XR300 - High Priority Traffic detection issues

Hi everyone,

I just got a brand new XR300 router and as recommended by the setup wizard I updated to the latest firmware available which is the 1.0.3.38_10.3.30. Right after that I reset the router to factory defaults to make sure I won't hit any bumps from the upgrade.

After monitoring the new router while gaming for a couple of days, I noticed that there is a serious issue with the High Priority Traffic detection. Most of the times it detects my PS4 pro game traffic alright and it turns on as it should. However when I close the game or even if I put my PS4 on rest mode or when I turn it off, the High Priority Traffic indicator remains on and as expected my connection remains throttled to the percentage I have set in the QoS Anti-Bufferbloat settings. It seems that the High Priority traffic detection is completely bugged as it remains on even if there is absolutely no prioritised package on download/upload package count, or even if I uncheck the "enabled" checkbox of the DumaOS Classified Games service. The only way to turn the High Priority traffic indicator off is to reboot the XR300.

I would also like to mention that this is not an issue with my R1. High priority traffic detection works as expected with my old DumaOS powered R1.

I have noticed that other people experience the very same thing with the XR300. Has this issue been identified and replicated by the dev team? Is there some workaround perhaps? Is the team working on a hotfix?

• Administrators

Judging from what you have said I don't think you've set it up incorrectly and so what I will do as we're having someone else with this issue presently is pass this on to a colleague who would be able to test this and see if they can replicate it. If they can't then it's something we're missing settings wise and we can revisit it, otherwise it's something that can be passed onto the devs for a fix.

41 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Judging from what you have said I don't think you've set it up incorrectly and so what I will do as we're having someone else with this issue presently is pass this on to a colleague who would be able to test this and see if they can replicate it. If they can't then it's something we're missing settings wise and we can revisit it, otherwise it's something that can be passed onto the devs for a fix.

Thanks Fraser. Please do let me know if you need any clarifications from my side. 

I noticed that automatic traffic detection sometimes does not even turn on when there are two PS4 games online in the same network. Sometimes it does start and in the middle of the game session the priority traffic indicator it turns off, even though the high priority counter shows there is high priority traffic present (see the below video). A quick speedtest when that issue occurs shows that the indicator is "correct" and that the speed is not capped at all as it should happen automatically when high priority traffic is detected. 

Edit: I think its not about the two PlayStations being active in the network at the same time. Today it happened twice with only one PS4 active. Seems to be completely random 

On 1/7/2020 at 9:30 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

That's very weird, this definitely seems to be isolated to the XR300 as it's not affecting the other XR routers. Thanks for the extra information on this, I'll make sure the team know so they can look at this as well.

Any news on that one? 

On 1/19/2020 at 8:20 AM, George said:

I guess there's still no news for me yet? 

Unfortunately not. We've got it on our bug tracker, but I don't think a fix for this issue will be ready before the release of DumaOS 3.0. The developers are currently very focused on getting 3.0 out.

37 minutes ago, Netduma Alex said:

Unfortunately not. We've got it on our bug tracker, but I don't think a fix for this issue will be ready before the release of DumaOS 3.0. The developers are currently very focused on getting 3.0 out.

So is there any estimate on when DumaOS 3.0 is getting out for XR300?

Guest Killhippie
On 1/20/2020 at 11:41 AM, Netduma Alex said:

Will the Devs be focused on bug testing after 3.0 is released?  You cant write firmware without bugs if you could we would never need patches. Right now it appears nothing much has changed still, always onto the next thing but never cleaning up the bugs that were left without a fix. Personally I cannot get my head around leaving the XR500 in the state its been in for over a year with no proper patch releases. Yes I know I've said it all before, but patching bugs that arise is vitally important and it seems to be something that's gets forgotten about far to easily. The XR500 is the first router I have moved on from because nothing was patched, especially when so many people needing patches for the same issues that were posted over and over again. Watching the same issues pop up on forum for a year with the same answers became tiresome to watch. I know you guys work hard and yes lots of new features are incoming and hopefully many of the issues will be fixed, but can you guarantee the devs will implement a regular patch update program after 3.0's release before leaping onto the next big thing? :(

9 minutes ago, Killhippie said:

The XR500 is the first router I have moved on from because nothing was patched, especially when so many people needing patches for the same issues that were posted over and over again.

Same here, the XR300 is the very first router I had to move on from due to unpatched firmware issues... Tried to return it but the lemon law in my country doesn’t actually cover products with bad or  defective firmware/software. I also raised a ticket with Netgear, they acknowledged all the issues, saying that can’t do anything about it and that I m supposed to figure everything out with the seller of the router... Great stuff!
So I guess my only hope now is that somehow DumaOS 3.0 will be in a better shape than the latest XR300 firmware. However from my experience in the software industry, new features usually come together with new issues and since the Netduma team is so unwilling to slow down and do some housekeeping, I am not sure we will ever get a usable DumaOS release... Right now I am stuck with a £175 paperweight as the XR300 firmware is far from being considered stable enough to be used as my daily driver at my home setup...

• Administrators

I totally understand the frustration, if I was having an issue that was unfixable except for an update I would get frustrated as well. All I can say are two things:

3.0 itself encompasses reworks of existing features which should eliminate existing bugs without specifically going to fix them if that makes sense.
Once released it will be A LOT easier to have fixes out there faster without having to wait as long.

Guest Killhippie

I look forward to seeing what its all about, I'll stick 3.0 on it then keep it as a back up router or sell it as I already have a few other spare routers laying about, I really hope the patching of new issues that inevitably pop up will happen too, and that IPv6 and PPPoE issues have been addressed in 3.0. Good luck and hope it all works as its meant to. :)

• 7 months later...
On 1/25/2020 at 3:08 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

I totally understand the frustration, if I was having an issue that was unfixable except for an update I would get frustrated as well. All I can say are two things:

3.0 itself encompasses reworks of existing features which should eliminate existing bugs without specifically going to fix them if that makes sense.
Once released it will be A LOT easier to have fixes out there faster without having to wait as long.

It has been quite sometime since the beta of 3.0 cane out, however I am still waiting for that confirmation email to join the beta testing. Can you please help me out to get access to the latest beta build?

• Administrators
9 hours ago, George said:

It has been quite sometime since the beta of 3.0 cane out, however I am still waiting for that confirmation email to join the beta testing. Can you please help me out to get access to the latest beta build?

We're still working on getting out the XR300 as soon as possible. Meanwhile I've given you access to the R1 beta - take a look on the forum for the beta section.

13 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

We're still working on getting out the XR300 as soon as possible. Meanwhile I've given you access to the R1 beta - take a look on the forum for the beta section.

Unfortunately I do not own the R1 anymore as I have given it away. Is there a planned DumaOS 3.0 release date for the XR300 down the road? 

XR300 right now is unusable due to the fact that all dumaOS key features are broken... 

Edit: I can no longer see the XR300 under the Nighthawk support page. There's no firmware thread for the XR300 there... What does that mean? XR300 is no longer supported? Did it fall from grace all of a sudden?

Screenshot 2020-09-05 at 9.20.52 AM.png

• Administrators
10 hours ago, George said:

Unfortunately I do not own the R1 anymore as I have given it away. Is there a planned DumaOS 3.0 release date for the XR300 down the road? 

XR300 right now is unusable due to the fact that all dumaOS key features are broken... 

Edit: I can no longer see the XR300 under the Nighthawk support page. There's no firmware thread for the XR300 there... What does that mean? XR300 is no longer supported? Did it fall from grace all of a sudden?

Yes absolutely there is, we're working hard to get that out as soon as possible. What features specifically other than Traffic Prio? Might be best to try an older firmware. I don't think we put a firmware topic there but it doesn't mean it isn't supported, we're still absolutely supporting it and getting 3.0 ready for it.

• 2 months later...
On 9/5/2020 at 8:17 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Yes absolutely there is, we're working hard to get that out as soon as possible

Any idea on when this is going to happen? There's radio silence for months, so what is the status of this? 

Buenas tardes Fraser,,, tengo problemas con la detección de tráfico de alta prioridad en el xr300,,, estoy en la actualización 3.50 hay otra actualización nueva o debería bajar al Firmware anterior,,, te lo digo porque unas de las cosas más importantes es esta opción y no la detecta porque no se enciende la luz roja,,,alguna solución muchas gracias y un saludo 

• 2 weeks later...

Io sono 2 anni che aspetto l aggiornamento e niente....prese in giro su prese in giro...la priorità di traffico è sempre stata un problema...ho aperto molti post a riguardo...@fraser lo sa benissimo è vergognosa la cosa,un router da 150 euro fermo in una scatola perché non fa quello che deve fare...dovete risolvere aprirò una seconda causa alla net..non c'è altra soluzione mi pare...sono deluso Fraser