Random internet disconnects

Why is this XR500 randomly disconnecting from the internet ,just happened whilst watching Netflix ,also yesterday did the same but noticed that was a dhcp lease renewal at a stupid time of 20.21 ,also what’s all this crap in the logs and another also is this router dead in the water as there has been no updates for over a year.Talk about be duped 

CE7479F2-51A5-469B-BFD6-12527921AED9.png

2164419C-3496-48BD-BFB7-A9303AF6AB30.png

• Administrators

Does it happen across all devices or only wired/wifi? You're having a lot of remote LAN access requests have you got remote management enabled? There is nothing in the logs there that indicate why it would be disconnecting. How often is it happening, once per day or more? As you're an insider you're aware that 3.0 will be coming soon and will be available for all the DumaOS routers.

I do have remote access enabled via the Nighthawk app ,not using though at the moment and the disconnects have started over the last week once a day which is weird ,the router loses internet so therefore all devices ,however the Vigor 130 was still connect I believe ,think when it happens again I will check the modem ,also why are those lan access there if I’m not accessing ...cheers 

• Administrators

I'm not sure if it is the lease now as the router itself loses a connection. What is the XR connected to a modem or modem/router? How is it connected? 

Regarding the LAN make sure in WAN Settings that respond to internet ping is unticked, does that help?

55 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I'm not sure if it is the lease now as the router itself loses a connection. What is the XR connected to a modem or modem/router? How is it connected? 

Regarding the LAN make sure in WAN Settings that respond to internet ping is unticked, does that help?

55 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Yes respond to ping is unticked ,also it’s connected to a Vigor 130 modem ,I’m convinced the DHCP lease is causing the issue 

• Administrators

Is the XR using PPPoE or anything like that? In Internet Setup switch it to Static instead of Dynamic. If it is the DHCP lease then give devices some reserved IPs but in theory it shouldn't if the router itself has no internet.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Is the XR using PPPoE or anything like that? In Internet Setup switch it to Static instead of Dynamic. If it is the DHCP lease then give devices some reserved IPs but in theory it shouldn't if the router itself has no internet.

It’s on PPPoE dynamic as using BT ,will switching to static not confuse the BT connection as they are not static IPs 

thanks 

25 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Is the PPPoE set to connection method 'Always On' in Internet Setup? If it isn't that would explain random disconnects as it dials in the connection again. Ah yes ignore that sorry.

Always on ,discovery that when I had the R7800 few years back 😂

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay good, give your devices some reserved IPs then and see if they disconnect at all.

To be fair it’s not the devices ,the router is disconnecting from the net ,as you can see in the image the router has lost its internet connection so it’s not devices but the router 

• Administrators

That's what I thought so it can't be the DHCP Lease as that will just affect the devices. I've seen that your IP changes fairly frequently so that could be it that when it changes it can't reconnect properly. Do you have another router you could put between the modem and router to see if when that handles your IP changes if your devices/the router sustain a connection?

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That's what I thought so it can't be the DHCP Lease as that will just affect the devices. I've seen that your IP changes fairly frequently so that could be it that when it changes it can't reconnect properly. Do you have another router you could put between the modem and router to see if when that handles your IP changes if your devices/the router sustain a connection?

Well I do but it’s BT home hub 

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

As long as it'll work between the modem and router that'll be fine.

Won’t work it’s got a built in modem ,I’ll have to get my tech head on a figure this out