Interface Really Slow

Hi all,

Ever since I got my XR500, I very regularly run into this issue—like at least once a week—and the only way to fix it is to reboot 5-6 times.  I'm looking for advice since I feel that what I thought I was buying was a router that should operate smooth as butter, but instead mostly feels like I'm interacting with it over a 56k modem.  To be clear, most of the time the devices on the network fly and I get around 940mbps down, and 40 mbps up (on a 1 gig plan via Comcast) even when the UI is being slow and unusable.  It's just the Netduma router that's slow...

It typically starts with a DHCP event around midnight where I think the router tries to get a new lease from my modem (owned by me, but on Comcast—modem is a Motorola Model MB8600 if it matters) that I think fails somehow, so all internet goes off.  The only way to fix it is to reboot the modem, and then reboot the router.  Once I do this—and in this order—things come back up, but around 90% of the time the Netduma UI is unresponsive requiring me to reboot it several times for the one time that things come back up normal.

It looks like the attached images when it comes back up... first it just looks like it's loading everything forever and never actually loading... then it will usually show the message saying that it's taking a while to load the app, but sometimes it just shows a generic error like the last screenshot.

Any ideas?  I am almost at the point of trashing this $500 router...  I can't use any of the features unless I do this multi-reboot thing (each reboot takes things down for like 2-3 mins), and when it is working, I find it actually hinders things, like the buffer bloat causes more lag in games, etc.

I look forward to your advice...

Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 8.28.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 8.29.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 8.45.52 PM.png

Guest Killhippie
3 hours ago, jstrellner said:

Do you happen to know which version you rolled back to?

Be aware any firmware before 2.3.2.56 has lots of security issues and leaves you open to a full on DoS attack vulnerability and the chance of having your LAN hijacked along with your router When people advise to downgrade firmware they really should mention the security issues, because if your router gets bricked or pwned Netgear wont help, because you are running old unsafe firmware, its in their disclaimer. Have you tried  emptying your browsers cache, making sure any adblockers are tuned off for the router GUI. Also at any point have you factory reset the router, that generally sorts issues out like this, rebooting a router loads of times wont fix the issue and generally just makes the thing more confused. I would factory reset if you have never done that and set up and new, no backups and see if that helps.

8 hours ago, ToOFeduP said:

disable qos completely and see if that helps.

I’ve had that disabled for ~3 months once I realized I got better hit detection in COD with it disabled. I think the processing actually slowed down the packet transmission just enough for me to see it in game.

One other thing, I have noticed that a “soft” reboot from the Administration menu will up my odds to around 50/50 for if things come back normally after a reboot. If I just unplug it, it’s like 90% of the time it doesn’t work right anymore. 

Guest Killhippie
1 hour ago, jstrellner said:

I’ve had that disabled for ~3 months once I realized I got better hit detection in COD with it disabled. I think the processing actually slowed down the packet transmission just enough for me to see it in game.

One other thing, I have noticed that a “soft” reboot from the Administration menu will up my odds to around 50/50 for if things come back normally after a reboot. If I just unplug it, it’s like 90% of the time it doesn’t work right anymore. 

So have you ever factory reset the router using the pin hole in the back and set it up again from scratch? Rebooting it over and over will just corrupt the flash NAND and firmware, routers should not need to be rebooted that often let alone as many times as yours. Download the latest firmware version re install it, factory reset the router leave it a few minutes and set it from as new and see how that goes, thats probably your best course of action because power cycling is certainly not helping.

• Administrators

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. Firstly could you clear the cache/cookies on your browser, then when you've done that click on every page until it loads (it may be slow the first time). Then in the R-App panel options on System Information change the number of retries to 5 instead of three and then reboot the router. Hopefully that will resolve the slow loading. 

How long have you waited before rebooting the router when the connection goes down? I.e. does it ever come back on its own say after 10 minutes or regardless of how long you leave it you need to do the reboot sequence? If it does come back eventually I would suggest before you go to bed to reboot the router, that should make it renew the lease at only that time everyday and should then impact you less. Otherwise downgrading, if you're comfortable with that may resolve the issue. You could also try changing the Internet Setup from dynamic to static, and also ssetting reserved IPs for the LAN devices on the router.

@Killhippie I have not done a factory reset.  Really trying to avoid that, but may try that.

@Netduma Fraser It's the same when I access the interface in incognito mode, which removes all cache and cookies.  I've also tried other browsers at various times and it was the same.

Based on previous troubleshooting, it was already at 5... image.thumb.png.3ddc5ee161fcd45e5389ea5b699e6f16.png

I've left it sitting for 5-10 minutes in the past before rebooting (it usually takes around 2-3 minutes after a reboot for the network to come back up).  And usually between "re-reboots" it's around 5 minutes after the network is up, but may have been less at times I was being impatient... The only time I notice that the router isn't working right is when I'm gaming, since that's when I have the UI up.

In regards to setting reserved IPs, that doesn't have an effect, since I do have the xbox configured for a static IP.  The xbox and several other devices are wired, and then the rest wireless.  They all go down.

image.thumb.png.b15d2a93903a65e925d7c9b55cce246c.png

Thanks everyone for the ideas.  I think the next step is next time it does it, I'll do a factory restore and reset everything back up again.  If that doesn't work I'll try the previous firmware.

-Joel

• Administrators
19 hours ago, jstrellner said:

Is there an ETA for this? Or any way to get it early? 😉

No ETA yet but there is a lot of progress being made. People are putting their name down here: 

Though it's not an official beta application we are noting people down who would be interested in testing.

Guest Killhippie
On 2/4/2020 at 10:39 PM, jstrellner said:

Thanks everyone for the ideas.  I think the next step is next time it does it, I'll do a factory restore and reset everything back up again.  If that doesn't work I'll try the previous firmware.

-Joel

Please remember the previous firmware has a glaring DoS vulnerability that is being  openly exploited. I personally think all recommendations should come with an "at your own risk", and "if your router gets hacked Netgear wont be held responsible" as you were not using the latest firmware which their disclaimer states.. Maybe that's someting Fraser and the team should emphasise when they suggest downgrading, as there are a lot of security vulnerabilities in older firmware, and you don't want your LAN to get hacked along with your router and who knows how easy it will be to get back to a working state after an attack like that.