xr500 Dumaos / double nat/ upnp unsuccessful

i have recently purchased this router and forgive me if i posted this in the incorrect section. i keep running into a problem where if i am on router mode i have double nat type. All the threads i could find on the internet that indicates you have more then one router on your network that is producing wifi. in my case i don't. my internet provider is wireless internet company so my router is directly connected to their equipment with no modem. 

i have tried port forwarding, setting up the wan/lan, turning the router on and off multi times and haven't had any luck. i did have a little success when i turned the router into AP mode. the issue with that is after about 30 minutes or so my Xbox claims my upnp was unsuccessful and while in AP mode i have no control over it and cant turn it off and back on again. so i have to continually switch between ap and router mode which is really inconvenient every 30 minutes. i'm starting to think i made a bad investment with this router.

is there a fix? or should i return this over priced box and try a different brand? 

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Built in router here by chance? If so,This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,

1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem. 

On 10/26/2019 at 7:42 PM, jacolby said:

i have recently purchased this router and forgive me if i posted this in the incorrect section. i keep running into a problem where if i am on router mode i have double nat type. All the threads i could find on the internet that indicates you have more then one router on your network that is producing wifi. in my case i don't. my internet provider is wireless internet company so my router is directly connected to their equipment with no modem. 

i have tried port forwarding, setting up the wan/lan, turning the router on and off multi times and haven't had any luck. i did have a little success when i turned the router into AP mode. the issue with that is after about 30 minutes or so my Xbox claims my upnp was unsuccessful and while in AP mode i have no control over it and cant turn it off and back on again. so i have to continually switch between ap and router mode which is really inconvenient every 30 minutes. i'm starting to think i made a bad investment with this router.

is there a fix? or should i return this over priced box and try a different brand? 

Welcome to the forums!

The problem you're experiencing isn't unique to the XR500 and would actually happen with any router you bought. The problem is with the ISP equipment you're connecting it to. Any router connected underneath another router will need to be given special permissions by the upstream router in order to function correctly.

As @e38BimmerFN said, if possible you should put the ISP router into bridge/modem mode. If you give us the model number we might be able to help you get this done.