best for you.

The pros and cons of enabling IPV6 is that it seems to work better also. And it lasts for lengths of time. Even though I did start to get IPV6 entries of going STALE. Around those DHCP renew/release entries. One other con about this enabled is the fact that not all your QoS functions work with this option. Something to think about. This option is why I call it a good testing measure. Because what this option help to do for me was the process of elimination. Meaning it helped me narrow down the likely cause of this issue. Which I believe to be the DHCP renew release entries. And its not the fact that DHCP release/renew is the problem. Its the amount of these that start to take place back to back that the ARP likely cant keep up with. So the end result is the ARP goes STALE..

Disabling DHCP. This option here we can talk about another time. Because this one is very difficult. And there are pros and cons also.. Lets just hope you don't have to try this one.

Your welcome btw! Im always here to help if you need anything. Lets just hope option number one works for you. Because it really is the best option imo. If for some reason things get a little unstable remember a simple powering down of just the router for a few minutes and then powering it back on and let it fully boot back up does wonders some times.. My XR500 has been going strong with this option without issue for almost two months. Hope it gives you the same result.

Good luck! 👍

Zippy.

Zippy I plugged my router back in and hit the factory reset button. Now I cant get past this page. It sits and buffers. I've reset the modem and powered off the router and I even tried plugging into the router itself. I honestly don't k ow what yo do. Any ideas

15838850641121251652987414610838.jpg

3 hours ago, Zippy said:

Yes that is correct. Even your ps4 has to be on Wifi. Nothing can be plugged into your wired ports 1-4. Everything has to be on wifi. There are pros and cons with each of these options. And the con is the fact you have to have everything on wifi. But the XR500 does have pretty good wifi so the over all gain of this is much more consistent in performance if it keeps the ARP entries from going STALE. This is why I hope this one works the best for you.

The pros and cons of enabling IPV6 is that it seems to work better also. And it lasts for lengths of time. Even though I did start to get IPV6 entries of going STALE. Around those DHCP renew/release entries. One other con about this enabled is the fact that not all your QoS functions work with this option. Something to think about. This option is why I call it a good testing measure. Because what this option help to do for me was the process of elimination. Meaning it helped me narrow down the likely cause of this issue. Which I believe to be the DHCP renew release entries. And its not the fact that DHCP release/renew is the problem. Its the amount of these that start to take place back to back that the ARP likely cant keep up with. So the end result is the ARP goes STALE..

Disabling DHCP. This option here we can talk about another time. Because this one is very difficult. And there are pros and cons also.. Lets just hope you don't have to try this one.

Your welcome btw! Im always here to help if you need anything. Lets just hope option number one works for you. Because it really is the best option imo. If for some reason things get a little unstable remember a simple powering down of just the router for a few minutes and then powering it back on and let it fully boot back up does wonders some times.. My XR500 has been going strong with this option without issue for almost two months. Hope it gives you the same result.

Good luck! 👍

Zippy.

See above post I forgot to quote you so you see it as I am doing this from my phone

20 minutes ago, purpleandgold33 said:

See above post I forgot to quote you so you see it as I am doing this from my phone

Ok I finally got it. For whatever reason my ethernet cable wasn't connected good enough. Sorry to bother you. I will try all of the above. Thanks for explaining everything to me to I really appreciate your time bro!!!!

18 minutes ago, purpleandgold33 said:

Zippy I plugged my router back in and hit the factory reset button. Now I cant get past this page. It sits and buffers. I've reset the modem and powered off the router and I even tried plugging into the router itself. I honestly don't k ow what yo do. Any ideas

15838850641121251652987414610838.jpg

No worries here, This seems to be another issue that the XR500 struggles with. Ive run into this countless of times.  Heres what I would do. When you get to that part just power cycle your modem. You might have to do this a few times. And if that doesn't  work disconnect your XR500 and do another factory reset start to it using a little pin in the back of the router and hold it for at least 10 seconds.. And then let the router fully boot up and then hook up your modem to it.. The XR500 is bucky! Let me know how it goes for you!

Zippy.

9 minutes ago, purpleandgold33 said:

Ok I finally got it. For whatever reason my ethernet cable wasn't connected good enough. Sorry to bother you. I will try all of the above. Thanks for explaining everything to me to I really appreciate your time bro!!!!

Ha Ha no worries man! Im glad you got it going!. If none of those steps would have worked we would have needed to do an intervention! LOL..

Remember to try my first option first and put everything on wireless. Don't try using all my options at once.. 

Good luck my friend!

Zippy.

• 5 months later...
  • Administrators
32 minutes ago, Slazia said:

I know this is a long time after my original posting, but things got better for a while and then worse.

I fixed it yesterday.

I noticed my other desktop PC (wired) never had any connection issues. I switched the LAN cable and now it's fine.

It was all due to a bad cable.

Sometimes it's the most simplest solution! Glad you were able to resolve it. I'll close this topic but feel free to open another if needed and we'll be happy to help.