Curious??

CrossFitKila717

• Administrators
50 minutes ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

Oh gotcha.......I was under the impression that Beta was a trial in a sense, such as in the game MW4 Beta, with the intent of the full/complete version on its way. 

Beta is such a popular term nowadays that its' true meaning has been lost. Take for example the MW Beta, it isn't really a beta because the game is being launched next month, I'd say it's more like a demo and test for things that can be changed quickly such as gametypes, weapon characteristics etc.  Betas are usually semi early versions of software etc that is being tested and there is usually much longer than a month between the end of a beta and a release. Of course it can vary from company to company, beta is just a very marketable term these days that gets people excited. Beta vs demo I know what sounds better to me.

5 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Beta is such a popular term nowadays that its' true meaning has been lost. Take for example the MW Beta, it isn't really a beta because the game is being launched next month, I'd say it's more like a demo and test for things that can be changed quickly such as gametypes, weapon characteristics etc.  Betas are usually semi early versions of software etc that is being tested and there is usually much longer than a month between the end of a beta and a release. Of course it can vary from company to company, beta is just a very marketable term these days that gets people excited. Beta vs demo I know what sounds better to me.

Right, so as you said “semi early versions of software etc that is being tested and there is usually much longer than a month between the end of a beta and a release.” 

I could be wrong but that seems as though there’s an end date to the Beta, which could imply that a completed, well tested version will follow? Am I on the right track or no?

Thanks. 

Well DumaOS is only in beta on the R1. On all of the Netgear Nighthawk Pro Gaming routers we don't consider it a beta anymore. The fact that we call it a beta on the R1 is just a holdover from the transition from the original firmware to DumaOS.

There will certainly be updates, big things are on the horizon, but whether those will still be under the umbrella of "beta" or not, I don't know.

Essentially, it's semantics, it won't affect the product.