What are cloud updates?

Hello, I'm new here and I got the Netgear XR450 Nighthawk this week. I checked the forum, and I see people asking for cloud updates for some games, and some of the staff talking about pushing said cloud updates. My question is, how do I get these cloud updates for my Geo-Filter, and what do they do exactly?

Thank you.

7 hours ago, Ownsin said:

Hello, I'm new here and I got the Netgear XR450 Nighthawk this week. I checked the forum, and I see people asking for cloud updates for some games, and some of the staff talking about pushing said cloud updates. My question is, how do I get these cloud updates for my Geo-Filter, and what do they do exactly?

Thank you.

They do cloud updates for mislocated servers. You can click on the hamburger icon top left of geofilter and click flush cloud. That would get you the most current on your geo. They do cloud updates every so often

The Geo-Filter works using a database of IP addresses and their locations. This database is updated frequently from many sources, but we can also go in and manually categorize servers. If servers are in the wrong place, we also have the ability to move them around. Our users can send us reports with servers they think are mislocated.

Currently we update our database every couple of weeks, but we're planning on increasing the frequency. Your router will automatically check for the latest data every night, but you can force an update by pressing FLUSH CLOUD.

Some games will work with Geo-Filter straight away, but others experience some issues that need to be fixed from our end. Luckily the cloud updates are automatic and do not require firmware updates.

1 hour ago, PharmDawgg said:

It would be awesome if the router's software would some how auto update or send the server's info back to the cloud. But may be that is a perfect world. lol

I was thinking about this myself for awhile now.

There's got to be a better way to get new games or even old one's working.

I play a game called Killer Instinct on Xbox One witch was released in 2013.

When I got my R1 year's ago I asked for them to get KI working.

It took a couple of weeks but eventually it worked.

Unfortunately it stopped working and I've been patiently waiting for them to update the cloud again for it to work.

I completely understand it's not a top priority because it's a really old game.

However they're being a way for me to get the game to work on my side without having to rely on the cloud or some way to update the cloud so my game works without having to come to the forum would be great!

With the number of DumaOS users increasing along with game's & platforms I foresee this becoming a bigger issue.

Possibly a weekly user cloud build that users can opt into? 

8 hours ago, ScottsGameRoom said:

I was thinking about this myself for awhile now.

There's got to be a better way to get new games or even old one's working.

I play a game called Killer Instinct on Xbox One witch was released in 2013.

When I got my R1 year's ago I asked for them to get KI working.

It took a couple of weeks but eventually it worked.

Unfortunately it stopped working and I've been patiently waiting for them to update the cloud again for it to work.

I completely understand it's not a top priority because it's a really old game.

However they're being a way for me to get the game to work on my side without having to rely on the cloud or some way to update the cloud so my game works without having to come to the forum would be great!

With the number of DumaOS users increasing along with game's & platforms I foresee this becoming a bigger issue.

Possibly a weekly user cloud build that users can opt into? 

That's an interesting idea. We certainly have a dedicated community, so i've no doubt they could put together a custom cloud update if we gave them the tools. This is certainly something worth discussing. I imagine we could do an online tool where you can submit suggested changes, and those changes are baked into the custom cloud update every week. Perhaps a system that allows you to vote on the accuracy of suggested changes. Perhaps a trust system where users who are known to be trustworthy have their changes instantly approved...

I mean this is all just an idea right now but I like it a lot. I'll bring it up with the devs.