hi all some help if you can please

boroade

im with virgin broadband 150 down 12 up but when ive been doing speed tests it doesn't work because its so slow when I finally get it to work my ping is 58 so ive got a virgin engineer booked out this morning but it has rectified itself im getting a 19 ping this morning through speed test using Ethernet through my duma tests the ping is 29  what do you think I should say to the engineer if he says its fine this morning as this happens a lot on and off hope you understand what im on about any help advice thanks

no mate I unplugged my duma to see what the superhub was doing it wasn't even giving me any speed so I rang them up its been doing this on and off since I had it installed im sure theres a problem at the box but this morning it seems to be ok typical

Well i have had same issues with them. So just to make sure are you using you net duma as a primary router or superhub is primary and net duma is in DMZ?

Grate for the time visit of the virgin guy i would unplug the duma and removed it for the set up and just keep the set up as it was when they did it for you.

Dont even mention to them using different router as as soon the would know that they would say it is the reason of trouble.

Now if i inderstand your problem is that your paing for internets speeds of 150 but you are not getting those at all right?

Well if you are just having problem with ping on speedtest.net i would aviod that pure balacks. You have a grate tool in duma router to test your line quality. Internet diagnostics.

Now if the speads are fluctuating you have to push the on that. I have had same issue with that i was paying for 100mb and sometimes i was getting only 12mb.

To fix that it actually took one tech visit he swaped my SH and grounded the cable it was fine after that.

yea mate I have tested the duma it gave me a 43 ms ping thanks for all your help ill take your advice onboard ive taken duma out and waiting for the engineer ill let you no how I get on thanks again lukasz

If it is congestion / contention then yes it will be worse at peak times on a night.

Right now people are at work/school so it will probably be fine until around 4pm then there will be not enough bandwidth to go round for all their users in your area and then the ping's will rise.

Tell him you realize the ping's will be fine at the moment as it is now off peak but the ping's rise on an evening.

Use the dumas network diag's and ping plotter to plot your ping over a long period of time as proof.

https://www.pingplotter.com/

Well if you are getting 43 base ping that looks like need more invastigating thought that means time.

For now on you can tackle you speed dropping issue. And when you called them did they say that they can see some problem?

Yebs like zennon sad and if i understand correct you have 2 issues.

One beeing unstable download and upload speeds and ping rising due to a peaky times right?

That is why i suggested to tackle the speeds now as for the ing issue you will need a lot more profs using tools provided by zennon.

thanks guys for your advice the problems happen in the day and night the ping is high and my download speed I only get 4 down when tested but like you have said not all the time but I can kind of feel it going wrong when im gaming then I get annoyed test it and see these rubbish results im having its happening a lot more frequent at the moment but thanks for help im still waiting for engineer and the guy on the phone said something about the box

Sure good luck. Like i sad above most likely they would be able to sort the speed issue today maybe both of them. Lest hope so.

Though my experience shows that unstable ping etc issue took a lot longer to fix. Lest hope better for you. Will see what happens and we will take it form there.

The speeds and the pings are normaly the same issue when there is contention/congestion there is not enough bandwidth to go round all the users the speeds drop and the pings rise.

It acts like local congestion as if you are flooding 100% of your coneection so the pings rise.

he has just been says theres nothing wrong with equipment but ive got a utilisation problem peeking over 90 percent which he says is bad but said to me theres probably nothing they can do its just congestion brilliant not

Before we go any further lest wait for someone more knwoldagbel if in this case scenario is there are some possibilities.

If they are there is some methods to make virgin change its mid. I have had technicians from them at my place saying no we cant do that etc. And so many times it was just bulshit.

But first we have to see form more technically minde memebres of this forum what the possibilities are.

do you think I can get out of my contract through this thanks

well i am not a lawyer but if someone can deliver what you are paying for then seems reasonable to do that.

• Administrators

I imagine they'd have something in their contract protecting themselves from this but I'm not sure. It might be worth seeing how far you can go with them, see what they'd be willing to do, comp some of your bill etc but sounds like they won't do much unfortunately. 

Archived