50 ms ping

Cocoon992

Hi guys,

i would like to know if it’s possible to lower my ping. In game my ping on ps4 on modern warfare is 50ms.

i have the geo filter on my home location in belgium, 600km, ping assist 0, strict mode on. Is it possible to lower it to 30 ms ping? I have servers in nearby country’s like netherlands, france and germany.

Also i’m experiencing a lot of shoot first die first problems when i’ve put my isp router dmz to netduma r1. I have open nat type then but it feels  a lot worse then i’ve had nat type 2 is this possible?

thanks guys

Hello,

Do you know what your 'base ping' is? Or to put it another way, your lowest ping to the internet. If not, I'd suggest PingPlotter software (free), and ping to a server near you. If you don't know which servers are near you, just try pinging google.com and you should ping to the closest Google server for your location. Ping a few different locations near you to get a better idea of how low your ping can get.

You can also just use the command prompt in Windows (click Start and type CMD), then enter:

ping -n 10 bbc.co.uk

Change 'bbc.co.uk' to a known server near you. The '-n 10' means ping the server 10 times - change the 10 to however many times you want to ping the server.

Internet based ping utilities are available but the accuracy of them can be a bit dubious. The speedtest site https://www.speedtest.net/ is possibly about as accurate as you can get for an internet based ping test - just run a speed test and it should report your ping to a server (possibly) near you.

If your lowest base ping to a server near you is, say 50ms, then you are unlikely to ever get lower than 50ms in the game.

My base ping is around 10ms and the lowest in-game ping I get (as reported by my DumaOS router) is 11ms. But the Modern Warfare net-code/lag-compensation is a bit broken at the moment in my opinion. Lots of players are having a bad time.

You could also try what I do and place your DumaOS home location in a different country altogether! Sometimes having a higher ping can give you a better gaming experience if the net-code goes in your favour. You'll need to restart the game every time you change your location. That's just a general observation I've made.

If you test your internet connection on the PS4 and it says NAT Type 2, then that's good. All that means is that your PS4 is connecting to the internet via a router. A NAT Type 1 would mean your PS4 is connected directly to your modem.

Ideally, in-game (bottom-left of the screen), your NAT Type should be reported as being Open, but not Moderate or Strict.

Alternatively there's a little trick I use sometimes: 

• Set Distance to 200km (this doesn't really matter, the point is to make it a small circle)
  • Move the circle to a spot in the ocean (so that it isn't actually surrounding any servers)
  • In the Geo Filter Map Options:
    • check the box for Strict Mode
    • set ping assist to 30ms (you can lower this later as long as it's working)

This is basically telling your router to only connect outside of the circle IF it can find a connection of 30ms or less.  It can result in longer times connecting to a match, but it's always worked pretty well for me.  Again, you can change the ping assist value to find the sweet spot that works for your location.

It depends on your ISP and a number of things. You should get a lower ping from a geographical point of view. But depending on your equipment and the routing to the server you might not get it better.

From The Netherlands I get 8ms to AMS, 12-15ms to London and 15-18ms to Frankfurt. Paris is a bit odd as it gives 25ms. Spain gives me 25ms also and Italy gives me 28ms.

50ms in game is not bad by the way that is about 34ms for ICMP ping. It's nothing to worry about.

4 hours ago, Bat 'n' Ball said:

Hello,

Do you know what your 'base ping' is? Or to put it another way, your lowest ping to the internet. If not, I'd suggest PingPlotter software (free), and ping to a server near you. If you don't know which servers are near you, just try pinging google.com and you should ping to the closest Google server for your location. Ping a few different locations near you to get a better idea of how low your ping can get.

You can also just use the command prompt in Windows (click Start and type CMD), then enter:

ping -n 10 bbc.co.uk

Change 'bbc.co.uk' to a known server near you. The '-n 10' means ping the server 10 times - change the 10 to however many times you want to ping the server.

Internet based ping utilities are available but the accuracy of them can be a bit dubious. The speedtest site https://www.speedtest.net/ is possibly about as accurate as you can get for an internet based ping test - just run a speed test and it should report your ping to a server (possibly) near you.

If your lowest base ping to a server near you is, say 50ms, then you are unlikely to ever get lower than 50ms in the game.

My base ping is around 10ms and the lowest in-game ping I get (as reported by my DumaOS router) is 11ms. But the Modern Warfare net-code/lag-compensation is a bit broken at the moment in my opinion. Lots of players are having a bad time.

You could also try what I do and place your DumaOS home location in a different country altogether! Sometimes having a higher ping can give you a better gaming experience if the net-code goes in your favour. You'll need to restart the game every time you change your location. That's just a general observation I've made.

If you test your internet connection on the PS4 and it says NAT Type 2, then that's good. All that means is that your PS4 is connecting to the internet via a router. A NAT Type 1 would mean your PS4 is connected directly to your modem.

Ideally, in-game (bottom-left of the screen), your NAT Type should be reported as being Open, but not Moderate or Strict.

hey, when I run ping plotter ,  it starts with my ip address and say 50% packet loss on the first hop.  this cant be right,  if it was the network graph in bf5 should show packet loss and network settings on xbox shows no packet loss? 

Your router is just filtering ICMP requests. Ie it prevents flooding. As long as you get 100% to the final target it's fine. Not all servers / routers are happy with you pinging them all the time.

31 minutes ago, Bert said:

Your router is just filtering ICMP requests. Ie it prevents flooding. As long as you get 100% to the final target it's fine. Not all servers / routers are happy with you pinging them all the time.

also when I run ping plotter to a cod server the 3rd hop is out of line and the ping is higher if that makes any sense,  is there any thing that can be done with that? the jitter

is 35 also , could this 1 hop be causing the jitter to be so high?

Could be but then you should see it in the last result as well.

Note that the CoD servers don't respond to ICMP requests. So what you see on DumaOS and Pingplotter is usually the hop before that. Usually doesn't matter though as it is very close.

• Administrators

Some good suggestions here. The CoD ping includes things like processing delay etc which all games have but not all choose to show. This means it's higher than what your ping to the actual server is. The ping to the server is what you can control with the router, what is the ping to the server as shown by the Geo-Filter ping panel?