Incorrect device status shown

I am running an XR500 on 2.3.2.56, where I have noticed that a connected device that is actively generating download traffic shows as offline and using zero bandwidth.  This makes me question whether the router is doing this for more than just this device, specifically when I may want to track down a device that is consuming unexpected bandwidth.

Please advise.

• Administrators

This is a known issue unfortunately so it will be fixed. There are only two workarounds to this at the moment, one is to reboot the router. The other is to downgrade to .32 or .40, you may miss out on some security updates this way but it will work. I realise it isn't ideal but it should be resolved for the next version.

On 11/2/2019 at 7:53 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

This is a known issue unfortunately so it will be fixed. There are only two workarounds to this at the moment, one is to reboot the router. The other is to downgrade to .32 or .40, you may miss out on some security updates this way but it will work. I realise it isn't ideal but it should be resolved for the next version.

Can we get a a date on when all of these known issues will be fixed? We've been hearing this since launch. 

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, stalker4hire- said:

Can we get a a date on when all of these known issues will be fixed? We've been hearing this since launch. 

As you're probably aware we're not giving out any deadlines/etas as they're always subject to change and especially for XR routers as they have their own testing process.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

As you're probably aware we're not giving out any deadlines/etas as they're always subject to change and especially for XR routers as they have their own testing process.

Yea, with the lack of QA and/or professionalism I wouldn't either. You can't give a timeline for an issue you fail to even try and resolve ya know. Not blaming you. If I were you I'd be leaving before it tarnishes my rep in IT/Tech. 

That sounded harsh after posting so I thought I'd add this... This issue started with Bo3 in the tail end. It has gone on unresolved for over 3-3.5 yrs. Through a OS milestone and several annual releases of the same game. What is strange is MWR worked perfect even though IW was a PITA. So the filter is set correctly as was it set the same in the beginning of Bo3. Also note this same explanation by Fraser has been given since that time frame. Of course Netduma you will post some BS, to save face, about not seeing posts go back that far blah blah blah. How about spend the time you spend looking at post history to find a resolution. Several people here are users from long ago that have been banned over and over for your failure to even try to resolve issues only make deals with a larger company who has brought zero help to the board just more issues and slower updates. Some of those very updates crippling the device. You can ban me but the fact still remains. Netduma staff you know and I know the truth. If you choose to sit on it that's on your conscience to carry. You universe and karma to pay for. Sad, sad, sad.....

The underlying netgear firmware is the problem. Bunch of old dead code and out of date kernals. The persons who wrote it are no longer around. Netgear doesn't know how to fix it, so they just keep on adding new stuff without updating anything. Imo, netgear is a terrible choice for a partner and the dumaos team is being bashed because of it. These routers will never work correctly without the base netgear code being updated and that's not going to happen. Too much money. So In the end, this experiment has failed. Only thing we can do is wait for this contract between duma and netgear to end and duma releases their own router once again!

Guest Killhippie
17 hours ago, Sunaikinti said:

The underlying netgear firmware is the problem. Bunch of old dead code and out of date kernals. The persons who wrote it are no longer around. Netgear doesn't know how to fix it, so they just keep on adding new stuff without updating anything. Imo, netgear is a terrible choice for a partner and the dumaos team is being bashed because of it. These routers will never work correctly without the base netgear code being updated and that's not going to happen. Too much money. So In the end, this experiment has failed. Only thing we can do is wait for this contract between duma and netgear to end and duma releases their own router once again!

While I totally agree about Netgears code base, releasing DumaoS Milestone 1.3 and not fixing any of the DumaOS bugs isn't down to Netgear. The R7800 that the XR500 is based on had a good QoS (Streamboost) had working IPv6 (Netgear has its ideas on that but it works as they filter ICMP) Vlan tagging and PPPoE all worked, Table view showing port miss matches thats a DumaOS issue as Netgears shows correctly. Now all of the basic Networking side of things worked well on the R7800 one of Netgears most successful routers, as far as I remember. 

DumaOS was a bit behind the times at release and saying (IPv6) was not a requested feature really got my back up (still does) its a standard networking feature of pretty much all routers these days. They also took away Access control and that never came back (Netgear) and Netduma never gave us so many promised updates like more icons for devices, a speed test button for re doing speedtests, all of which were promised at launch. I have to say I think both parties are guilty here. Good hardware but a shame Netduma could not control it more, but having any router running two lots of firmware is a nightmare waiting to happen. I'm will wait to see what happens with 3.0 but Netduma did no patching for their issues with milestone 1.3, Netgear patched some security issues and a few other things, but one public release since Dec 2018 is shameful on both sides.

This XR range of routers when you start pushing them as a router not just a gaming machine fall over way to easily and lack of communication and now no patches from Netduma till DumaOS 3.0 isn't filling me with promise for things to come, but time will tell and I really hope the guys patch DumaOS 3.0 with regularity, not move on to the next incarnation. Also Netgear need to rewrite from the ground up really, but that wont happen either. I really had hoped Netduma would push to get GPL code updated like Voxel does for the R7800, he can do that in a week or so, Netgear seem to not be bothered and Netduma didn't seem to try. <sigh>  Lets hope things change for the better with the next release.

I agree with a lot of what has been said here.. I can say this.. Anytime you have two separate firmware's running on any router and developed from two separate developers there is very little chance for success. This is why you don't see this type of combination in other routers. They know better. Your always better off sticking to a router that controls its own firmware completely.. That's why Netgear routers work better on there own and that also goes for the R1 working better on its own. Each are run on there own full firmware.  When I found out about how the XR series routers were running one firmware on top of another... I said oh boy!! This is going to be a nightmare.. And it has turned out exactly as I had figured.. One sloppy mess! 

This isn't at all like running a third party firmware on a router either. Because a lot of your third party firmware developers just fix what is broke in stock firmware. And tweak certain things to make them better. And all of this is done in a much more timely fashion. You cant say that at all with any of the XR series routers.. If there is a bug your SOL. There are bugs in the XR series routers that have been there for almost a year!! That is completely unheard of by any standards to go that length with zero attempts of patches.

My prediction on the new 3.0 firmware isn't some shinny bright star either. There will be attempts for some bug repair. But I don't think much bug repair will be done until after the release of 3.0 After that they will try and focus on repairs because god only knows what these new features will bring in for bugs on there own. The more I look into this the more I find it very hard to believe one will ever have a stable type router. Just to many things to go wrong with this type of configuration. And it would be to costly and time consuming to keep such a configuration running stable.. For those that are Netduma fans and supporters Id just wait for the right time for when Netduma ever decides to launch there own new router with there very own full firmware operating system where you can get 100% support at one place.. So much easier that way and it will be much more realistic and less problematic.

Make no mistake Netduma is a fantastic developer! But they will be much better served on there own where they can actually have full control..

Zippy.