I have two routers but i only want the xr500's geofilter,not the qos

Hello DumaOs Community,new member here!

So i have a tp link router that works great for call of duty and i prefer the qos over the xr500s and also its security settings.is there a way i can only use the xr500 for the geofilter and my tp link for the rest of the settings such as security and qos? I dont want the settings on the xr500 to clash with the other settings,just the geofilter

Welcome to the forum! If you add your XR500 in your tp link routers DMZ then you can use it like that. You have to add it into the tp links DMZ or otherwise you will likely run into a double Nat type situation. And that is something you don't want..

Heres how I have mine currently set up. Cable modem >Asus Router >XR500. I have everything turned off in the XR500 and only use the GeoFilter when need be. The only thing I have plugged into my XR500 is my Xbox. That's it. My Asus does a much better job at QoS. And everything else is running through my Asus. Another advantage of this setup is if my XR500 goes down it wont effect everyone else in the home. As my XR500 is very tempered and I cant trust it staying connected or stay reliable..

Hope this helps! If you have any question let me know!

Zippy.

3 hours ago, Zippy said:

Welcome to the forum! If you add your XR500 in your tp link routers DMZ then you can use it like that. You have to add it into the tp links DMZ or otherwise you will likely run into a double Nat type situation. And that is something you don't want..

Heres how I have mine currently set up. Cable modem >Asus Router >XR500. I have everything turned off in the XR500 and only use the GeoFilter when need be. The only thing I have plugged into my XR500 is my Xbox. That's it. My Asus does a much better job at QoS. And everything else is running through my Asus. Another advantage of this setup is if my XR500 goes down it wont effect everyone else in the home. As my XR500 is very tempered and I cant trust it staying connected or stay reliable..

Hope this helps! If you have any question let me know!

Zippy.

what asus router do you have?

5 hours ago, RaWxDeaL said:

Hello DumaOs Community,new member here!

So i have a tp link router that works great for call of duty and i prefer the qos over the xr500s and also its security settings.is there a way i can only use the xr500 for the geofilter and my tp link for the rest of the settings such as security and qos? I dont want the settings on the xr500 to clash with the other settings,just the geofilter

what tp link router do you have?

20 hours ago, purpleandgold33 said:

what asus router do you have?

The Asus router I have is the Republic Of Gaming GT AC5300. The "upside down dead spider".. It has some nice features. One is I can have full bandwidth control per device. And I can prioritize by device or by ports per device. Seems to manage my BB better and just works better for myself. The big key feature it has is an Active Connection Log. That features gives me full details on every port a device is using and also the ip address. And also gives me the status of each port. With out this feature here I would have never stumbled upon the fact I wasn't getting a full Teredo connection. It honestly shocked me when I found this out. And if one plays on any MS Pc or Xbox platform it is key to have a full Teredo connection. The crazy part about full Teredo connection is one can have a Open Nat and not even know they don't have a full Teredo connection. How I spotted this was when I ran my XR500 into my Asus.  And once I did that I noticed I was getting "No Response" off a few UDP ports. At first I thought that it was normal. But it turns out nope! It either should have said Established or Assured..I think the main cause of this is the XR500 likely has a very outdated Upnp. From what @Killhippie stated its very likely true. He is an avid Netgear user and stays up on the current state of different routers they have. He can probably chime in and clarify on this.. Im currently still investigating more on this and have been getting good results. But it is very critical to have a full connection with Teredo. And turning off IPv6 will not get you away from it. That may have worked in the past but not anymore from what im seeing..  

Teredo is to merge all connections types into one. Since everyone can have a different type of connection it is the reason for Teredo. And if Xbox or MS have this I would think Sony or PS4 has to have a form of this also. I don't see how they couldn't.

Zippy..

1 hour ago, Zippy said:

The Asus router I have is the Republic Of Gaming GT AC5300. The "upside down dead spider".. It has some nice features. One is I can have full bandwidth control per device. And I can prioritize by device or by ports per device. Seems to manage my BB better and just works better for myself. The big key feature it has is an Active Connection Log. That features gives me full details on every port a device is using and also the ip address. And also gives me the status of each port. With out this feature here I would have never stumbled upon the fact I wasn't getting a full Teredo connection. It honestly shocked me when I found this out. And if one plays on any MS Pc or Xbox platform it is key to have a full Teredo connection. The crazy part about full Teredo connection is one can have a Open Nat and not even know they don't have a full Teredo connection. How I spotted this was when I ran my XR500 into my Asus.  And once I did that I noticed I was getting "No Response" off a few UDP ports. At first I thought that it was normal. But it turns out nope! It either should have said Established or Assured..I think the main cause of this is the XR500 likely has a very outdated Upnp. From what @Killhippie stated its very likely true. He is an avid Netgear user and stays up on the current state of different routers they have. He can probably chime in and clarify on this.. Im currently still investigating more on this and have been getting good results. But it is very critical to have a full connection with Teredo. And turning off IPv6 will not get you away from it. That may have worked in the past but not anymore from what im seeing..  

Teredo is to merge all connections types into one. Since everyone can have a different type of connection it is the reason for Teredo. And if Xbox or MS have this I would think Sony or PS4 has to have a form of this also. I don't see how they couldn't.

Zippy..

ok so if I were to get another router how are you running your setup? Asus being first from cable modem then xr500 and putting xr500 into asus dmz? I don't want to talk trash about this router but I'm kinda losing faith in its capabilities and the fact that haven't released an update in over a year is total bs. 

4 hours ago, purpleandgold33 said:

ok so if I were to get another router how are you running your setup? Asus being first from cable modem then xr500 and putting xr500 into asus dmz? I don't want to talk trash about this router but I'm kinda losing faith in its capabilities and the fact that haven't released an update in over a year is total bs. 

Yes that is correct! I have mine setup cable modem>Asus>XR500. And my XR500 is put into my Asus DMZ. I totally understand I have a hard time myself holding back about my XR500. It really is missing some very important features/settings that really need to be here. And really the QoS on my XR500 isn't by any means great. I get much better ping plotter results using my Asus. And I don't have to constantly tinker with it either. Not the case when owning a XR500. And I know things like Upnp are out dated. And very little IPv6 options which don't work proper with DumaOS. In my case since I game on Xbox I need a router that has settings that will give me a full Teredo connection. 

Im not saying you should go out and buy an Asus. You can buy any brand you want. But whatever brand you buy make sure it has good QoS and has full IPv6 control. And it wouldn't hurt to have something that has an active connection log. Theres a lot of good routers out there. Once we get the next new milestone we will know where we stand with the XR500. Im already looking for new options myself even though my Asus is doing its job atm. Lets see what the next new firmware does..

Btw lets send those Packers packing!! Cant wait for tomorrows game! 👍 If theres one game I want the Vikings to win its this one!

Zippy.

1 hour ago, Zippy said:

Yes that is correct! I have mine setup cable modem>Asus>XR500. And my XR500 is put into my Asus DMZ. I totally understand I have a hard time myself holding back about my XR500. It really is missing some very important features/settings that really need to be here. And really the QoS on my XR500 isn't by any means great. I get much better ping plotter results using my Asus. And I don't have to constantly tinker with it either. Not the case when owning a XR500. And I know things like Upnp are out dated. And very little IPv6 options which don't work proper with DumaOS. In my case since I game on Xbox I need a router that has settings that will give me a full Teredo connection. 

Im not saying you should go out and buy an Asus. You can buy any brand you want. But whatever brand you buy make sure it has good QoS and has full IPv6 control. And it wouldn't hurt to have something that has an active connection log. Theres a lot of good routers out there. Once we get the next new milestone we will know where we stand with the XR500. Im already looking for new options myself even though my Asus is doing its job atm. Lets see what the next new firmware does..

Btw lets send those Packers packing!! Cant wait for tomorrows game! 👍 If theres one game I want the Vikings to win its this one!

Zippy.

Dude for sure we gotta win this one! Packer week is our superbowl. We should've beat them the first game but the refs jobbed us on that Dalvin cook push off in the endzone nonsense. Whatever. Anyways, literally right now I'm playing blackout on wifi cause I couldn't take it anymore. No matter what settings I use or do I cannot make this game play good at all. Literally getting destroyed by noobs and I'm usually around a 2kd player in ever cod since MW2. Bullet sponging and insta deaths galllore. The games plays way better on wifi for god sake. Like I said the R1 was great when we had p2p matches but ever since cod switched over to dedi's the duma has kinda been not so relevant. Not to mention my vids lag from time to time internet seems not normal for 200 d and 10 up. I 'll  wait and see if the new software is worth a shit and if not I'm done. Thanks for the heads up with the features I need to be looking out for. I was reading reviews on the one you currently have. Let me know if you have suggestions of routers you would purchase if you were on the market. I just bought this XR probably a couple months ago. Its a damn shame thats its pretty much like burning cash. Literally the only thing this is good for is the geo. But I could seriously do away with it for a normal connection. Merry Christmas Zip!

Guest Killhippie
10 hours ago, Zippy said:

Zippy..

UPnP (miniupnpd) on the XR500 is about 15 years now Netgear never updated it, its just been patched in binary its proprietary so cannot be amended. The same goes for Open SSL, its over two years old now and that can be updated., but Netgear do not update the code of their routers that much, in fact take the R9000 the R7800 and the XR500 all have different versions of OpenSSL when they should have the same version, it depends on the writers in Taiwan, some are better than others and some are just lazy. You will find streamboost is still in the XR500 code, from its predecessor the R7800, Netgear just add new code and leave the old code as dead but never write fresh firmware as such. Netgear routers are like a note pad you scribble on and it makes it hard to patch when there is so much clutter from previous routers.

4 hours ago, Killhippie said:

UPnP (miniupnpd) on the XR500 is about 15 years now Netgear never updated it, its just been patched in binary its proprietary so cannot be amended. The same goes for Open SSL, its over two years old now and that can be updated., but Netgear do not update the code of their routers that much, in fact take the R9000 the R7800 and the XR500 all have different versions of OpenSSL when they should have the same version, it depends on the writers in Taiwan, some are better than others and some are just lazy. You will find streamboost is still in the XR500 code, from its predecessor the R7800, Netgear just add new code and leave the old code as dead but never write fresh firmware as such. Netgear routers are like a note pad you scribble on and it makes it hard to patch when there is so much clutter from previous routers.

I don't understand all of it but it sounds like we are behind on the XR500 platform and its probably never going to change cause of netgears inability to put things up to date. All I know is the game I play runs better on wifi right now then when I'm wired. It's probably more of the games fault then the router. But I had a nighthawk 7800 as well and had it since it came out along with the R1. I'm honestly thinking about a different router soon even though I just bought the XR500 a few months ago. I rely on you smarter fellas to keep me in the loop on thoughts and opinions which I learn a lot from! Cheers!

5 hours ago, purpleandgold33 said:

I don't understand all of it but it sounds like we are behind on the XR500 platform and its probably never going to change cause of netgears inability to put things up to date. All I know is the game I play runs better on wifi right now then when I'm wired. It's probably more of the games fault then the router. But I had a nighthawk 7800 as well and had it since it came out along with the R1. I'm honestly thinking about a different router soon even though I just bought the XR500 a few months ago. I rely on you smarter fellas to keep me in the loop on thoughts and opinions which I learn a lot from! Cheers!

Well by killhippies reply I can see why Upnp doesn't work. That is so very outdated its not even funny. And I know its not doing its job when I look into the Upnp port map table and see   3074-3074 UDP. I know that's incorrect because it should be reading 3074-3544 UDP.  I guess when I was buying my XR500 I didn't know I was buying an antique. lol.

Ready for the Super Bowl tonight!! Its going to be a barn burner!! 👍

Have a good Christmas!

Zippy.

4 minutes ago, Zippy said:

Well by killhippies reply I can see why Upnp doesn't work. That is so very outdated its not even funny. And I know its not doing its job when I look into the Upnp port map table and see   3074-3074 UDP. I know that's incorrect because it should be reading 3074-3544 UDP.  I guess when I was buying my XR500 I didn't know I was buying an antique. lol.

Ready for the Super Bowl tonight!! Its going to be a barn burner!! 👍

Have a good Christmas!

Zippy.

I think we crush! 

10 hours ago, Killhippie said:

Thanks Killhippie! Really makes me wonder what have we bought into here! Sounds like a mess to me. I guess this next new milestone is going to tell us all! But I have a pretty good feeling I will need to shop for something different.

Happy Holidays!

Cheers!

Zippy.

10 minutes ago, purpleandgold33 said:

I think we crush! 

Let give them a present they wont forget! ;) 

Zippy.

Guest Killhippie
On 12/23/2019 at 3:58 PM, purpleandgold33 said:

All netgear routers use the same version of miniupnpd, it should be easy to update but because Netgear have patched it with their secret sauce and never bothered updating it properly, nobody can replace it now as the fixes are proprietary. Voxel who creates the R7800/R9000/Orb, Netgear fork 3rd party firmware, updates all the stuff Netgear does not, but even he cant update miniupnpd, he turns UPnP off as its a security risk, which to be fair it always has been on any router which is why business routers don't use it.