Abysmal speeds on XR300

Hello,

I just received my Netgear Nighthwak XR300 this morning and after setting it up I was disappointed to find out my gigabit fiber connection can barely hit 100Mbps
I immediately suspected my ISP might be having issues so I re-connected the old router and I was able to get my usual 800Mbps-1.1Gbps speed on a speed test.

My network setup is pretty basic, I have a ONT hooked up to the router, which connects via PPPoE and has to set the VLAN tag to 835 - there's no ISP supplied router or modem between me and the WAN, just the ONT.

After researching the issue I have found several threads here and on Netgear forums with people having similar issues so I have tried the following as suggested in those threads

• Check the cables: I am using Gigabit capable cables (I believe they are Cat 5e), I can also confirm the cables are fine because hooking up my previous router, a Linksys EA6350, gives me the appropriate speeds
• Disable QoS entirely: I tried, nothing changes
• Reboot: Just did, nothing
• Reset to factory defaults: tried, re-configured everything, no change
• Disable IPv6: as far as I can tell it's already disabled but I might be disabling it in the wrong place
• Try AP Mode: this is not possible as the ONT requires me to use PPPoE, I could put my old router between the XR300 and the ONT but I don't want two routers I have tried hooking up my router to the XR300's WAN port, without even enabling AP mode I immediately get the proper speed so it's not a QoS issue, the ONT simply does not like my XR300...
• Downgrade/Upgrade the firmware: I did not try this, but the issue was present with the firmware that came with the router and stuck around after I installed the latest version, I'm not sure what other versions I could try.
• Try changing the VLAN Priority to 1: no change. I also tried 7 for kicks, it didn't really change anything. Down speeds are terrible and go from 50 to 120 mbps at best.
• Clone your previous router's MAC address: no change

I'm kind of lost, all that's left to me is leave the router on overnight as it seems that some people had their routers fix themselves over time somehow but I figured I'd ask for help here before giving up entirely.

Welcome to the forum!

You've saved us a lot of time by going through so many troubleshooting steps yourself, so thanks for that.

Based on what you've said above, and as you suggested, I think that the problem is between the ONT and the XR300. Perhaps it is the XR300's implementation of PPPoE which is failing.

Is there a reason that you can't use the other router as an intermediate between the XR300 and the ONT? All you'd need to do is to put the XR300 into the DMZ of the intermediate router. I'll admit that's a bit convoluted but it's a possible solution.

We'll have to do some more troubleshooting to get the XR300 communicating directly with the ONT because there's clearly some mismatch going on there. My guess is that it's incorrectly auto-negotiating the speed of the adapter. I'll need to do a bit of research into how to fix that on an XR300 because i've not come across the problem before.

• 5 months later...
  • Administrators
7 hours ago, fiefo said:

Having this issue as well. I’ve followed those steps in depth and much more. XR300 bottlenecks speeds somehow :(

What speeds do you pay for/expect and what do you get doing a wired speed test? What is your physical setup?

ONT—> XR300 (cloned MAC address from fios Router previous) .

About 10 wireless devices and a bridged actiontec for STBs connected via lan -lan. (4 STBs total) 

pay for 940/850 package I believe ( the “gig” option For fios) 

wired speed test on dsl sometimes : 400-200

Speedtest.net = 200-100

Bottlenecking somewhere. I’ve got cat 8 cabling all the way around as well and each one was checked with a continuity conductor.

200-50......

I found that disabling duma class for games helps with more consistent speed on the PS4 test : 100-5 but my isp router got 200-400 consistently 

A direct modem test captured On my Mac hardwired was about 500-600 

Ont**

• Administrators

So it is the router itself then which is not getting the speeds, that can indicate issues outside of the router but as you said, you get your speeds through the ONT. Go to routerlogin.net/debug.htm and tick the option to mirror the WAN port to port 1 and then connect the ONT to port 1 of the router and try a speed test then.

• Administrators

You may need to reboot the router after enabling that option for it to pick up the internet through port 1 correctly. If you still don't get internet go to internet setup in settings, verify the settings are the same and click apply.

Got back in finally. For my PS4, I just want to have the best connection to player hosted lobbies aka custom games. I feel like the only thing that would benefit me is Traffic prioritization for PS4 console which I manually enabled and disabled the duma classified games. Every time I tinker with the bloat or bandwidth allocation, everything messes up speeds wise :(.

• Administrators

Did you setup back the normal way or was this using the LAN port for WAN? It should only affect speeds if you've set Anti-BB to When High Priority Traffic detected or if you've done some incorrect rules for the feature. It could affect the speed test as it wouldn't be prioritizing that. 

Back to normal. Ran a speed test and now I’m getting 300-400 on Speedtest.net which isn’t to bad but dsl shows 500-500...anyways.... every time I enable settings within QoS I always endure some latency issues or weird bullet reg. Do you recommend I just disable everything ?

• Administrators

With your speeds it's unlikely you're going to experience local congestion so yes you could disable this if you find it helps you get your speeds and you find it provides a better experience.

But the thing is, a lot of ppl in my house use a lot of streaming thing. 2 rokus, 2 iPads, laptops smart TVs etc. So I’d like the PS4 to be first in line but without the extra latency that qos provides