Ping Assist

I am in San Diego, California. When I use Geo Filter, I normally set my radius with strict mode enabled for known good server areas that usually give a ping less than 30mS.  Recently, I started noticing a few servers (peer servers?) that have been popping up in this radius with pings of 75 to 100 mS.  I tried blocking them , bu they keep popping up.  Therefore, I set my geo location into the ocean (west of San Deigo) with a tiny circle and use my ping assist set to 30mS.   With this setup I would still get servers  that were 40 to 70mS.  

Why does this happen?  FYI - Fast Search is disabled.

EDIT - I was playing COD BO4. 

If they are peers, it might be that they were all connecting through the dedicated server. If your link to the dedicated server was quick enough, then it would not be blocked. You can't control from your end which players the server allows and disallows since you don't control the server. As long as you've got a good connection to the server, you should have the advantage.

It might be that the peers that are appearing on the map are just the direct link for voice chat, and the actual gameplay is going through the server.

To clarify, I am trying to find out why the ping assist is not working. It happens a lot if I play less populated game modes. 

Typically the BO4 in game ping value is about 15mS above the Netduma host ping.  When I connect to servers outside the ping assist value, the BO4 in game ping is consistent with the 15mS above. Even if I quickly connected to the server, why would it not kick me after it realized the ping especially since I was not connected for 2 minutes.  

Well DumaOS doesn't terminate existing connections, it only blocks connections as they are occuring. If the initial ping was good, but it later increases, only the initial ping will be taken into account.

If you've got Fast Search selected, you should disable it.

Fast Search is off.  Because of the initial problems, I have been watching the host ping when I first start games.  From what it displays on the screen, the host ping starts above the 30mS limit.  Most of the time, the connections are in Texas. I have been gaming with the COD servers for years, and typically Texas connections are around 40mS .  I would not expect that connection to be lower than 30mS.  For that reason, I changed my ping assist to 25mS and 20mS for different tests.  It still allowed me to connect to servers with higher pings.  In one instance, it connected me to a New York server, which was about 70mS.

On 9/29/2019 at 2:44 PM, UK_Wildcats_Fans said:

I am in San Diego, California. When I use Geo Filter, I normally set my radius with strict mode enabled for known good server areas that usually give a ping less than 30mS.  Recently, I started noticing a few servers (peer servers?) that have been popping up in this radius with pings of 75 to 100 mS.  I tried blocking them , bu they keep popping up.  Therefore, I set my geo location into the ocean (west of San Deigo) with a tiny circle and use my ping assist set to 30mS.   With this setup I would still get servers  that were 40 to 70mS.  

Why does this happen?  FYI - Fast Search is disabled.

EDIT - I was playing COD BO4. 

What's up !!! First of all ping assist is broken as right now so you should disabling it by entering 0 then enter !!! It works but is broken...so the dedis you see as peers are dedis (you can confirm with ping stats...all dedis will have an ip adress with either Choopa.net-Setaptr-Vultr-Game servers-Amazon ect...beside the ip adress in Domain Name) !!! The reason i say it works is the reason why you banned them but they still pop in...because the ping assist let them in !!! The bans are like putted aside by ping assist as it only task is to Allow pings you selected even if they outside of your radius(the distance you set from home location) so it kind of bypass bans and radius !!! Now the reason i say it is broken now... it not only don't care about bans...it also allow way higher pings than what you setted !!! I've tried mine at 7ms like my line is and at 16ms  ... both have let dedis pop in with higher than 40ms !!! Last week i've finally fixed my XR500 stability issues by downgrading to the .40a fix and factory resets(8 times each in a row) because the .56 broke more things than any firmwares out there and it is impossible to stabilize it on .56 while i can stabilize any XR500 on earlier versions (best firmware for XR500 is .40a fix) and by stabilizing the XR500 i talk about stabilizing your Tickrate and that's impossible with .56 !!! Also on .56 when computer shut off...not sleep but Real power OFF then the light of it's lan on the XR500 becomes Red meaning it is in sleep mode !!! It does the exact same problem as with my Premium 4K UN55NU8000 while hooked via lan on every other firmware versions...and i didn't even tried it again while on .56 since it made the same problem with my 1 month and a half old Ryzen 3000 computer !!! It's because of that problem i recommend everybody to buy monoprice Cat8 cables for complete cat8 setup (between modem and router and between router and devices) and then hook problematic device like my premium tv via wifi 5ghz... you will have a better experience than via cable since it wont trigger the lan problems thus keeping your setup flawless like it should !!! Also cat8 from monoprice runs at 2000mhz and 40gb/s so all your setup will run at that 2000mhz lightness 😛 bringing a much better experience with every devices in the setup !!! Also even my Premium Samsung shit only have a 100mb/s card on them so you have way more bandwith with 5ghz wifi vs 100mb/s lan !!! Do i need to tell anybody that a 100mbs card is not enough bandwith for a decent 4k streaming ??... cause it's really not ;) !!! Because of these lan problems i always use and recommend to use a wifi device to manage Duma Os...i use my phone with Chrome only for managing Duma Os and i only use a computer to upgrade or downgrade of the firmwares as it is Extremely Important to prevent and/or fix weird problems !!!    So while doing my tests between each firmwares and factory resets i tried ping assist again...also tried 3 days ago as it was hard to find dedis (in my case it's now rare that it happen) and it found absolutely 0 dedis... even raised it to 30 ms and that 30ms let all usa dedis in with 2-3 exceptions only... nothing at all !!! Restarted everything and in the real proper way...still found nothing at all !!! Flushed cloud and restarting everything the proper way again...still find no dedis for BO4 with my 7ms line !!! I decided to disabling it again...flush cloud like i always do when having hard times finding dedis (rare in my case but still happens) and then after restarting everything the proper way Boom everything was back to normal...instant access to a lot of dedis !!!

Also note that this is an old trick for the old os of R1 routers to put your home location in water at 111km radius and with ping assist On .... and that's really not a good idea with Duma Os !!! Put your home to the closest of where you live and then set your radius accordingly to get 2 dedis at different locations if possible inside a 1000km radius !!! If the second nearest dedis is at higher than 1000km i recommend disabling auto ping then start game to see dedis on your geofilter map then click the ones you'd like to test (1 at time only) and scroll down to see ping of this dedis then allow it !!! Do that on the ones that are outside your -1000km radius and when ready to test them just enable auto ping again...refresh the page of the geo filter and restart your console then enter and play your game !!! Once in a while it will select the dedis outside your radius so you'll then be able to test them and then decide if you keep them or deny them (but since they'll be outside your radius you'll just need to remove them from the Allow/Deny list ;)) !!!  You also can simply put your home where the dedis to test are with smallest radius possible so it will straight away test them instead of waiting to fall on them !!! Then i would recommend you to remember (maybe with screenshots) the location of the tested dedis that are in real world located at more than 1000kms from you... then 3 factory resets in a row (once rebooted after each factory reset you should unplug power cable from it then wait 30sec or press power button 6-7 times to release current from the router...plug back power and power on...factory reset again...ect ect ect ) then properly set your router internet-lan-wan-wifi then you add one by one every devices you have that will hook to your setup...name them and reserve ip for every devices...don't do geo filter and Qos yet...reboot router when every devices will be reserved and hooked and close aka shut off every devices except the one you use to manage...now Qos untick duma classified games... add your console(s)...for bandwith allocation you want it equal for every devices except led lights and/or devices that don't really need internet to work so i set Led lights at 0 on both upload and download then save each...so it's like if i don't have Led lights on my setup but they are and they just don't use any internet  😛 so all my bandwith is equally shared to 4 devices in my setup even if more than 4 devices are hooked to it meaning more bandwith for devices that matters !!! Once done your last setting is geo filter... i select zoom x15 and i then select my home location...once home location is selected and auto applied refresh the page to confirm it have saved your proper home location...i then unzoom and let it at basic x2.5 !!!  Never touch that setting again cause i found out that it cause problems in the long run !!! You can add your console up there in geo filter !!! Now get back on Qos tab... set both slidders to 70/70 and Always !!! Restart router and close managing device aka shut off !!! Once the main 4 lights will be white you remove power cord from the router and also from your modem or Aio ... press modem or Aio power button on off 6-7 times then let it at off and plug power cord back then power on... wait 3mins... now put power button of router to off and plug back power cord then power on router...when the 4 main lights are white you can start devices and test gaming !!! Before every gaming session... you have to disable both share excess before starting console (you enable them when finishing gaming) then you start console... do a manual internet setup with the same ip you reserved for it earlier... if in result you have a message telling This router might not handle packets fragmentation... that means your mtu is not set properly !!! My vdsl2 7ms setup runs mtu 1492 and my ftth 1ms runs 1500mtu like for cable lines !!! Setting mtu manually is best !!! As this is for COD... knows that COD perfect bandwith in game is between 4110 and 4128kb... i mostly always have 4117 or 4118 and that's the first thing you check when entering COD also as your Open state !!! If under 4110 ingame we restart game again till we have that bandwith !!! Once you confirmed you are Open and with around 4117kb ingame bandwith... then you'll start playing !!! If you feel your running heavier like you now 568pounds vs your normal average 165pounds... raise your download by 2 at time...so 72...74...76... just until you walk and move lightier (download affect your lower body aka legs) If you find your bullets don't always register like flawlessly...raise your upload (it's upper body aka arms and bullet registration related)still by 2 so 72...74...76... !!! I suggest finding the optimal upload first then the download !!! My down is at 78 and my up is at 98 !!! Understand that not a lot of devices uses upload when not asking them to there is less congestion on upload meaning you can raise next to top 100 but don't be stupid it won't help at 100... at 98 my bullets are precisely killin everything it touch as soon as it touch it but 99 or 100 cause them to less register like if set at 70 !!! It's been months now since i didn't had to play with the slidders... i just had to test again and raising them a lil bit after successfully bringing back my XR500 to a stable state... but for the last 7months my down was at 76 and upload at 94...same results on every COD's we tested and whatever time of day or night...day after day same flawless experience !!! Now having same flawless experience but with a lil bit higher specs 😛 (had to test again because things have again changed in internet and in COD's) so we have to adapt like i did !!!

If you have an Aio instead of a modem then Bridge it or put only 1 dhcp adress and dmz your router !!! If you're lucky your Aio can have an option named Advanced DMZ...if you have that enable that as it will give your router a public ip like your modem/Aio gets from isp (so it's almost exactly a bridge mode and that's what we use on the ftth 1ms setup running R1 Duma Os with Bell Canada Home Hub 3000... my 7ms vdsl2 setup runs XR500 and AIO in real bridge mode that is not available on bell home hub 3000 just like my Aio don't have an Advanced DMZ so bridge mode and pp0e on XR500)

If you go in internet setup on duma os XR500... under pp0e you have Connection method... select Always On !!! I myself test my isp dns and set both to the same so i always have the same experience as both dns won't run same ping so you should test them and select to use only the best dns your isp provide by entering same ip for both dns !!!

In Wan... disable igmp proxying... if you setup with duma help your mtu should be right there...mine is 1492... Nat Filtering should be set at Open and more important if you have more than one gaming console or devices that play the same games...like BO4 !!! Disable Sip Alg...apply !!!

Lan is where you've reserved ip's to devices... also where you change the ip to manage your router (i set mine at 50.1) and where you can set the number of devices you'll let hook to your setup...only allow 3 more devices...so if only 5 devices will hook...at all times... allows like 8 in dhcp server like 192 168 50.15 to 50.23 !!!

Wireless: Never use Smart Connect... NEVER !!! Enable 20/40 mhz Coexistence (much important thing when you scan more than 3 wifi setups near you with phone or wifi devices) Now choose Channel 11 for 2.4g and 153 for 5ghz !!!

Usb storage : i disable media servers as i don't use that so i remove chances to bad peeps to enter by that way in my setup !!!

Advanced wifi:   Let 2.4g wmm option ticked but untick it for 5ghz !!! Down there i disable router's pin and keep: Keep existing wireless settings ticked also as beamforming ticked and mu-mimo ticked !!!

In Advanced settings you can also make sure ipv6 is disabled !!! 

That's all the settings i use and recommend to everybody except for when exceptions occur...like if for any reason you really need Sip ALg then just re enable it but do try with it disabled as it is an old tech not really needed anymore for most people !!!

So try that and the settings i shared...like i shared...not in a different way since we won't be able to know what caused wich problems ect !!! I have done this a lot of times and now once i've done all this so many times i know exactly how to handle these XR500 and R1 and that makes me able to help others with proper explications and settings also as proper ways to do things !!! I know it's long to read...please try to figure out how many mins i've spend just to write this in another language 😛 ah ah ah So sorry if it's a long text... but you're not alone to read and i do try to give more explications so more people in our Duma ARMY start understanding proper things so they too can enjoy their Duma Os routers also as their gaming sessions !!! I might forgot something once in a while and i'm sorry if i do... also as i try to use the proper words to explain things even when it's hard to explain to people without my knowledge...and not in my first language ;) !!!

Test that and you'll enjoy your gaming sessions more and more as you'll fine tune the sliders only... and only when every other settings are properly done !!!

I didn't even include My XR500 fix to make it handle Tickrate never dropping under 120 !!! So set things up...test a lil bit... while you play check your auto ping cause it shows Tickrate in real time... if you never see it dropping to 60s so it stays around 120 and jumping to around 180-200 once in a while... then your XR500 is miraculously stable !!! If it drops from 120 to 60 each 1 to 3 seconds...then your XR500 is Unstable...and at that point just ask me i'll give you the trick(or search on the forum and or youtube and or twitter as i've already gave the trick with almost same settings i just gave you) ;) !!!   I will start making vids on my youtube soon since i now have my Ryzen 3000 baby... so i'll post here on the forum with links to my vids !!! 

Have an awesome gaming sessions homies !!! Take care... Peeeaace !!! DMC ✌️

@DMC_81Thank you for the response.  You probably win the award for the longest post on the forum.  LOL.  

Here are some images to help show.

See the attached images.  I originally had my geo filter set to include western USA.  See image #3.  This normally worked.  If the Texas servers were an issue, I reduced the radius to exclude Texas.  I then started having peer server issues from Nevada.  See image #1.  You can see that I have been blocked them.   I then went to a small circle in the ocean and using ping assist at 25mS.  See image #2.  As you can see from the image it was connecting to a Texas server with a 48mS ping.  I tried to capture the image as soon as COD BO4 connected to the server.  

Ping Assist Issues 1.jpg

Ping Assist Issues 2.jpg

Ping Assist Issues 3.jpg

• Administrators

That server in picture two wasn't ping assisted by the look of it. Was it a solid circle around it? Looks like either you've allowed it in the past or it's been whitelisted. Also would put strict mode on if you're wanting to just use Ping Assist.

I thought strict mode would only keep the servers within the radius regardless of ping assist.   I have factory reset my router, and have not allowed any servers.  The only two servers on my Allow / Denny list are the blocked ones that you see in the image.  Yes, it is a solid circle around the server in the 2nd image.

Strict Mode guarantees that dedicated servers outside of your filter range will always be blocked. This should be ticked when searching in most games, except Destiny where we recommend this box is unticked.

Nope if you disable strict mode nothing works at all like it won't block either peers or dedis !!! You have to get Strict mode enabled at all time !!! Even then...like i explained... your ping assist will overpass both the radius and the ban list and yes Alex it is a bug in Duma Os as ping assist was working veryyyy good on R1 before Duma Os and also in the beginning of Duma Os !!!

If you want to know how to know if it's allowed via ping assist or via radius or via Allowed list...it's simple... radius or Allowed dedis and peers will have a full circle around them .... while ping assist will make a chopped circle around them !!!

Also mr UK Wildcats... not only you should do like i mentioned in the long reply  😛  but also understand that in my situation... i only play on New Jersey dedis aka the one on your pic you called Northeast dedis... don't care it is located at 600some kms while Montreal dedis they removed from BO4 is 5km away and 7ms... the normal New Jersey dedis ping between 15 and 18ms (on my straight 7ms vdsl2 line)... normally one physical location like in this case New Jersey is supposed to have a couples of dedis at same location and with same beginning of id's and same ending of id's....confirming you it's physically located at same real world location (it's been like that with netduma for the past 4years) well right now there is around 20 different id's batch numbers meaning they all appears at New Jersey on my map but aren't at the same real world location like there is california and other cities dedis poppin in New Jersey on the map... running at 18ms and up instead of between 15-18ms and they behave differently !!! So like i explained in my long answer... you have to test and manually block the bad ones !!! If all have the same id's begin and ending then they located at same real world location so then try other locations (but like i said there is a lot of mislocated dedis showing on locations they not belong to so i would be surprised if your problematic location have only the same batch id's) !!!

Also note that even on the same exact dedi... if you didn't fine tune your sliders like i also mentioned you will struggle a lot in gaming sessions like sometimes it will be flawless and sometimes you will feel like a noob... on same exact dedis with same exact settings and without isp line problems !!! So once all big settings are done you have to finetune like i explained with lot of details in...yes in my long answer 😛 ah ah ah !!!

Thank you for your response.  All these years with the R1 and now XR700, I never really played with ping assist.  I either used geo filter with ping assist at 0 or geo filter disabled.  Just another case of user error and forgetting things in my older age. 

Ah Ah Ah  Not errors brah... i call that play with things to learn things !!!  ;)  After factory reset 3 times in a row you should put your settings like i mentioned with home to proper real world location and then when everything is done aka proper settings & reboot you should test while looking at Auto ping to see if your tickrate is stable or not because TICKRATE is MORE IMPORTANT than PING !!! 7ms dedis are shit when Tickrate is unstable vs 18ms dedis with stable tickrate !!! Call Of Duty runs at 120 minimum guys !!! If you see your tickrate staying at around 60...you have a problem !!! If you see your Tickrate bouncing from 60 to 120 to 60 to 120 to 60 every seconds or two... You have a problem i call UNSTABLE !!! I found a working way to stabilize it and i've explained everything but also in preparation of doing video about it !!! 

Please note R1 users...  

R1 is not able to handle 120 tickrate with duma os...yet !!! It max out at around 100 !!! Like running between 80 and 100 Ticrates !!! It's sad in a way but on the other side the R1 with Duma Os is more stable than XR500 so you don't need to workaround like us to stabilize your Tickrate 😛  !!!  And before anyone think wrongly... no it's not line related aka same results on second setup 2 months ago when line was 9-11ms cable and now with the new line aka 1ms FTTH 1,5gbs/1gbs ...also same result with the R1 on my main setup aka Straight 7ms VDSL2 while my XR500 on both setups with the 3 different type of lines always run at +120 when stabilized by my lil knowledge 😛 ah ah ah ;) !!!  That's the main reason why the XR perform better than R1 and why to step up from R1 to XR series !!!

XR500 USERS : WARNING !!! .56 breaks your router and make it impossible to stabilize !!! The best of all firmwares for XR500 to date is .40a fix !!! If you are on .56 you'll have to downgrade to .32 then factory then unplug then factory then unplug then factory then unplug..now update to .40a fix and reboot...factory reset...let reboot...unplug...hold factory reset pin on back of router for 10 seconds...plug back...power on router...last factory reset...reboot...unplug...press back power button 6-7 times in a row...plug back...power on and now set everything like i already explained earlier in this same thread !!!   (PS: when i say Factory reset... Always do it by pressing the Factory Reset pin on the back of the router...hold for 10 seconds and release)

ALWAYS UPDATE FIRMWARE VIA LAN aka with lan cable aka wired AND ALWAYS MANAGE ROUTER VIA WIFI 2.4g !!!

YES it is time consuming...but you'll properly fix your router and from there YOU WILL REALLY ENJOY GAMING !!!

Take care... Peeeaace !!!  DMC81 aka DMC51450 

👽🍻