LAG and Bad Ping all of sudden

Had modem, internet, and this router for well over 1 year all tuned and working great. However, the last 2 weeks been having horrible PING and LAG spikes. Lost Packets.. Bounced router and modems several times.. I am at a loss why all of a sudden network downgraded like 400%. Any ideas - I would be grateful.

There are many things that could be causing this, unfortunately it is going to be a process of elimination i'm afraid. I would try replacing the cables from the modem to the socket and the ethernet cable from the modem to the router and the router to the computer in order to rule out a faulty cable issue. Then it would be a case of connecting the pc directly to the modem if possible and then testing the connection to rule out a modem fault. Then add the router and only have the pc connected and see if that is ok also. If after everything looks the same after all that then it is more than likely a faulty line issue or isp issue in which case a call out may be needed by them.

If you wanted to get some software tests out of the way first, you could try going to QoS > Anti-Bufferbloat side menu and ticking Disable QoS. If that doesn't make a difference, we'll know it's not to do with QoS.

How do I tell whether the problem is internal or with the line (my provider). Is there an easy way to tell that? Perhaps by using pingplotter or something like that? I have a feeling its the line and would like to determine first if it is in my house(control) or not.

if you have another router you can replace the Netduma router with and see if your ping has dropped, you can try that 1st. If the problem still persists then try swapping cables.

4 hours ago, yodastoe said:

How do I tell whether the problem is internal or with the line (my provider). Is there an easy way to tell that? Perhaps by using pingplotter or something like that? I have a feeling its the line and would like to determine first if it is in my house(control) or not.

Here in the UK we have a test socket behind the master socket faceplate.

You place a filter in the test socket then connect the modem/router to it via an RJ11 cable the you can test with ping plotter directly from the modem/router.

I do not know about the US etc so I would test directly from your ISP modem/router via Ethernet to a computer running ping plotter. Run a test on PP using twitter.com using no other bandwidth (use on an idle line)

If there is still an issue buy new cables from the wall to the modem/router and new Ethernet.

If there is still an issue contact your ISP