So some times video's wont load on my phone while on wifi with the R1?

lockit14

Have switched to old router, and it loadds everything fine, but when i try certain sites videos on the R1 on my iphone, it gives the message "Error Loading media file: File could not be played" 

i disable wifi and use data and it loads up just fine also.  

Have adjusted QoS, disabled it, and each option still doesn't change the ability for those sites to load videos.  

6 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

Well you tried everything that I would've suggested...

Does this only happen on one device, or on several?

Have you tried forgetting the wifi network from your phone and adding it again?

Nope, i've tried using my old phone also to test it.   It's the same situation.  It will work if i use old router, (can't use data since it's no longer active) yet if i am connected to the wifi using the R1 then it won't load the videos   

50 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Does your old router have AC WiFi - is that what you connect to? It may be the WiFi limitation on the R1. What is your bandwidth speeds?

Just worth mentioning that if i use a vpn it allows the videos to play fine while connected.  

Just wanting to figure out what's causing it so i don't have ot continuously use vpn like that. 

and uhh. not sure,   it was the netgear r6400 router  

Bandwidth based off speedtest.net?

• Administrators

To me this sounds like it could be a DNS issue - old router might be using a different DNS and VPN would use a different one so it's plausible. In the router settings override DNS and use primary 1.1.1.1 and secondary 1.0.0.1 see if that works.

6 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

To me this sounds like it could be a DNS issue - old router might be using a different DNS and VPN would use a different one so it's plausible. In the router settings override DNS and use primary 1.1.1.1 and secondary 1.0.0.1 see if that works.

i already do this by default.   have also tried doing 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 

both have the same issue. 

• Netduma Staff

Alright so DNS is ruled out, as is QoS / Bandwidth issues. Is this just standard YouTube videos you're not able to play? Does it happen to all videos? Also, you say you tried it using your phone data, but have you tried connecting directly to your modem to check if the modem is the problem?

16 minutes ago, Netduma Jack said:

Alright so DNS is ruled out, as is QoS / Bandwidth issues. Is this just standard YouTube videos you're not able to play? Does it happen to all videos? Also, you say you tried it using your phone data, but have you tried connecting directly to your modem to check if the modem is the problem?

I also checked on PC, which is hardwired into the R1 and it's the same issue. 

Using the old router everything works perfectly fine, so it's definitely something related to the R1. 

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Just looking back, the old router does have AC WiFi so it would have been able to max out your speeds. What speeds are you getting if you do a speedtest through the R1 WiFi?

I showed the speeds ^^^