Help with ping/fortnite

I have been reading some forums because I feel with my equipment/ internet speeds and also with location my ping should would be way lower, I’ve tried multiple different set ups and can’t seem to get any better. One of the forums I read mentioned that because Of the way the one user had his set up he would only see the server when he is in game and that’s what happens to me and I only have one server show everytime. If I deny that server I lose connection and get booted from the game, I have my modem > xr500> Xbox one, just was hoping for ideas

It sounds like the one server you're seeing might be an authentication server. Does it have a white ring around it?

What game are you trying to play?

If you put the Geo-Filter into spectating mode, do any more servers appear?

Playing fortnite and and it does have white ring around it.  If I try to deny that server during gameplay it will make me lose connection or sometimes I’ll get like a dotted white ring around it. But yesterday after posting the last one I reset everything like my modem and my router, as per another post I saw, I put my location over the ocean and put it in spectating mode, I connected to a different server with a better ping and hit allow and then I moved my location to my actual location ( Buffalo, NY) and swapped to filtering mode and than after that one game it would connect to that good server again. I did try that ping plotter again and I don’t get any packet loss or red lines but it’s almost like in the very start I will get a few high spikes,  and than after it’s sort of steady, I tried to give you all the info I could to help you help me

Wanted to give an update so I log on fortnite to play and it connected to a different server the first few games, this was also the server I used to always connect to, to have 20-30ping which is great for cable modem and not fiber optic, however after 2 games it stopped connecting to this one and started connecting to the other where it was around 50-60, so I moved my location on spectating mode so the good server would be in the circle and the bad outside of it but everytime I go to launch match making now it shows the bad server with a triangle around, so I click on it and hit deny and then and I can’t even get into a match, it backs me out   I repeat this a bunch of times because I know from reading multiple forums that it’s not the same server I keep denying just same location, during typing this post I have denied 7 servers ,if I could always stay connected to that one server I would be so happy, any ideas on how to make that happen? 

The server with the white circle around it has been whitelisted by us because it's an authentication server. If this server is blocked, the game won't be able to connect at all.

Servers with dotted lines around them are servers that have been allowed by Ping Assist. These servers are outside of your radius and are only allowed because their ping is lower than your Ping Assist value.

A good solution for you might be to put the radius in the middle of the ocean and just rely on Ping Assist. This way, servers will be allowed from anywhere as long as they're low ping. This also helps if there are mislocated servers on the map.

so during all my attempts I did end up figuring that part out about the ping assist, my last attempt consist of almost just that where I dropped the radius around only the good server and dropped the ping assist to around 28 because I don’t think I ever got that low with the bad but still the same one connected. The issue is with my location I am at work and by the time I get out I think it is night time for you so here is my plan and also I had some questions for you to help me with them tonight since I won’t be able to get a response till tomorrow. I will drop the radius in the ocean and just keep dropping the ping assist by an interval of 2 to see if that helps. If I do get that good server back is there anything I can do my end to “ lock it in place” essentially. Also what is the best way to reset everything? Restarting the game or Xbox or router? And you mentioned that the server with white ring is one that it is blocked by you guys but there is one super close to me and it will pop up on the map at the start of each game and then go away but when I do get a chance to ping to it, it always is super low and might be the best one so is there a way to unblock that for me so I would be able to use that one or is it not possible? Also thanks for the help it’s just crazy the difference from mid 20s ping to 50-60, almost like a different a game 

The one with the ring around it is whitelisted, which means that it's permanently unblocked. If you're unable to connect to it for a game, it's either because it's full, or because the server is just for authentication purposes and doesn't actually host games.

The only way to lock a server into place is to allow it and give it a memorable name. If you very specifically want that server, you could try putting the radius directly on top of it, although that has varied levels of success depending on which game you're playing.

Any time that you change Geo-Filter settings, you should close the game and open it again. You don't need to restart the Xbox, you just need to open the menu, press Start and choose Quit, then start the game up again.

Okay I will try that tonight and give you an update,  and I think you are right about the one server, I think it is just the matchmaking one, if it only wants to connect to that server location with the higher ping, is there anything I could try to do to get a faster ping to that server because sometimes it will drop to a really good ping but only for a few seconds and than it’s right back up to 50-60s so it is compatible of hitting those lower ones which is why I think it was still connecting to it with the ping assist at lower numbers. 

• Administrators

It's worth mentioning that 'allowing' a server by adding it to the list does not guarantee you will get it every time. It simply means you will be able to connect to it despite whatever Geo-Filter settings you may have at the time (e.g. if it would normally be blocked by being outside the radius it would be allowed) but this does not mean you will get it all the time. The only thing you have control over when it comes to ping is the distance (done already) and local congestion. If you're not using QoS currently I would suggest you do so and this could potentially lower the ping if you had congestion. Most likely that when it shows as a low ping briefly that isn't the case and it's just establishing a connection.

The way Fortnite works is it only searches for a server once you're already loading into that player running around lobby. If you block it at this stage you have to wait for it to kick you back. You essentially have to keep trying for a server until you get the one you want.

Thanks for the update and I am

using QoS,  but I have been debating about have my provider come out to test my lines because it has been awhile just to make sure everything is working as it should there. How many servers could be in the same location cause last night I would join a game check the server, deny it back it out and start another but if there could be 100 servers+ in the same location I’ll be there all night 

• Administrators

That definitely couldn't hurt. It's impossible to say, there could easily be 100's you're right. I don't think you need to specifically add them to the deny list because you'll still load in and block it anyway and get kicked back. I'd just keep it on spectating mode, see if you get the server you want and if not back out straight away, it is probably quicker than waiting to be kicked each time.

So I hop after work and try putting the radius in the ocean and putting spectating mode on, first game nothing, connected to Same  bad location. The second game it worked and I was connected to that good one but after that game it was back to the bad servers again and I tried everything. The weird thing is if put the radius around the location where the good server is with filtering mode on and a ping assist of 0 it will try to connect to the bad location but not be able to jump into a game because it’s block. Also when I run a speed test on my Xbox it connects to that good location to run the speed test. The other thing I tried was to just keep denying servers from that location to see if it eventually connected me to the good one or even somewhere else  and I denied 25 servers and wasted 2 hrs of my time,  I’m at a loss. 

• Administrators

The game will try and connect you to whatever server is available at the time and they probably have their own calculations on what server to put you on. As I mentioned that is how the game works and we can't work around that as they pick the server once you're loading in. All you can do is leave in spectating mode and then just keep leaving the lobby until you get into the server you want, I realise that's frustrating but there isn't much that can be done if you want that server every time.

• 4 years later...